British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

Another page of comments forgetting the racing was pretty good the 2nd half of the season!!!! it was drab until the new stuff was put on the track! i agree with that. but it improved loads in the 2nd half! Riders like thj auty and toft made loads of passes and this wasn't just the odd meeting it was many meetings. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Danny Connor said:

Another page of comments forgetting the racing was pretty good the 2nd half of the season!!!! it was drab until the new stuff was put on the track! i agree with that. but it improved loads in the 2nd half! Riders like thj auty and toft made loads of passes and this wasn't just the odd meeting it was many meetings. 

If riders like Thj ,Auty, and Palm Toft were passing people regularly the opposition must have been poor. I attended the last double header meeting and the racing was dreadful. I will be on the first bend supporting the Stars again next season, but if the racing is poor again I will stop going.

23 hours ago, OldRacer said:

I've heard this a few times, but don't understand why heat times and track records aren't way faster than they used to be.  What am I missing?

The change in silencers a few years back slowed the bikes considerably.

18 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

The change in silencers a few years back slowed the bikes considerably.

Except for Eddie “the driller” Kennett :wink:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mrss said:

No you can't blame the riders for wanting a good track. But good tracks produce boring speedway. Boring speedway puts people off attending. Smaller crowds means clubs lose even more money. Clubs losing money will eventually mean no club. 

I can't agree that "good tracks produce boring speedway"  if you went to any meeting @ Somerset during the 2017 season & likewise Belle Vue (from what I did see) you would have seen brilliant speedway. It's not good when riders crash - only due track POOR conditions! this is costly on machinery & even worst  riders injuries. 

1 minute ago, Ghosty said:

I can't agree that "good tracks produce boring speedway"  if you went to any meeting @ Somerset during the 2017 season & likewise Belle Vue (from what I did see) you would have seen brilliant speedway. It's not good when riders crash - only due track POOR conditions! this is costly on machinery & even worst  riders injuries. 

In some respects safety is another reason for lacking entertainment. 

Elbow to elbow, wheel to wheel racing, rider's going through fences and punch up's was all part of the entertainment. 

Racing hasn't gotten better or worse than years gone by just that what was once a very very dangerous sport is now just a sport with risk

18 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

It would be an exaggeration to say that every meeting at Belle Vue in 2017 had brilliant speedway.  It would, however, be true say that some meetings most certainly did and that you would be more likely to see brilliant speedway there than just about anywhere else.

11 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Racing hasn't gotten better or worse than years gone by

Its a myth to suggest that the racing was better 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago. It wasn't, but nor was it worse.

My Dad went to Wimbledon in the fifties - Boy Wonder Ronnie Moore and all - and when I said I was going he said 'first out of the gate always wins'.

• Like 2

On 29/12/2017 at 9:15 AM, Star Lady said:

Would that have anything to do with riders prepared to attack the track rather than whinging?

just asking

When you say attack the track what exactly do you mean?

9 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

IIts a myth to suggest that the racing was better 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago. It wasn't, but nor was it worse.

My Dad went to Wimbledon in the fifties - Boy Wonder Ronnie Moore and all - and when I said I was going he said 'first out of the gate always wins'.

I can understand your Dads comments and in most cases he was correct to say Wimbledon was a Gater's paradise.    But Wimbledon was a special place.  It was the first time I watched Speedway from inside .  It was always prepared for the occasion where the atmosphere was intense and the excitement was never far away.  Must admit i never rated it as one of my favourite tracks but always enjoyed my many visits.... 

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

I can understand your Dads comments and in most cases he was correct to say Wimbledon was a Gater's paradise.    But Wimbledon was a special place.  It was the first time I watched Speedway from inside .  It was always prepared for the occasion where the atmosphere was intense and the excitement was never far away.  Must admit i never rated it as one of my favourite tracks but always enjoyed my many visits.... 

Didn't mean it was so much a gaters paradise as the quality of the racing really hasn't changed much since the 1950's. Fantastic stadium and dreadful that it is about to be demolished.

Got to agree racing wasn't that much better years ago,although some people seem to think it was.The only thing that has changed is the size of the crowd so therefore the atmosphere at speedway now is pretty much non existant.If you get a great atmosphere it doesn't seem to matter to much how good the racing is the crowd will be pulled along with it.

To me the Cardiff GP isn't great racing,but the atmosphere is second to none and this is what makes it a great night.

So it's the enthusiasm of the people who go to watch, this is what Poland has had in abundance for years and what many speedway fans of today had when they were young, it goes hand in hand ..... I've said before that the Polish promoters do nothing special on race night at all but the fans who go are totally up for supporting their team, they make the atmosphere and enjoy their night out ....

On the other hand great racing makes a good atmosphere, when you're watching an exciting race you can't help but cheer, whoop or boo lol

16 hours ago, mrss said:

If riders like Thj ,Auty, and Palm Toft were passing people regularly the opposition must have been poor. I attended the last double header meeting and the racing was dreadful. I will be on the first bend supporting the Stars again next season, but if the racing is poor again I will stop going.

So you don't go to support your team, you go to see good racing only?  Did you go into the press conferences after the meetings last year?  I think if the fans have closer contact with the riders they will support the team more rather than going just for the racing, what do you think?

Would rather see good racing, that why its Speedway Racing, but unfortunately lots assume that only winning is the main thing, some really good matches have had dire results for the team supported, but I have still been happy that the spectacle was good.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Trees said:

So you don't go to support your team, you go to see good racing only?  Did you go into the press conferences after the meetings last year?  I think if the fans have closer contact with the riders they will support the team more rather than going just for the racing, what do you think?

I have supported the Stars all my life and will continue to do so. But the last two seasons the racing has been poor. The Home meeting against Poole killed my enthusiasm and I vowed not to go again until Holder was gone. No ,I didn't go to any press conferences as I was bored most weeks and couldn't wait to get away. It's not the fans that need to be closer to the riders, it's the riders that need to get closer to the fans. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1