British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

As expected, the two latest additions to the Stars line-up  are Robert Lambert and Lewis Kerr.   Both having taking it upon themselves to release this information prior to the official announcement.     Two riders who know the Lynn set up well and have ridden here for many years.      Strange point of interest with these two, is that Kerr is probably the most consistent  'Gater' in the team, whereas Lambert would  love to add that pedigree to his armoury.      Probably with Kerr  and Lambert as team mates,  Lewis could learn Robert some inner beliefs needed at the starts, that would not only benefit Robert, but also the Stars team as well.     

We can but hope.....  :t:

Only two Friday's to go before the Drums Roll and the Trumpet Fanfare of the Fan's Forum - the excitement rises to hysteria level in the new "undreamt of changes and improvements" policy of the new promotion. Having seen the return of a football playing striker returning to low level Lincoln on the national TV news, I am expecting NKI ( if indeed it is he at No.1 ) to at least do a flyby of the East Anglia region in a Lancaster bomber and parachute onto the centre green at the AFA. Ot is it to be Gino Manzares arriving on a Jet Pack - that should make the news! That is what I call undreamt of. Which will it be that makes real headlines outside of East Anglia?

I have just paid £3  to read  a Tour Brochure just to get to the article on Lambert.    Good old Speedway Star.  Great marketing that to get people to pay their hard earned to have to be subjected to that.  Its like Lego  getting people to pay £8 to watch a 90 minutes advert (Movie) for their product.  Very Clever marketing indeed.

9 hours ago, proud panther said:

I am sure that Nicklas realises he is lucky to have you in his corner. Mick Brattley did a similar job for Hans when he was at Peterborough, & even sorting flights, etc out was a near full time job for him. Must add that Mick also had a full time job as well. Are you planning to retire in France David ?

Yes Nicklas is very appreciative for all I have done for him from the time he first came to King’s Lynn. We are the very best of friends and he is like a son to me. Though I won’t miss the time taken sorting flights and the trips at 3am to Stansted etc. He is excited about the new season, certain things I can’t reveal at present, which will be announced within a month. Not doing UK was a decision we made at the end of last season and I think this will be good for him. We were approached by a number of UK Clubs, but said thanks but no thanks for 2018. In discussion with Dale, we all agreed Nicklas was not right for Lynn and Lynn was not right for Nicklas this coming season. Re myself, I have plenty to sort before moving to France, but yes I plan to retire in Normandy. Good wine, food and relaxing plus getting back to oil painting which I haven’t done for years. (The next Monet Ha ha ! ) I have looked at logistics and it is still easy for me to fly to Poland, Sweden and Denmark to watch Nicklas race. I will still look after certain aspects for him, but not having to arrange 4 flights a week and trips back and forth to Stansted will make life so much easier.  

Philip ..... You have to admit the contents of this Week's edition are poor,  to say the least.   Page's of Adverts, 4/5 pages on Exeter speedway form the 70's.  Another few page's with an  article on the New Zealand  lad following up on 3 pages on the same guy last week.  As for current up to date news.  It is, IMHO very poor.  Tell me where I am wrong Philip ?  I know it can be difficult to get news worthy items at this time of year, but really I think your readership deserves better than this.  Looks very much like a lack of effort has gone into it.....Then to add in a 24 page ( yep 24!!) advertising brochure, is really something else.

Edited by semion
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, semion said:

I have just paid £3  to read  a Tour Brochure just to get to the article on Lambert.    Good old Speedway Star.  Great marketing that to get people to pay their hard earned to have to be subjected to that.  Its like Lego  getting people to pay £8 to watch a 90 minutes advert (Movie) for their product.  Very Clever marketing indeed.

What on earth are you expecting for £3 a Book! I find the SS excellent value for money!!!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, semion said:

Philip ..... You have to admit the contents of this Week's edition are poor,  to say the least.   Page's of Adverts, 4/5 pages on Exeter speedway form the 70's.  Another few page's with an  article on the New Zealand  lad following up on 3 pages on the same guy last week.  As for current up to date news.  It is, IMHO very poor.  Tell me where I am wrong Philip ?  I know it can be difficult to get news worthy items at this time of year, but really I think your readership deserves better than this.  Looks very much like a lack of effort has gone into it.....Then to add in a 24 page ( yep 24!!) advertising brochure, is really something else.

HAD Lambert signing before it was announced. SS is feature led at this time of the year. What's wrong with ADDING a 24 page travel brochure. Thousands of people use TP to go to SGPs. Am totally bemused by your comments.

So, no, I don't have to admit this week's issue is poor. But you are entitled to your opinion.

• Like 1

Is this Mr Brundle at all related to the ex racing driver Martin Brundle?

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

HAD Lambert signing before it was announced. SS is feature led at this time of the year. What's wrong with ADDING a 24 page travel brochure. Thousands of people use TP to go to SGPs. Am totally bemused by your comments.

So, no, I don't have to admit this week's issue is poor. But you are entitled to your opinion.

So You think that a 24 page Travel Brochure is added value to your customer ?  33% of  the Mag... Devoted to one Advert.   Plus X % of the remaining  66% of the mag  is also advertising.   I am glad Philip You see that as good VFM

The speedway star in my opinion  is excellent value look at the prices of other sporting magazines or papers the Racing post as a example for me it should be more than 3 pound.Also the 2018 teams line up edition is a terrific read great value that certainly should be a higher price.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, semion said:

So You think that a 24 page Travel Brochure is added value to your customer ?  33% of  the Mag... Devoted to one Advert.   Plus X % of the remaining  66% of the mag  is also advertising.   I am glad Philip You see that as good VFM

BUT 33% of the usual 48 pages are not devoted to adverts. It is hard enough making SS viable these days without turning away what little advertising is available.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

The speedway star in my opinion  is excellent value look at the prices of other sporting magazines or papers the Racing post as a example for me it should be more than 3 pound.Also the 2018 teams line up edition is a terrific read great value that certainly should be a higher price.

Sidney, the Season Opener I would agree with.  No question that is excellent value for money and I would happily pay more for that.  On the flip side that Edition does show what Philip and his team are capable of when the effort is put in.  This 'Out of season' editions are very sparse in terms of news etc and do seem very lacking in effort, Unlike the Bumper Season Preview edition.   Goalposts are their Philip.  Set By  you.

55 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BUT 33% of the usual 48 pages are not devoted to adverts. It is hard enough making SS viable these days without turning away what little advertising is available.

I refuse to be critical of the Speedway Star as I have it on subscription and find it a great read.

I would however request that your Matchday Programme reviewer takes on board your own comments above about not 'turning away what little advertising is available' when doing their critique of each club's programme efforts. 

In fact your reviewer will always mark down the score of any programme that in his opinion has 'too much advertising'!!!  With the finances of most clubs teetering on the brink (or so we are told?!) then surely every attempt at maximizing revenue through a matchday programme should be just as applauded as the amount and quality of any editiorial/pictorial content!!

rant over.;)

• Like 1