British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

This is where the difficulty is with speedway being a professional sport but also entertainment. No rider should get an advantage at the start in this way as it's their living and points means money but if as you say a bit of rolling adds to the entertainment..... 

11 hours ago, Hodgy said:

We would all like to think so but I do have concerns. Giving all riders the freedom of the flyer could actually increase XT delays. 

Hope not as the delays, for whever reason, apart from accidents or a busted airbag, are causing quite a few fans to question going, especially when it is cold.

Will there be more exclusions caused by riders being "conned" by other riders who, sitting a few inches back from the tapes, fake a start. Then there are the ones who move back a bit and creep forwards so they're moving when the tapes rise.

So the onus now should be on the refs to hit the button good and early, to minimise those tactics. Their job has been simplified in one respect but I think there should be a back wheel white line.

How difficult would it be to have a solid bar which track staff could place behind the riders once they were at tapes. Knock it down and be excluded. Would stop pulling back and rolling but probably cause other probs I've not thought of!

We are now  being silly,    next someone will suggest  bikes staked to the ground..    I like the competition between the rider and the ref, it adds much needed excitement after the follow the leader races.....

So what if a reserve gets a roller, or someone wins against the odds.  

How about the idea of a count down clock.  5.4.3.2.1 green light tapes up at the same time  or count down lights to green........ If a rider aint ready, sod him, his problem. Riders would soon know what gives.  

Might even build the excitement for the fans

Edited by semion
  • Like 1

If the rider is excluded, no bringing in a better rider on the night(reserve), no 15m, rider suffers, team suffers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, g13webb said:

What really gets up people backs, is when the red light comes on  for the slightest infringement, riders goes back to the pits,  mechanics come out,  another 10mins of waiting about .

That is certainly one thing that does get my back up. I thought / hoped that mechanics coming out etc etc and causing delays could very simply be dealt with, IF the sport is committed to it.

• Like 2

On 19/02/2018 at 7:41 PM, g13webb said:

If only it was that simple !!..   An apology should be from the heart.   you don't need someone to tell you he his sorry, you should be able to deduct how they feel that from their behaviour.  Very few from Lynn came out with any credit from that Poole match,  What a pity they didn't follow Poole's professional approach and conducted themselves in the right a proper way.  I'm in no doubt who the main protagonists were,   and yes I was pleased they were shown the door,    Buster must take responsibility that day for a terrible prepared track.   Don't forget, these loyal supporters had to stand about for over an hour waiting for that bloody tractor going round,    That should never have happened..

After that fiasco, we then waited 3 weeks for another meeting,, Matches were called off on the strength of the weather forecast, when the night was actually rain free.  The replacements were not of the quality  one had hope for , but I understand the difficulty.   These replacements became a problem when we had   clashed meeting  and they went missing, forcing us  to ride half a team,   Strange, it usual slipped their memory to inform their loyal fans of riders missing  until they we had paid to get in.    No one occasion, NPT  was down to ride at No5,      DWP then informed the forum , NPT was riding in Denmark with Porsing.   Most of last year the supporters were   kept in the dark, and treated like mushroom,,,,

Non more so then those double headers.  On both occasions we never had a full team for the first match,   without adequate  replacements or reserves to cover, any mishap would be catastrophic.  Needless to say both second matches were an embarrassment, a pointless exercise.    In that Wolves doubleheader 2nd meeting  we attempted to compete with only 3 riders,  we ran  8 heats with only one rider in and one without any rider at all.    That's unforgivable....   We may have been offered a refund, but that was insulting .    I felt offended by the offer.  

It would have been nice for someone to have seen the dire way the fans were treated and acknowledged the situation as it was.    It would be nice to think it would never happen again,   But as of yet, apart from bringing in Brundle,  I don't see much change..

My one hope is that Brundle will be the Messiah,  we desperately need....  

I have to say that that is just about spot on. I departed last season well before the real fun started. Will I ever return? Who knows?

21 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

That's what I heard a while back.James Sarjeant was a gift on a 2.58 for 2018.:) Well done the Lions.

I’ll bet Lewis Kerr wasn’t to dissapointed with the new rule either

On 2/20/2018 at 7:12 PM, Clive Ward said:

Yes I agree with you about the start time as as I would think 99.9 % of fans would but meetings running on to around 10 o’clock isn’t something that has just started to happen. Going back 50 years my uncle used to take me to Lynn when it used to be on a Saturday night and every week before the second half final we would have to go and stand on the third bend so we could get a quick getaway to get home to watch Match of the Day so this has been going on for years and personally it would take something much worse than this to stop me attending. 

I do realise it’s a different world now and if my kids were round about 8 years old I would want them home and in bed before 10 with school the next day so I do see your point.

I started watching speedway at Sheffield in 1961. In those days Frank Varey started at 7:45 and very rarely finished later than 9:30. A meeting then consisted of 21 races and race times were almost 10 seconds slower.

In this case I long for the "good old days".

a lot of time is taken between heat 14 and 15, if the riders in heat 14 aren't going to be in the last race i can't see why it takes so long

• Like 2

10 hours ago, stevehone said:

a lot of time is taken between heat 14 and 15, if the riders in heat 14 aren't going to be in the last race i can't see why it takes so long

I think that it is the promoter / team manager believing that they are building up the excitement of the "crowd". There is not interest in getting on with it because there is no pressure by hordes of new fans. Imagine if in football there was 5 minute ( or longer ) delay in taking a penalty.

1 hour ago, waytogo28 said:

I think that it is the promoter / team manager believing that they are building up the excitement of the "crowd". There is not interest in getting on with it because there is no pressure by hordes of new fans. Imagine if in football there was 5 minute ( or longer ) delay in taking a penalty.

They might be if there is a last heat decider but it is pointless when the meeting has been won, it just gives more people the option to leave before others to get out of the car park but if it is very cold fans just get fed up.  

• Like 1