British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

2 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Yep and anyone could have signed the two poles

Not really tho FB, Woryna signed as a Poole asset and Mateusz is also an asset.

No other clubs really stood a chance of signing either.

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

In theory, but in reality not everyone could afford them.

Buster has owned Lynn for 20 or more years.No rent...He has spent big on the stadium.Don't look like he's selling anytime soon then.Prob worth more for industrial.Must be in one of the better shapes of most in the Prem,but the team looks poor.Buster must be one of the "richest" promoters in the Prem.But spending the least..

Edited by Bald Bloke

1 minute ago, stevebrum said:

Not really tho FB, Woryna signed as a Poole asset and Mateusz is also an asset.

No other clubs really stood a chance of signing either.

Why couldn't other teams sign them as assets?

• Like 1

Think it's obviously a team built to a budget.It has positives, riders who have history with Lynn, continuity, Iversen coming back at number 1 is what most Lynn fans want which looks very likely now.

As a neutral the signing 4 riders of similar ability makes the mid order look really weak. Individually none of them are bad signings, but collectively it doesn't look great on paper compared to other teams. Should have a strong reserve though, and  also i think will be solid at home and after last year that is going to be important. However away from home will be tough again, as it's hard to see improvement from any of the main body.

Overall though given some of the riders that Lynn have had or been linked with in the last 5-6 years, the statements made by the promotion, i think i'd be disappointed with the team, i don't really think it looks to be an exciting line up. 

It's important to give the team a chance and they could surprise most people. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CrystalCastles said:

Think it's obviously a team built to a budget.It has positives, riders who have history with Lynn, continuity, Iversen coming back at number 1 is what most Lynn fans want which looks very likely now.

As a neutral the signing 4 riders of similar ability makes the mid order look really weak. Individually none of them are bad signings, but collectively it doesn't look great on paper compared to other teams. Should have a strong reserve though, and  also i think will be solid at home and after last year that is going to be important. However away from home will be tough again, as it's hard to see improvement from any of the main body.

Overall though given some of the riders that Lynn have had or been linked with in the last 5-6 years, the statements made by the promotion, i think i'd be disappointed with the team, i don't really think it looks to be an exciting line up. 

It's important to give the team a chance and they could surprise most people. 

Lynn will have a good no.1 and good reserves.Not a play off team ,unless a change or 2 is made mid season

26 minutes ago, foreverblue said:

Why couldn't other teams sign them as assets?

You missed my point. Woryna signed before the season as a Poole asset, whilst Mateusz was already an asset of Poole. 

Little chance any other club could have then.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

You missed my point. Woryna signed before the season as a Poole asset, whilst Mateusz was already an asset of Poole. 

Little chance any other club could have then.

It's while Poole still try n sign.

10 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I'm not a Poole fan by a long shot.I think its how Ford is so ruthless with his riders and a few on this forum that put me off  if, i'm honest.

But surely in the position Buster is in now,he wouldn't allow Poole to get these "ringers" in, when he has a team in the same league ?

We can only assume that anyone could of signed Woryna on a 4.65(old ave) and Spanner 4.54 on reduced ave.

Poole sign Woryna on an old 4.65 who's beating then all in Poland and it looks like Lynn might have an untested Anderson on a 4.00..The mind boggles.

Whilst I admire the ruthlessness of Matt Ford, I cant help but think he has some form of leverage over the other promoters.    They must be so gullible to allow him to  use so many loop holes in the rules and do nothing about it.   When Ford signed Woryna, I immediately thought this was a good buy,  but thought he would never be allowed to use him on an average so out of date, but it appears Matt Ford can do whatever he wants.     I wait with laughter,  at the average he will acquire Sundstrom  on.  Bearing in mind he hasn't rode here  for 5yrs, he'll probably get him on  something ridiculous like a 5   :wink:

It's always been my belief  the disparity of team strength has been the biggest turnoff  in our sport for years.    Talking with many old supporters who packed up going, this was the reason most used  when asked about  their dwindling  interest.  I'm sure the BSPA will acknowledge this, but appear nonchalant to do anything about it...  

I'm alright Jack !!!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"It's always been my belief  the disparity of team strength has been the biggest turnoff  in our sport for years.    Talking with many old supporters who packed up going, this was the reason most used  when asked about  their dwindling  interest."

I agree with g13webb that this has very often been the case, that's why they introduced the Rider Control back in the old British League. But with the points limit system that is in operation for a long time now, every promoter has the opportunity to build up to the limit in force at the given time. I don't think that you can really moan about the more astute promoters who seek out riders that are likely to improve their averages during the season. I've no doubt that Matt Ford knew that Woryna would come in on the average he has, likewise with Spanner. According to Middlo it's Matt's only form of business now, so he runs it as such, being astute, finding new riders to improve on decent averages, finding sponsorship to enable to afford some riders, like Somerset have done to be able to sign Jason Doyle.

It's about time a lot of the promoters treated speedway as a business and actually promoted, maybe then the crowds would improve and speedway might be on a better footing.

By the way, I don't support Poole or any other club, just speedway in general. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

I'm not a Poole fan by a long shot.I think its how Ford is so ruthless with his riders and a few on this forum that put me off  if, i'm honest.

But surely in the position Buster is in now,he wouldn't allow Poole to get these "ringers" in, when he has a team in the same league ?

We can only assume that anyone could of signed Woryna on a 4.65(old ave) and Spanner 4.54 on reduced ave.

Poole sign Woryna on an old 4.65 who's beating then all in Poland and it looks like Lynn might have an untested Anderson on a 4.00..The mind boggles.

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

Whilst I admire the ruthlessness of Matt Ford, I cant help but think he has some form of leverage over the other promoters.    They must be so gullible to allow him to  use so many loop holes in the rules and do nothing about it.   When Ford signed Woryna, I immediately thought this was a good buy,  but thought he would never be allowed to use him on an average so out of date, but it appears Matt Ford can do whatever he wants.     I wait with laughter,  at the average he will acquire Sundstrom  on.  Bearing in mind he hasn't rode here  for 5yrs, he'll probably get him on  something ridiculous like a 5   :wink:

It's always been my belief  the disparity of team strength has been the biggest turnoff  in our sport for years.    Talking with many old supporters who packed up going, this was the reason most used  when asked about  their dwindling  interest.  I'm sure the BSPA will acknowledge this, but appear nonchalant to do anything about it...  

I'm alright Jack !!!!!! 

The only thing that would be considered cheating or unfair would be if Buster decided to take action against Poole. THAT would be the only injustice. The rules are written and agreed to by all clubs. You cannot start changing the rules because Poole made a good fist of them. Matt isn't even using loopholes! The clubs agreed on how averages need to be calculated and Matt Ford responded by investing the hours and working out the riders that are on the very best value averages. If anything it shows how lazy some other promoters are not to do the very same thing. If Poole hadn't have signed Wornya or Szczepaniak I'd doubt anybody else would even have considered them.

Getting the most out of the rules is one of the most important parts of a sport. Understanding the rules and working out how to maximise your potential within them is almost as important as the racing that goes down on the track. It's impossible to think through every scenario when putting the rules together. The rules are put together on general consensus and then it is down to the teams to go away and make the rules work for them. Some promoters like Matt Ford appreciate this and get to work, whereas other promoters like Buster seem to have this "that'll save us a few quid, job done" attitude. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Buster has owned Lynn for 20 or more years.No rent...He has spent big on the stadium.Don't look like he's selling anytime soon then.Prob worth more for industrial.Must be in one of the better shapes of most in the Prem,but the team looks poor.Buster must be one of the "richest" promoters in the Prem.But spending the least..

That is why Buster is one of the "richest" promoters, although "least poor" sounds more appropriate. The Stars team so far, fails to re-ignite my interest even with the likelihood of NKI returning. I would rather have seen Doyle signed or Lindgren for some "freshness". 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BurntFaceMan said:

The only thing that would be considered cheating or unfair would be if Buster decided to take action against Poole. THAT would be the only injustice. The rules are written and agreed to by all clubs. You cannot start changing the rules because Poole made a good fist of them. Matt isn't even using loopholes! The clubs agreed on how averages need to be calculated and Matt Ford responded by investing the hours and working out the riders that are on the very best value averages. If anything it shows how lazy some other promoters are not to do the very same thing. If Poole hadn't have signed Wornya or Szczepaniak I'd doubt anybody else would even have considered them.

Getting the most out of the rules is one of the most important parts of a sport. Understanding the rules and working out how to maximise your potential within them is almost as important as the racing that goes down on the track. It's impossible to think through every scenario when putting the rules together. The rules are put together on general consensus and then it is down to the teams to go away and make the rules work for them. Some promoters like Matt Ford appreciate this and get to work, whereas other promoters like Buster seem to have this "that'll save us a few quid, job done" attitude. 

Belle Vue had a very potent spearhead lined up in Bjerre and Cook but the rules were re written to block it. We turned to Zagar on his low average but again the rules were re written. Are you getting it yet?

You have Holder coming back on a low average achieved with another club, all within the rules. A few years back we had the same thing with Jason Lyons, ironically he achieved his low average at Poole. Guess what, we couldn’t use him on that average as the rules were re written only to be re written again when it suited another club. 

• Like 2

It's amazing how the promoters don't close all loopholes, stopping signing of riders on false averages is a pretty simple one, isn't it? It's always, always been a contentious issue!!! 

1 hour ago, BurntFaceMan said:

I find it very difficult to discuss speedway matters with  Poole supporters, as most are blinded to the spirit of the sport and are only concerned about Poole Pirates.   I hope you are not in that bracket.     My concern was not directed as a battle between Buster and Matt Ford, but for the state of the sport in general..     I admire your admiration towards your boss Ford, but for you to think he is the only one putting in hours of work would be senseless.    

Once the sport was fought out on the track, when winning  or losing was everything, but not anymore.    Teams are not equal and result are predicable.    That may be good for some teams, but for the sport in general its a big turnoff.       The rules on assessment and out of date averages is the biggest problem of all.   They appear to be altered to suit.      I cannot believe there is a worse run organisation than British speedway.

I have long advocated for the rules to be set in stone,  illuminating these senseless yearly changes.    but since when do the BSPA  do anything  constructive,,   

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

That is why Buster is one of the "richest" promoters, although "least poor" sounds more appropriate. The Stars team so far, fails to re-ignite my interest even with the likelihood of NKI returning. I would rather have seen Doyle signed or Lindgren for some "freshness". 

I think this has been the problem for many years at King's Lynn, the lack of new riders coming to the club. In the past we tend to stick with the same group of riders... i.e. Korneliussen, Porsing, Schlein who at times didn't deserve to be in the team but were signed for a following season after being dumped the previous year. I think the management lack confidence in moving away from who they know and have tried. I would have loved to see some fresh faces in the team, the likes of Garrity, Grajczonek or Manzares would have added a bit of personality for us fans to latch onto as well as adding bit of entertainment.

King's Lynn has missed the personality from the riders in the PL days and unfortunately the current crop of Stars isn't going to engage with the fans in the same way. From what I can read between the lines of the press release from Brundle, he is going to make the riders engaging towards the fans but the only way it'll work is if the riders want to do it, not be told to.