British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

6 hours ago, mrss said:

I hear Carl Wilkinson is looking for a team place. Would he be alright at reserve for the Stars?

No 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Does Lambert want to earn a living out of riding in Poland, and earn a living out of riding in Sweden, as well as earning a living out of riding in the UK?

Three livings?  Isn't that a tad greedy?

No different from the other riders that ride in the same countries.

I'm not keen on Lambo's Speedway Star story,or that he may of had it made difficult for him to sign elsewhere.

I think it might not be a smooth season for Lambo at Lynn.I might be wrong.

But at Roberts level,age is irrelevant,The effort and risk as well as the cost involved, i think he is entitled to earn a living from riding in the UK.Ok he won't retire rich from his UK profit alone,but surely a 7.5  Prem league rider should clear between £500 and £1k a week in the UK.Same as a plumber.Should'nt need to work a normal job as well..

Edited by Bald Bloke

19 hours ago, mrss said:

I hear Carl Wilkinson is looking for a team place. Would he be alright at reserve for the Stars?

We all know the tale of how he beat Tai Woffinden around KL - once. But most of his other rides were poor or often very poor.

I cant help thinking Lambert has this attitude problem,  that's not conducive with communicating with people.     Always keen to confront contentious comments from the crowd ,  a behaviour more suited to lesser lights.   He has to realise, most place him on a pedestal and expect a bit of servility.     He is good enough to walk around with an air of confidence, a presence  you only get when you reach that quality level.      I haven't seen this in Lambert yet,   mostly its a solemn face  showing worry and concern.    I appreciate not everybody is built the same way,   but being a professional in any sport you have to appear aloft and confident,  telling your opponents you are more than ready.  

I was disappointed at the article in the Speedway Star.    I wanted to read that Lambert had again signed for the Stars and was looking forward to the coming season. I wanted read how happy he was,   how confident he was of doing well,   and his positive views on the assembled team.    But all I read was how negativity his views were of the sport, and putting excuses in place for when they were needed..  

Sure, the asset system is wrong and dated, but this was not the place or time to put emphasis on it .      His sponsorship is also a private matter ,  I am at a lost why he decided to opinionate that.   He has never openly declared his previous deals with the public, so why include it in this article unless he was putting excuses in place...

I've got no problems with Lambert earning big money,   but he needs to start scoring big every time.          

Webb, how about back in the day when Mr Kings Lynn,Terry Betts use to Tell Maurice/Cyril he wouldn't be back the following season just to squeeze a few quid extra out of them?  All part of the game, or not very professional ?

• Like 1

I haven't read the article but my guess is Robert has been too open and somewhat naive with the writer, it wasn't Paul Burbidge by any chance was it? Paul is very good at taking off the record remarks and turning them into print and whilst the interviewee has an expectation of what will appear it's what is on the voice recorder that evidences the published piece. Paul has succeeded in bringing a different dimension to the GP's though, he is extremely capable and should not be underestimated.

Edited by Whisperer

Lambert said in the article what many riders think without going public with their thoughts.  Is thst him being naive or should he be admired for having the conkers to say it out loud ?

41 minutes ago, g13webb said:

I cant help thinking Lambert has this attitude problem,  that's not conducive with communicating with people.     Always keen to confront contentious comments from the crowd ,  a behaviour more suited to lesser lights.   He has to realise, most place him on a pedestal and expect a bit of servility.     He is good enough to walk around with an air of confidence, a presence  you only get when you reach that quality level.      I haven't seen this in Lambert yet,   mostly its a solemn face  showing worry and concern.    I appreciate not everybody is built the same way,   but being a professional in any sport you have to appear aloft and confident,  telling your opponents you are more than ready.  

I was disappointed at the article in the Speedway Star.    I wanted to read that Lambert had again signed for the Stars and was looking forward to the coming season. I wanted read how happy he was,   how confident he was of doing well,   and his positive views on the assembled team.    But all I read was how negativity his views were of the sport, and putting excuses in place for when they were needed..  

Sure, the asset system is wrong and dated, but this was not the place or time to put emphasis on it .      His sponsorship is also a private matter ,  I am at a lost why he decided to opinionate that.   He has never openly declared his previous deals with the public, so why include it in this article unless he was putting excuses in place...

I've got no problems with Lambert earning big money,   but he needs to start scoring big every time.          

I agree,his article in Star is very negitive towards Kings Lynn and basically he was left no choice and is there under protest.Needs better management IMO .

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, semion said:

Webb, how about back in the day when Mr Kings Lynn,Terry Betts use to Tell Maurice/Cyril he wouldn't be back the following season just to squeeze a few quid extra out of them?  All part of the game, or not very professional ?

Them good ole days.    Like you say Mr Kings Lynn, Terry Betts was the ultimate professional.     Mr Reliable  would never say a word out of place,  and yes  he would use any which way to squeeze a few more quid in  contract talks.      But Bettsy realised it was 'Bums on Seats'  that made the sport work and would never say anything detrimental which could be deemed as negative.... 

Then we had Mike Lee, how many times did he go public with a transfer request etc. ? All done in the press but each time a new deal was struck.  The reason ? Because he was the big draw for the Promotion and what do you get with big draws ?  Bums on seats. ;)

1 hour ago, semion said:

Lambert said in the article what many riders think without going public with their thoughts.  Is thst him being naive or should he be admired for having the conkers to say it out loud ?

Absolutely, people label him and Woffy arrogant for being honest and speaking their minds but I find it refreshing. They are driven and desperate to be successful and will speak out if things block their path. Because they aren't yes men they will always be unpopular unfortunately but I would rather read honesty.

I don't believe Lambert will give anything less than 100% for Lynn on race night but time will tell.

Reading the forum and the comments re Roberts interview in Speedway Star.

I am not giving my opinion on it. However some facts my help you. 

I have done an approx. costing for a rider doing one UK league. Naturally a rider doubling up, some costs would increase or decrease or not exist. 

These figures are from my experience for an annual cost to a rider.

2 bikes/engines @ £8000 each =  £16000 spread over 2 years = £8000

Spares £4000 (surprising how many spares needed in a season and that’s without a blown engine cost)

Other equipment - helmet/goggles/tools £1000

Oils/Lubricants/bike cleaning materials etc. £500

Van hire 8 months £2400

Mechanic £4500 

Flights 50% of cost £3000 

Airport travel costs £500 

Budgeting travel Rain off expenses ( no income ) £1000

Fuel van £800

Engine servicing £3000

Insurance van £800 ( many mechanics under 25 ) 

Injury Insurance rider £400

Sundry misc. expenses £1000 (always unexpected costs)

Total £30900

These are the costs, looking back through them it would be easy to increase some. But this gives a ball park figure. Naturally some costs are off set by sponsors supplying their goods which a rider uses. But it is still a cost and a rider needs equipment sponsors as well as cash sponsors. 

From this total cost, now you can can calculate how much a rider needs to earn per point or plus get sponsor deals to make it all pay. 

Certain some of you will argue these figures. That’s your opinion, but as for 5 years I’ve being paying invoices I know these figures are a good ball park figure. 

I am just giving factual figures - this is not my opinion of what’s right or wrong. I will leave it to you to do your own calculations and come up with what ever view you wish. 
  • Like 3

Just as with Terry Betts and Michael Lee - Bums on Seats really counted and I think without Lambert there would Bums off Seats to some extent at least.

24 minutes ago, DWP said:

Reading the forum and the comments re Roberts interview in Speedway Star.

I am not giving my opinion on it. However some facts my help you. 

I have done an approx. costing for a rider doing one UK league. Naturally a rider doubling up, some costs would increase or decrease or not exist. 

These figures are from my experience for an annual cost to a rider.

2 bikes/engines @ £8000 each =  £16000 spread over 2 years = £8000

Spares £4000 (surprising how many spares needed in a season and that’s without a blown engine cost)

Other equipment - helmet/goggles/tools £1000

Oils/Lubricants/bike cleaning materials etc. £500

Van hire 8 months £2400

Mechanic £4500 

Flights 50% of cost £3000 

Airport travel costs £500 

Budgeting travel Rain off expenses ( no income ) £1000

Fuel van £800

Engine servicing £3000

Insurance van £800 ( many mechanics under 25 ) 

Injury Insurance rider £400

Sundry misc. expenses £1000 (always unexpected costs)

Total £30900

These are the costs, looking back through them it would be easy to increase some. But this gives a ball park figure. Naturally some costs are off set by sponsors supplying their goods which a rider uses. But it is still a cost and a rider needs equipment sponsors as well as cash sponsors. 

From this total cost, now you can can calculate how much a rider needs to earn per point or plus get sponsor deals to make it all pay. 

Certain some of you will argue these figures. That’s your opinion, but as for 5 years I’ve being paying invoices I know these figures are a good ball park figure. 

I am just giving factual figures - this is not my opinion of what’s right or wrong. I will leave it to you to do your own calculations and come up with what ever view you wish. 

Thanks for your information  David,   I don't doubt your honesty one bit.    This more than anything illustrates just how much the sport has become  too expensive and unsustainable.     A sport where attendances struggle to reach 1500  it is ridiculous economics for a new rider to contemplate in participating.     Top riders are expected to earn decent money which would more then cover those costs, but the majority of riders are less prominent and would struggle to make them ends meet.   It is little wonder the riders need that amount to compete and also see why the promoters are flogging a dead horse.  

Many years ago, in conversation with Terry Betts when riding a 2 value Jawa,    he said he purchased a new bike every year, keeping last years as a spare.    After each meeting it was hosed down and the chain oiled.   Additionally, after each month,  the chain and tyres were replaced.   He commented this would guarantee competitive equipment for the whole season.      How things have changed!!!           No the races weren't as fast but the enjoyment was just as good...

We need new ideas to control those costs.     David has just illustrated the outlay is way out of line....

• Like 2

So a 7 point average rider on £400 a point over 28 league matches makes £78,400 minus costs of £30,900, leaving £47,500 for seven months work provided he stays injury free.

You can see why sub-7 pointers need doubling up and the better riders aspire to another £200k in Poland/Sweden.