British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

4 hours ago, DWP said:

Yes Nicklas is very appreciative for all I have done for him from the time he first came to King’s Lynn. We are the very best of friends and he is like a son to me. Though I won’t miss the time taken sorting flights and the trips at 3am to Stansted etc. He is excited about the new season, certain things I can’t reveal at present, which will be announced within a month. Not doing UK was a decision we made at the end of last season and I think this will be good for him. We were approached by a number of UK Clubs, but said thanks but no thanks for 2018. In discussion with Dale, we all agreed Nicklas was not right for Lynn and Lynn was not right for Nicklas this coming season. Re myself, I have plenty to sort before moving to France, but yes I plan to retire in Normandy. Good wine, food and relaxing plus getting back to oil painting which I haven’t done for years. (The next Monet Ha ha ! ) I have looked at logistics and it is still easy for me to fly to Poland, Sweden and Denmark to watch Nicklas race. I will still look after certain aspects for him, but not having to arrange 4 flights a week and trips back and forth to Stansted will make life so much easier.  

Good luck in your retirement, just try to steer clear of the wine while you are attempting to provide a masterpiece with your brushes lol. 

On 25/12/2017 at 5:54 PM, therefused said:

No chance 

On 05/01/2018 at 11:04 AM, Trees said:

Sincerely hope not! Jeez! 

4 hours ago, semion said:

Philip ..... You have to admit the contents of this Week's edition are poor,  to say the least.   Page's of Adverts, 4/5 pages on Exeter speedway form the 70's.  Another few page's with an  article on the New Zealand  lad following up on 3 pages on the same guy last week.  As for current up to date news.  It is, IMHO very poor.  Tell me where I am wrong Philip ?  I know it can be difficult to get news worthy items at this time of year, but really I think your readership deserves better than this.  Looks very much like a lack of effort has gone into it.....Then to add in a 24 page ( yep 24!!) advertising brochure, is really something else.

Buy the SS direct from Pinegen, delivered to your door and a fair bit cheaper.

3 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BUT 33% of the usual 48 pages are not devoted to adverts. It is hard enough making SS viable these days without turning away what little advertising is available.

Phil you have nothing that needs defending , like you state you need the extra revenue these days to exist every publication does really can’t see where Semion is coming from as like you say the 24 page ad is an extra that doesn’t cost the customer any more! I actually find the brochure quite good toilet material once I’ve read the actual magazine content lol Despite social media and the internet in general I still enjoy my fix of my speedway star as does my son...as you know! Keep it going more of us appreciate it than those that do not 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, proud panther said:

Good luck in your retirement, just try to steer clear of the wine while you are attempting to provide a masterpiece with your brushes lol. 

I thought most painters enjoyed their wine while painting masterpieces.Have you seen the state of some of the paintings that fetch a crazy amount of money:lol:

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I thought most painters enjoyed their wine while painting masterpieces.Have you seen the state of some of the paintings that fetch a crazy amount of money:lol:

I can splash some paint about on canvas. My work starts at £5million if you want to make an investment. Perhaps after we have both gone your family will see a return. They say all artist die poor lol 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DWP said:

I can splash some paint about on canvas. My work starts at £5million if you want to make an investment. Perhaps after we have both gone your family will see a return. They say all artist die poor lol 

I would rather invest into the wine side of things.

1 hour ago, hagonshocker said:

Phil you have nothing that needs defending , like you state you need the extra revenue these days to exist every publication does really can’t see where Semion is coming from as like you say the 24 page ad is an extra that doesn’t cost the customer any more! I actually find the brochure quite good toilet material once I’ve read the actual magazine content lol Despite social media and the internet in general I still enjoy my fix of my speedway star as does my son...as you know! Keep it going more of us appreciate it than those that do not 

Kindle or Book? BOOK.  Internet or Speedway Star?  SPEEDWAY STAR.
In full agreement with you.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tellboy said:

Think the people that buy them have been on the wine !!

1 hour ago, DWP said:

It's true ,I'm very often called an artist and I'm very poor

There seems mixed feelings from a majority of fans for the coming year.    We, more than any other club, have a massive mountain to climb to get back to the exciting existence we once were.   The sport is not exactly brimming with confidence that guarantees success,   and drastic measures are in place just to maintain any interest still abode.    With Television contracts up for renewal, and top riders thinking twice about coming here, it can only mean we have hard times ahead of us..

I feel this year is of doubled importance for this club,    a make or break period for the Kings Lynn Stars.    The fans made no secret of their feelings last year at the way the club was run.   The promotions have been given another opportunity to change things round and I really hope this new brush will be allowed to work.    From a professional aspect, Robin Brundle  could be a breath of fresh air that blows positivity right through the club,   From the  riders, through to the fans, to the sponsors and the management.   He has to be given this chance to work his magic...      If he can make this work  Lynn can become immense  and spectators  will again  come back .

My one fear though,   is that Buster won't take that back seat.......

Edited by g13webb

One phrase in the Lambert article highlights some of the problems with speedway in the UK, and in particular the cost of attending meetings

He refers to "making a living out of speedway in the UK" - he's 19 years old, should he really be trying to make a living out of riding for Kings Lynn at that age?

Did Terry Betts and others expect to do that, at 19 or even older?  Most certainly, no they didn't, and admission prices reflected that

It's fine to be ambitious, but lads these days seem to expect far too much from a sport that is not F1 or Premier League, and far too soon

• Like 2

19 hours ago, hagonshocker said:

Totally agree Shocker what is three pound  today a pint of beer ? also compare that to a 2.80 racing post and the garbage 1 pound Sunday    paper  rags.Most of the news printed in the speedway star we already know anyway as for this weeks speedway star it was worth the three pound just for the Exeter feature that is superb.

2 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

One phrase in the Lambert article highlights some of the problems with speedway in the UK, and in particular the cost of attending meetings

He refers to "making a living out of speedway in the UK" - he's 19 years old, should he really be trying to make a living out of riding for Kings Lynn at that age?

Did Terry Betts and others expect to do that, at 19 or even older?  Most certainly, no they didn't, and admission prices reflected that

It's fine to be ambitious, but lads these days seem to expect far too much from a sport that is not F1 or Premier League, and far too soon

Let's turn your question around. Why shouldn't Lambert expect to make a living out of speedway? He's expected to make himself available to King's Lynn, turn up fit and health, with machinery prepared and ready to race.

Most people expect to make a living from their job, why shouldn't speedway riders?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

My one fear though,   is that Buster won't take that back seat.......

Old habits die hard, very hard. But if Buster wants KL speedway to pick up again he must do that.