British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

5 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

:D parade half seven and first race quarter to eight sharp!

unless its sunny

Indeed. Not sure what can be done about that unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Just a suggestion put the start line on what is now the back straight. The riders would than be more strung out before they hit the sun. Not sure if it would make a difference maybe SteveHone could tell us. 

54 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

yJust a suggestion put the start line on what is now the back straight. The riders would than be more strung out before they hit the sun. Not sure if it would make a difference maybe SteveHone could tell us. 

The might be going faster when the hit the sun for the first time, by doing that.Either way they still have to ride 4 laps.

Edited by Bald Bloke

8 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

The might be going faster when the hit the sun for the first time, by doing that.Either way they still have to ride 4 laps.

The few times that happens is annoying,  but we have no control over nature .   Probably supply riders with tinted shades would lessen the hazard . Usually the problem only lasts for 4/5 races so  riders would only be affected  twice at most...      I'm sure thinking along them lines would be better than doing nothing....:wink:

I always thought the problem was coming out of the 4th bend and therefore going from 'dark to light' very suddenly. By which time they are usually well strung out (too much so!) anyway.

10 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Put on a proper peak to the helmet for the first half of the meeting, instead of having the motocross ones that most have pointing slightly upwards. The sun has always been there at Lynn but don't recall big problems in the 70's and 80's. I would assume lots of riders these days don't drive their vans west to Somerset with the sun in their eyes!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

The few times that happens is annoying,  but we have no control over nature .   Probably supply riders with tinted shades would lessen the hazard . Usually the problem only lasts for 4/5 races so  riders would only be affected  twice at most...      I'm sure thinking along them lines would be better than doing nothing....:wink:

I remember just after Buster took over and was probably the first time I recall a sun delay. I was in the office when the ref called a sun delay,  Buster stormed in, in his best Buster Strop mode,  and vowed it would never happen again and he was going to get tinted visors for every rider so it didn't. Obviously tinted visors were not the answer.

5 hours ago, Star Lady said:

I remember just after Buster took over and was probably the first time I recall a sun delay. I was in the office when the ref called a sun delay,  Buster stormed in, in his best Buster Strop mode,  and vowed it would never happen again and he was going to get tinted visors for every rider so it didn't. Obviously tinted visors were not the answer.

Tinted goggles are banned I believe

I use a tinted visor all summer on the road. I can't see why they wouldn't work on a track too.

4 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Tinted goggles are banned I believe

Always had 6 pairs of Goggles. Clear for floodlights, various strength tints and iridium mirror lens for bright sunshine. I know frustrating but the low sun directly at the start makes it hard to see the track. But let’s be honest how many times a year are there sun delays. 2/3 x I’d rather a sun delay than standing in rain or in a cold north wind knowing the rest of the evening will be warm. 

Re start times I agree meetings should have 7.30pm first race start. Stood there many a time saying “come on let’s get on with it” - the riders are ready, so really no excuse. 

6 minutes ago, DWP said:

Always had 6 pairs of Goggles. Clear for floodlights, various strength tints and iridium mirror lens for bright sunshine. I know frustrating but the low sun directly at the start makes it hard to see the track. But let’s be honest how many times a year are there sun delays. 2/3 x I’d rather a sun delay than standing in rain or in a cold north wind knowing the rest of the evening will be warm. 

Re start times I agree meetings should have 7.30pm first race start. Stood there many a time saying “come on let’s get on with it” - the riders are ready, so really no excuse. 

Yes: 7.30pm first race.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DWP said:

Another reasons to start at 7.30 is if there are sun delays or there are other delays at least some racing has been run starting near on 8pm is 30 mins wasted time can’t be made up - for me if the club is serious about attracting families 7-30 start time is an absolute must .

• Like 2