British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

6 minutes ago, MattK said:

Let's turn your question around. Why shouldn't Lambert expect to make a living out of speedway? He's expected to make himself available to King's Lynn, turn up fit and health, with machinery prepared and ready to race.

Most people expect to make a living from their job, why shouldn't speedway riders?

I think what Midland Red meant was years ago the likes of Bettsy and co didn't dream of making a living, certainly not at age 19. The demands of the clubs were the same. I can't remember many, if any, cases of riders not turning up because of their "earning a living" job. They turned up with bike in a rack on the back of a car and just got on with it.

that said Lambert rightly wants to be a professional speedway rider, times have changed. What he needs to realise is that being a professional is full time and that includes any statements he makes to media. For any professional to publicly say he is reluctant is extremely amateurish and could well be counter productive if the feelings it's stirred up in many fans is anything to go by.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MattK said:

Let's turn your question around. Why shouldn't Lambert expect to make a living out of speedway? He's expected to make himself available to King's Lynn, turn up fit and health, with machinery prepared and ready to race.

Most people expect to make a living from their job, why shouldn't speedway riders?

He like all speedway riders is self employed, it is up to him to get the best contract he can subject to his ability, skill and scoring power.  If he expects to be able to make a living out of the sport he needs to negotiate a better contract,  get out and acquire a lot of sponsorship or ride for other teams.  If he cannot demand the income he wants then he needs to improve and do something about it.

If anyone in any job expects to earn a living they need to be in a position where their skills etc are worth want they want as an income.  If they are young and learning they have to accept a lower income to start with.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

He like all speedway riders is self employed, it is up to him to get the best contract he can subject to his ability, skill and scoring power.  If he expects to be able to make a living out of the sport he needs to negotiate a better contract,  get out and acquire a lot of sponsorship or ride for other teams.  If he cannot demand the income he wants then he needs to improve and do something about it.

If anyone in any job expects to earn a living they need to be in a position where their skills etc are worth want they want as an income.  If they are young and learning they have to accept a lower income to start with.   

Isn't the point Lambert was making is that he was prevented from negotiating a better contract with another team by King's Lynn, therefore he was forced to accept their offer?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

I think what Midland Red meant was years ago the likes of Bettsy and co didn't dream of making a living, certainly not at age 19. The demands of the clubs were the same. I can't remember many, if any, cases of riders not turning up because of their "earning a living" job. They turned up with bike in a rack on the back of a car and just got on with it.

that said Lambert rightly wants to be a professional speedway rider, times have changed. What he needs to realise is that being a professional is full time and that includes any statements he makes to media. For any professional to publicly say he is reluctant is extremely amateurish and could well be counter productive if the feelings it's stirred up in many fans is anything to go by.

Times have changed. How many of the riders that Lambert was competing against in last year's World Under 21s have a full time job and ride speedway as their side-gig? The answer is almost certainly none.

I don't see Lambert's comments as amateurish. I think he makes a very valid point about an outdated and almost certainly illegal asset system which is loaded in favour of clubs.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, MattK said:

Isn't the point Lambert was making is that he was prevented from negotiating a better contract with another team by King's Lynn, therefore he was forced to accept their offer?

In that case he should not have signed the contract that gave Kings Lynn that control over him.  If it was a multi year contract he will have to accept it. If it was a one season contract he is free to do what he wants.  It all comes back to this "asset" crap.  He at the moment has not got the clout to negotiate a decent contract.

Do you have a contract with your employer that stops you changing employer, without being compensated for it.

Edited by A ORLOV

4 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

In that case he should not have signed the contract that gave Kings Lynn that control over him.  If it was a multi year contract he will have to accept it. If it was a one season contract he is free to do what he wants.  It all comes back to this "asset" crap.  He at the moment has not got the clout to negotiate a decent contract.

I don't think there was a contract, that's the point. He said another team were ready to put pen to paper, but were scared off by "the top man of British speedway". I don't think you have to be a genius to work out who was is.

No one can doubt his obvious ability on a bike.    Probably it would be best if he let his riding  do his talking,  and  forego airing his views in the national magazine...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MattK said:

I don't think there was a contract, that's the point. He said another team were ready to put pen to paper, but were scared off by "the top man of British speedway". I don't think you have to be a genius to work out who was is.

In that case he has to accept what is offered,  or go and ride abroad then "the top man of British Speedway" will learn another lesson.  As it goes Chapman might get screwed over by him not riding too well in the UK or going sick at crucial times.  

Another issue is that until the riders stand together on this "control or asset" system the promoters hold all the cards.

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Times have changed. How many of the riders that Lambert was competing against in last year's World Under 21s have a full time job and ride speedway as their side-gig? The answer is almost certainly none.

I don't see Lambert's comments as amateurish. I think he makes a very valid point about an outdated and almost certainly illegal asset system which is loaded in favour of clubs.

I said times have changed, so I agree with you on that.

Where I disagree is your 2nd paragraph. He does have a valid point BUT appealing for sponsors for new equipment whilst at the same time complaining about his employer, which effectively is what he is doing is IMHO rather silly (polite version).

as A Orlov says the riders have to stick together over the asset system, which I agree is wrong and illegal but I have a slight amount of sympathy for the promoters, who lets face it are not charities. Some riders demand far more than promoters can afford to pay, and have an inflated view of their own worth, and I just have the feeling that promoters have got together this season and tried to put a bit of reality into things with Ford and Buster (that we know about) only being interested in full transfers.

i could be completely wrong but it's never good when one side holds all the trump cards, there has to be a balance. 

• Like 2

I hear Carl Wilkinson is looking for a team place. Would he be alright at reserve for the Stars?

Does Lambert want to earn a living out of riding in Poland, and earn a living out of riding in Sweden, as well as earning a living out of riding in the UK?

Three livings?  Isn't that a tad greedy?

1 hour ago, Midland Red said:

Does Lambert want to earn a living out of riding in Poland, and earn a living out of riding in Sweden, as well as earning a living out of riding in the UK?

Three livings?  Isn't that a tad greedy?

SURELY depends on what his net income is at the end of the day

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrss said:

I hear Carl Wilkinson is looking for a team place. Would he be alright at reserve for the Stars?

No thanks.Far too inconsistent and has reached his level

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

SURELY depends on what his net income is at the end of the day

I assumed that "making a living in the UK" meant paying all the bills (domestic (costs of living, holidays, home, etc etc) and speedway), having some savings and a satisfactory positive net balance at the end of the day

If he could achieve all that from UK speedway, then any surplus from Poland and Sweden is extra "profit" - if there's "extra" from those two countries, it takes the pressure off the UK speedway a tad - in other words, off the need to "make a living in the UK"

4 hours ago, mrss said:

Think it will be Lewi Kerr and Young Dane Kasper Andersen at reserve for Stars to begin with in 2018.

Edited by TooMuchGrip