British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

Just now, SCB said:

3 would be 83% made a loss and not 98%

Ok still not very healthy 

12 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Is that the norm? I'm obviously very naive but for clubs to expect riders to pay back part of a sign on fee when injured is morally wrong. 

Put yourself in their shoes. You sign a rider, agree a large sign on fee paid 1st February. Your rider injures himself first week of April whilst riding outside Poland and is out for 2 months. Wouldn’t you want your money back. 

2 minutes ago, DWP said:

Ok still not very healthy 

Bloody terrible,if that's the case :o

3 minutes ago, DWP said:

Put yourself in their shoes. You sign a rider, agree a large sign on fee paid 1st February. Your rider injures himself first week of April whilst riding outside Poland and is out for 2 months. Wouldn’t you want your money back. 

I'm obviously more compassionate than the Poles. I don't believe in kicking someone when they are down. Everyone knows the sport is risky, seems the Poles want the riders to take ALL the risk.

I think we now have a generation of men in their 20's, 30's and 40's (maybe more) who are obsessed by betting on sport, who probably find it strange that speedway meetings don't allow on-course betting. Look at who sponsors a lot of sport nowadays......

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

I'm obviously more compassionate than the Poles. I don't believe in kicking someone when they are down. Everyone knows the sport is risky, seems the Poles want the riders to take ALL the risk.

Understand your feelings. But I can also understand the Poles. Unlike the UK, owners of most Polish speedway clubs have/do put a lot of money into their Club/investment. They would rather their riders only ride in Poland. But as it is at moment they can’t do that. But they naturally want to protect their investment in riders. 

On 12/13/2017 at 4:40 PM, Hamish McRaker said:

I think we now have a generation of men in their 20's, 30's and 40's (maybe more) who are obsessed by betting on sport, who probably find it strange that speedway meetings don't allow on-course betting. Look at who sponsors a lot of sport nowadays......

Fantastic comment and I think this would be a massive draw.

In 2017, I went to a number of meetings, and in 4 of these, I took car loads of friends who’d never been. All bar one of these questioned me if they could place a bet, and seemed genuinely annoyed they couldn’t and impacted on their experience. One of these was at Ipswich where they could see a betting shop, but light off and nobody home!

Having spoken to people within the industry, I understand it’s incredibly difficult for the bookmaker as it’s viewed as high risk minority sport - effectively meaning they feel they’d stand to lose more than they’d win!

They told me, the answer would be for them to have high volume of stakes on the GP, and particularly ‘home’ riders ie riders that race in the U.K. and this would encourage them to open up more markets, put kiosks in at clubs etc.

Someone with some good business acumen could Close a deal with a bookmaker I’m sure ...

20 minutes ago, AlexBrady said:

Fantastic comment and I think this would be a massive draw.

In 2017, I went to a number of meetings, and in 4 of these, I took car loads of friends who’d never been. All bar one of these questioned me if they could place a bet, and seemed genuinely annoyed they couldn’t and impacted on their experience. One of these was at Ipswich where they could see a betting shop, but light off and nobody home!

Having spoken to people within the industry, I understand it’s incredibly difficult for the bookmaker as it’s viewed as high risk minority sport - effectively meaning they feel they’d stand to lose more than they’d win!

They told me, the answer would be for them to have high volume of stakes on the GP, and particularly ‘home’ riders ie riders that race in the U.K. and this would encourage them to open up more markets, put kiosks in at clubs etc.

Someone with some good business acumen could Close a deal with a bookmaker I’m sure ...

That would suit a lot of riders,getting paid to lower their average ! .There is enough bookmaker betting already( on match results).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Haza said:

So a fans forum on 25th Jan 

I wonder if you will hear any rider news before then ?

21 minutes ago, ray c said:

I wonder if you will hear any rider news before then ?

The press release says rider news will be released throughout January with the final two announced at the forum.

Given all the fuss about Lynn press releases I do wonder sometimes why they bother as it seems folk don't read them:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Star Lady said:

The press release says rider news will be released throughout January with the final two announced at the forum.

Given all the fuss about Lynn press releases I do wonder sometimes why they bother as it seems folk don't read them:P

This is not just a Lynn phenomenon

You read on here (not just the Stars section) of fans moaning because they are being kept in the dark -- they are in the dark because on many occasions their eyes are closed to what the club has put on its own website.

It is not always the case - but it happens with unfailing regularity.

I support King's Lynn keeping their team quiet until the new year. You want the publicity as near to the season as possible and drip feed it out - so it gives the Press something to write about on more than one occasions.

Seven riders announced all in one go = one media story

Seven riders announced one at a time = seven media stories.

I will admit as you approach the sixth and seventh it rather does look obvious who it is going to be,

• Like 2

Personally i would sooner see all the riders announced in one go .then at least all suppoters from each club got something to talk about jmo