British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

30 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

The issue we Poole fans have is that it always seems to be Poole who are slated for using the rules to their advantage because I don't remember many saying last season that it was wrong to bring in Musielak on a previous average that wasn't relevant to his form. On the other hand if the riders Poole have brought in were re-assessed it wouldn't be worth the risk of using them.

Certainly take your point and in hindsight I'd agree with you but I'd imagine very few people foresaw how good Musielak was going to be last year for Swindon. Of course your two Poles may not live up to expectations but their achievements abroad suggest they will make a mockery of their starting averages. The point is they are far better riders than when they last rode here.

And to quote you lot anyone could have signed Musielak :wink:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aces51 said:

This is not a new argument and it's not an anti Poole thing. I and others have raised it previously and it has been discussed on many occasions. The idea of team building points limits is to create a level playing field and the skill should be in selecting riders who are likely to improve their real average not identifying riders who have not ridden here for a few seasons and have an out of date unrealistically low average. To be a level playing field all riders, wherever they have ridden, have to be available on an average that reflects their current ability. 

It was wrong that Musielak was signed on his old average and it would be totally wrong if Drozdz achieves a 4.50 average for Belle Vue this year, becomes an asset and then in 4 years time, when he is a top rider in Poland, we bring him back on that average. It destroys the credibility of team building point limits when some of those points are realistic recently achieved averages and some are plainly not.

If we attempted to sign Drozdz on a low average in years to come the authorities would stop it, much like Zagar this year. 

The irritation of seeing Poole given preferential treatment is only heightened by seeing us continually thwarted. 

8 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Because he is never going to get any better and a new young rider like Andersen has potential to be much better than his assessed average.

Bagpuss you have made your point over Auty but he is better than Kerr and Rose in my opinion saying that i like Rose always have done see him at Swindon  loads of time for him.This Dane coming in why is he not in the top 5 ? he should be he needs to come in and hit the road running  is he that good ? he might be you don't know that do you?

He's not in the top five because he is on a four point average. Nobody knows if he will be any good but he is at an age where he is likely to improve and somebody must have seen some potential in him to sign him.

Not going to get into the Auty debate again as we'll never agree. But I'd suggest that the fact that nobody has signed him on a 4.68 probably says it all.

4 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

He's not in the top five because he is on a four point average. Nobody knows if he will be any good but he is at an age where he is likely to improve and somebody must have seen some potential in him to sign him.

Not going to get into the Auty debate again as we'll never agree. But I'd suggest that the fact that nobody has signed him on a 4.68 probably says it all.

But you sign a bloke with no real reputation as such,  i  know he is promising been mentioned but this Kings Lynn line up looks mighty weak.they cannot afford to carry anyone.As for the 4.68 average that is an awkward figure to fit in anywhere are Kerr and Rose club assets ?  so they are a cheap option Auty did an ok job last year and is better than both of them.

I don't think he is better than them in the Premiership personally, maybe the Championship due to his extra experience of those tracks. Yes they are both club assets and local lads, products of the Young Stars in fact. 

I don't think it's a particularly awkward figure to accommodate, plenty of teams could have fitted him in if they wished. 

7 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Certainly take your point and in hindsight I'd agree with you but I'd imagine very few people foresaw how good Musielak was going to be last year for Swindon. Of course your two Poles may not live up to expectations but their achievements abroad suggest they will make a mockery of their starting averages. The point is they are far better riders than when they last rode here.

And to quote you lot anyone could have signed Musielak :wink:

Yep and anyone could have signed the two poles

21 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I don't think he is better than them in the Premiership personally, maybe the Championship due to his extra experience of those tracks. Yes they are both club assets and local lads, products of the Young Stars in fact. 

I don't think it's a particularly awkward figure to accommodate, plenty of teams could have fitted him in if they wished. 

Rose will do very well to better or equal his last average he is also coming back from injury and he really over achieved coped great in the top five.Kerr for me is just a gater hit and miss again he has comeback well from his horrendous injuries and I applaud that .

10 hours ago, Aces51 said:

Signing riders on an average achieved  a number of years ago, when they were learning their trade and have clearly now improved is unfair and illogical and works against those riders who have progressed and improved during the same period but continued to ride in the UK. It is a problem which is easily avoidable. All riders should be assessed on their most recent performance. If they have not ridden in the UK the previous season a formula can easily be calculated to convert their Polish, Swedish or any other league average to a UK average. It would be transparent and fair to all, so why isn't it done?

Because it is British Team Speedway...

Ran in an amateur,  no doubt well meaning, self policing way...

As you say, a simple matrix of performances around the globe would deliver a figure which could be used by all to determine the vast majority of riders position in the 'grand scheme of things'..

Amazing that a Sport which (over here) slavishly uses averages doesn't then use even more information that's available to more accurately assess each individuals overall level...

No Sport ran with professional, clear, independent  leadership, would allow such contrived and subjective nonsense to take place each year like Speedway in this country does.....

Speedway sadly, unlike properly ran (and ergo often successful) Sports in Britain, doesnt have that leadership frame work in place......

And unfortunately it appears, never will....

It's more of the same old, same old, year on year nonsense I am afraid..

We should be used to it by now though...:rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

Forget Iversen and go for one of the following to get a number that has less commitment.

Lindgren

Hamper

Zagar 

Pawlicki 

All have said they would look at riding here and all have good points to make them a better choice.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

I'm not a Poole fan by a long shot.I think its how Ford is so ruthless with his riders and a few on this forum that put me off  if, i'm honest.

But surely in the position Buster is in now,he wouldn't allow Poole to get these "ringers" in, when he has a team in the same league ?

We can only assume that anyone could of signed Woryna on a 4.65(old ave) and Spanner 4.54 on reduced ave.

Poole sign Woryna on an old 4.65 who's beating then all in Poland and it looks like Lynn might have an untested Anderson on a 4.00..The mind boggles.

8 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

I'm not a Poole fan by a long shot.I think its how Ford is so ruthless with his riders and a few on this forum that put me off  if, i'm honest.

But surely in the position Buster is in now,he wouldn't allow Poole to get these "ringers" in, when he has a team in the same league ?

We can only assume that anyone could of signed Woryna on a 4.65(old ave) and Spanner 4.54 on reduced ave.

Poole sign Woryna on an old 4.65 who's beating then all in Poland and it looks like Lynn might have an untested Anderson on a 4.00..The mind boggles.

More to do with basic economics I think..

Anyone would have wanted Woryna on that average but whether they could have afforded him is another matter..

I would imagine he is getting a few quid more than many other 4.65 riders!!!

Matt Ford knows his business so knows a successful Poole team brings in the crowds and an 'also ran' Poole team doesn't...

It is quite a unique set up in British Speedway I would suggest as they seem to be the only club who do generate regular "big" crowds for domestic league meetings when doing well and then also have a significant drop when doing not so well..

Cannot think of any other club that has such a disparate crowd level based on performance as most now just run in front of pretty much the same people every week regardless of whether successful or not....

Cannot knock him for speculating to accumulate...

1 hour ago, foreverblue said:

In theory, but in reality not everyone could afford them.

37 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

In theory, but in reality not everyone could afford them.

Not ever team could sign them on those averages.