British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

1 hour ago, mrss said:

. It's not the fans that need to be closer to the riders, it's the riders that need to get closer to the fans. 

Never a truer word spoken. At the end of the day a rider can always find somewhere to compete against others with the same mindset, even if it's just some waste ground. What they need to realise is that if they want to be paid for doing what they enjoy they need to treat paying customers with respect (and not just by posting on social media) and not as an inconvenience, which is how some come across. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, g13webb said:

I can understand your Dads comments and in most cases he was correct to say Wimbledon was a Gater's paradise.    But Wimbledon was a special place.  It was the first time I watched Speedway from inside .  It was always prepared for the occasion where the atmosphere was intense and the excitement was never far away.  Must admit i never rated it as one of my favourite tracks but always enjoyed my many visits.... 

10 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

Never a truer word spoken. At the end of the day a rider can always find somewhere to compete against others with the same mindset, even if it's just some waste ground. What they need to realise is that if they want to be paid for doing what they enjoy they need to treat paying customers with respect (and not just by posting on social media) and not as an inconvenience, which is how some come across. 

The first time i went to Plough Lane i thought wow!!! what a place  i was in awe of the stadium you could watch the racing in comfort.The track was always prepared well so the racing was always decent was never a fan of little tracks but i did like Wimbledon.I never tired of going to Wimbledon or Hackney both were a great night out and i can honestly say i didnt see many duff meeting's at either venue.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Trees said:

So you don't go to support your team, you go to see good racing only?  Did you go into the press conferences after the meetings last year?  I think if the fans have closer contact with the riders they will support the team more rather than going just for the racing, what do you think?

I admire your tunnel vision where the team comes before all else. but in reality it has to be a two way thing.   Come to think about it I should say a three way thing..    The Fans, The Rider and the Promoters.   all supporting one another.    It's when one takes the other for granted does problems start to appear.   Having witness the Stars for  many years,  I've seen many Promoters and umpteen riders and teams and have lost count of the times it has gone  pear shape.  

Of the three, the fans are the easiest to satisfy. All they want is VFM and excitement from the Promoter, and for the Riders to have a real go.    Winning is not that important, as long as they each apply them selves to the cause.   Next is the Riders, they want to be appreciated by the fans and the promotions  and expect a track good enough and safe enough to race on.   Last but not least has to be the Promoter. He has to have a Workable/Viable  business that is sustainable.   He has to ensure the race track is in top condition enabling the riders to entertain the fans,   he has to ensure the fans are happy with what they see so they will return the next time.   

Looking back at recent years,  there has been a lot of cases where all three have been  guilty of taken others granted, and that will always cause problems.    I feel all three can learn from the closeness of the others,  and working together is the best way to achieve success.       Its not just about the team,   or the Riders,  the Fans  nor the promoter,    its about all of them....  Each as important as the other....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Star Lady said:

The press conferences  are a good way to hear what the riders have to say and have a word with them if you want to.  The walk back from the start is always a good way for communication between the fans and riders, quite a few of the clubs do this sort of thing now.

25 minutes ago, g13webb said:

I admire your tunnel vision where the team comes before all else. but in reality it has to be a two way thing.   Come to think about it I should say a three way thing..    The Fans, The Rider and the Promoters.   all supporting one another.    It's when one takes the other for granted does problems start to appear.   Having witness the Stars for  many years,  I've seen many Promoters and umpteen riders and teams and have lost count of the times it has gone  pear shape.  

Of the three, the fans are the easiest to satisfy. All they want is VFM and excitement from the Promoter, and for the Riders to have a real go.    Winning is not that important, as long as they each apply them selves to the cause.   Next is the Riders, they want to be appreciated by the fans and the promotions  and expect a track good enough and safe enough to race on.   Last but not least has to be the Promoter. He has to have a Workable/Viable  business that is sustainable.   He has to ensure the race track is in top condition enabling the riders to entertain the fans,   he has to ensure the fans are happy with what they see so they will return the next time.   

Looking back at recent years,  there has been a lot of cases where all three have been  guilty of taken others granted, and that will always cause problems.    I feel all three can learn from the closeness of the others,  and working together is the best way to achieve success.       Its not just about the team,   or the Riders,  the Fans  nor the promoter,    its about all of them....  Each as important as the other....

I don't have tunnel vision, that's why I helped start the Supporters Club, I had my ideas about giving the supporters more on race nights and I think we have delivered with pit walks, watching from the centre, having photos with riders and presenting Rider of the Night.  We have an extra experience for 2018 which I hope our members will enjoy :)

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Trees said:

I don't have tunnel vision, that's why I helped start the Supporters Club, I had my ideas about giving the supporters more on race nights and I think we have delivered with pit walks, watching from the centre, having photos with riders and presenting Rider of the Night.  We have an extra experience for 2018 which I hope our members will enjoy :)

Aren't you the one that fancies Chris Holder?

1 hour ago, Trees said:

The press conferences  are a good way to hear what the riders have to say and have a word with them if you want to.  The walk back from the start is always a good way for communication between the fans and riders, quite a few of the clubs do this sort of thing now.

The press conference great idea love it if racing started 7-30 prompt I’d definitely be there but I’m sure as eggs are eggs ain’t going to a press conference at gone 10pm when I’ve to be up early for work the next morning I’ve no interest in that what so ever . So get the racing started at 7-30 show a bit of urgency to keep the meeting moving rather than endless laps with the tractor and more would attend meetings and attend press conference it’s thats simple . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trees said:

You most definitely do have tunnel vision - I admire your dedication to the club I cannot fault you on that but just sometime even you must leave the stadium and doubt your dedication.to the club . 

• Haha 1

Do what they do at Belle Vue and stream the press conference on Facebook. That enables those of us who have a long journey home to watch it when we get home or the next day.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Haza said:

You most definitely do have tunnel vision - I admire your dedication to the club I cannot fault you on that but just sometime even you must leave the stadium and doubt your dedication.to the club . 

Of course I do, I'm only human lol BUT I try to always remain as positive as I can. I have loved speedway racing for 40 years, I admire the guys who race, who put their life and limb on the line for their job! Only love, sex and rock n roll is better than a great speedway race :D

If only riders were admired, loved and revered as they used to be in the UK, as they currently are in Poland. Instead some of us tend to take them and their talent for speedway for granted, moan and groan, expect more, question and swear about them. There must be some middle ground.  

Of course we want VFM but we must go to speedway looking forward to the racing, looking forward to cheering our team onto a win, the Polish people do, there is no extra entertainment, no interviews even, it's all about supporting their team, chanting, cheering, flag waving, all the simple things that some of us have forgotten it seems to me.  It's odd how our personal change when we take the trip over to Cardiff or the SWC comes to town, we're totally up for supporting our riders and team at these comps. 

I'm positive about the new season, let's see what's in store, let's start off positive, HAPPY NEW YEAR!! 

The major difference of course is that in Poland they cheer on 'their team' not a cobbled together, for one night only, randomly selected collection of riders out to earn an extra pay night through guesting....

In this day and age, it is asking for an enormous leap of faith to expect fans to buy into team Speedway over here when invariably it is a very tenuous link to actually being 'your team'...

Some can be complicit in this deception, ignore or suspend reality, and convince themselves that they are watching the team they have built up and invested such emotional loyalty in....

Sadly these people are very much in the minority and general Sports followers (and indeed many Speedway fans of long standing) will struggle to take what gets served up as a 'professional sport' seriously...

Here's hoping fixed race nights brings the Leagues some much needed credibility and integrity..

Bottom line is if any professional sporting competition ends up being so contrived it isn't actually worth winning,  then there comes a point when fan attendance isnt actually worth doing either.. 

Who knows, maybe a new dawn in 2018!!

Let's hope so....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Trees said:

Only love, sex and rock n roll is better than a great speedway race :D

Jumping in with my 2p's worth: one is, one can be and one is equal to.  I'll readers to decide which is which :lol: .

All The Best for 2018 :D....

2 hours ago, Trees said:

Of course I do, I'm only human lol BUT I try to always remain as positive as I can. I have loved speedway racing for 40 years, I admire the guys who race, who put their life and limb on the line for their job! Only love, sex and rock n roll is better than a great speedway race :D

If only riders were admired, loved and revered as they used to be in the UK, as they currently are in Poland. Instead some of us tend to take them and their talent for speedway for granted, moan and groan, expect more, question and swear about them. There must be some middle ground.  

Of course we want VFM but we must go to speedway looking forward to the racing, looking forward to cheering our team onto a win, the Polish people do, there is no extra entertainment, no interviews even, it's all about supporting their team, chanting, cheering, flag waving, all the simple things that some of us have forgotten it seems to me.  It's odd how our personal change when we take the trip over to Cardiff or the SWC comes to town, we're totally up for supporting our riders and team at these comps. 

I'm positive about the new season, let's see what's in store, let's start off positive, HAPPY NEW YEAR!! 

Happy new year to all Lynn and speedway fans in general.:approve:

Although I enjoy the dark winter evenings,   I really do miss the summer time for the  sporting activities  we watch.    The wife reckons I'm like a dog with a sore head this time of year with limited sport to occupy my time. and have to make do with the football.    So when the New Year passes, I look upon this as we're now on the home stretch before the fun starts...  

So there's little left to do,   other than to wish all Speedway Fans  A HAPPY & PROPEROUS NEW YEAR...     Poll on March      

13 hours ago, mikebv said:

The major difference of course is that in Poland they cheer on 'their team' not a cobbled together, for one night only, randomly selected collection of riders out to earn an extra pay night through guesting....

In this day and age, it is asking for an enormous leap of faith to expect fans to buy into team Speedway over here when invariably it is a very tenuous link to actually being 'your team'...

Some can be complicit in this deception, ignore or suspend reality, and convince themselves that they are watching the team they have built up and invested such emotional loyalty in....

Sadly these people are very much in the minority and general Sports followers (and indeed many Speedway fans of long standing) will struggle to take what gets served up as a 'professional sport' seriously...

Here's hoping fixed race nights brings the Leagues some much needed credibility and integrity..

Bottom line is if any professional sporting competition ends up being so contrived it isn't actually worth winning,  then there comes a point when fan attendance isnt actually worth doing either.. 

Who knows, maybe a new dawn in 2018!!

Let's hope so....

Top post - it is amazing how times change in such a sort space of time when we returned to the Elite League as it was then we never missed a meeting at home and winning the league in my mind was top priority now I’ve got to the point not that I’m not bothered if I attend meetings or not in fact from  World Cup onwards we never attended another meeting at KL we did other things and to be honest never missed going at all and at this point in the winter I’m normally can’t wait for March to arrive but I’m not excited or even looking forward to the season - it’s all well and good as the promotion has said all will be revealed in January but they have a lot to do to wn my attendance back and so far they’ve done absolutely nothing on that all I can see is they’ve wasted time by not  trying on working on putting things right . Hopefully they have things in place to convince fans that walked away in the second half of last season it’s worth returning . We shall see 

Edited by Haza