British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

At the beginning of last season they promised they would start at 7:30pm and to be fair they tried for a bit then went back to starting when they felt like it and tractor racing, I am like many others will see how it goes at the beginning of the season if no different will give it a miss and save my Money 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

If the same happens again this season, I.e. Starts well then reverts to late starts etc. what would be your reaction?

i guess what I'm asking is how many chances are you prepared to give.

The problem is speedway is unprofessional. I accept that some delays can't be helped ,like waiting for the sun to go down or riders getting hurt. But many times after long delays there is an interval later on which really pisses me off. I will start the season with high hopes and enthusiasm but if nothing has changed from last year I will stop attending. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, lynnboy said:

At the beginning of last season they promised they would start at 7:30pm and to be fair they tried for a bit then went back to starting when they felt like it and tractor racing, I am like many others will see how it goes at the beginning of the season if no different will give it a miss and save my Money 

Yes I agree with you about the start time as as I would think 99.9 % of fans would but meetings running on to around 10 o’clock isn’t something that has just started to happen. Going back 50 years my uncle used to take me to Lynn when it used to be on a Saturday night and every week before the second half final we would have to go and stand on the third bend so we could get a quick getaway to get home to watch Match of the Day so this has been going on for years and personally it would take something much worse than this to stop me attending. 

I do realise it’s a different world now and if my kids were round about 8 years old I would want them home and in bed before 10 with school the next day so I do see your point.

Reading these posts,  it becoming most obvious  that the majority are prepared to give the promoters the opportunity to  get it right.   The ball is firmly in their court.

16 minutes ago, mrss said:

The problem is speedway is unprofessional. I accept that some delays can't be helped ,like waiting for the sun to go down or riders getting hurt. But many times after long delays there is an interval later on which really pisses me off. I will start the season with high hopes and enthusiasm but if nothing has changed from last year I will stop attending. 

I wont have it that speedway is unprofessional ,   you might have that impression from going to Lynn at times but I have been to many meetings run very professional.  both Home and Away.

Also,  when we get to the summer and the Sun is a hazard,   why not have the 15 min interval at the start of the meeting.... ????   and then run right through.......

6 minutes ago, Clive Ward said:

Yes I agree with you about the start time as as I would think 99.9 % of fans would but meetings running on to around 10 o’clock isn’t something that has just started to happen. Going back 50 years my uncle used to take me to Lynn when it used to be on a Saturday night and every week before the second half final we would have to go and stand on the third bend so we could get a quick getaway to get home to watch Match of the Day so this has been going on for years and personally it would take something much worse than this to stop me attending. 

I do realise it’s a different world now and if my kids were round about 8 years old I would want them home and in bed before 10 with school the next day so I do see your point.

Years ago we use to run on Saturday night when  finishing time wasn't that crucial, and in them days we use to have 22 heats of racing....    Different world now.....

7 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Reading these posts,  it becoming most obvious  that the majority are prepared to give the promoters the opportunity to  get it right.   The ball is firmly in their court.

I wont have it that speedway is unprofessional ,   you might have that impression from going to Lynn at times but I have been to many meetings run very professional.  both Home and Away.

Also,  when we get to the summer and the Sun is a hazard,   why not have the 15 min interval at the start of the meeting.... ????   and then run right through.......

Years ago we use to run on Saturday night when  finishing time wasn't that crucial, and in them days we use to have 22 heats of racing....    Different world now.....

Most certainly is, kings Lynn on a Saturday night Boston on a Sunday night, great times

• Like 1

With the new ruling on starts we shouldn’t lose so much time. Should save at least 10 minutes a meeting.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Clive Ward said:

With the new ruling on starts we shouldn’t lose so much time. Should save at least 10 minutes a meeting.

What ruling is that then ?

3 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

What ruling is that then ?

Apparently riders can move at the start without being penalised and races will only be called back if a rider touches or breaks the tapes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Clive Ward said:

Apparently riders can move at the start without being penalised and races will only be called back if a rider touches or breaks the tapes.

That's what I heard a while back.James Sarjeant was a gift on a 2.58 for 2018.:) Well done the Lions.

Edited by Bald Bloke

2 minutes ago, Clive Ward said:

Great as it will save a lot of restarts and stop fans getting pi##ed off. 

5 minutes ago, Bald Bloke said:

That's what I heard a while back.James Sarjeant was a gift on a 2.58 for 2018.:) Well done the Lions.

I’d heard something about it a fair while ago but nobody seemed to know just what was going to happen so I asked Dale at the fans forum and he told me what was going to happen this year.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

Great as it will save a lot of restarts and stop fans getting pi##ed off. 

We would all like to think so but I do have concerns. Giving all riders the freedom of the flyer could actually increase XT delays. 

6 hours ago, Hodgy said:

We would all like to think so but I do have concerns. Giving all riders the freedom of the flyer could actually increase XT delays. 

I think the riders who move constantly will punish themselves over  a whole season anyway.   The referee 's job is to make sure the riders do not hit the tapes and get the tapes up in a smooth manor it should be better it cannot be any worse than last year restarts galore and it might add a bit to the entertainment side of thing's.

I don't see the problems with the laws we have already.  I think too much is made of riders who take the gamble.   The rules state  if you touch the tapes your excluded .     The riders know the rules,   the Ref controls the tapes, where's the problem. ?     

What really gets up people backs, is when the red light comes on  for the slightest infringement, riders goes back to the pits,  mechanics come out,  another 10mins of waiting about .

If a rider anticipates the starts, and gets away with it, then good on him,     The Ref  will have to keep an eye on him.,,     It brings added excitement back into proceedings....

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, g13webb said:

I don't see the problems with the laws we have already.  I think too much is made of riders who take the gamble.   The rules state  if you touch the tapes your excluded .     The riders know the rules,   the Ref controls the tapes, where's the problem. ?     

What really gets up people backs, is when the red light comes on  for the slightest infringement, riders goes back to the pits,  mechanics come out,  another 10mins of waiting about .

If a rider anticipates the starts, and gets away with it, then good on him,     The Ref  will have to keep an eye on him.,,     It brings added excitement back into proceedings....

Agree..

Only the tapes actually going up starts races so all the riders can only 'go' when that happens anyway..

If you go too early you risk the chance of touching the tapes and face possible exclusion...

The only area of the start that requires fixing if you want to allow rides to move is that they can't be allowed to 'drop back' from the white line at the tapes as some do now so as to give themselves more space between the front wheel and the tapes, allowing them to roll forward more.

But that is where the starting marshal and referee come in to ensure that doesn't happen and have strong consequence for any rider doing it..

It would give 'lesser riders' in particular a chance to get out in front in races that they would usually feel they didn't stand a chance in, and on the back of that it could possibly mean more passing as that races 'obvious favourite' would have to come from the back to win..

It would also add another psychological edge to the riders (and team managers) tactics as risks will be instructed to be taken as the meeting reaches conclusion and you need points.

Also the crowd enagement it would engender as riders move, roll back, move again etc etc to seek an advantage, would deliver some much needed noise and atmosphere...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1