British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

7 hours ago, Haza said:

I was there that day as well I seem to remember Micheal whipped the then England captain Ray Wilson 3 times - that morning as I’m sure it was a 11am start we all knew we’d something very special In Lee - seem to remember overnight snow  and it being freezing cold but the meeting went ahead . And yes I feel old too 

It was the centre white that day. Lee was brilliant. 

We were there, and thank goodness we were

I have quite a few special memories of speedway but that day, and in particular the manner that Lee beat Ray Wilson has to be in the top 3.

Where did it all go so badly wrong.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Willowman said:

But has a bloody good memory. :t:

Yeah apparently that happens as you get old, remember the past but not what ya did 5 mins ago ;):D

• Like 2

I don’t know Trees I quite like the idea of not remembering what I did 5 mins ago 

;)

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

It was the centre white that day. Lee was brilliant. 

We were there, and thank goodness we were

Think he beat him once, but still special.

7 hours ago, proud panther said:

Think he beat him once, but still special.

Looking back through my program  notes, he beat him 3 times,    The first was from the gate, in heat 6; then  in heat 10  Wilson made the gate , but on the second lap Lee cut back to the  inside to pass driving out of second bend.  Lee then won the second half final with Betts second  Wilson third...  Track started very wet but dried out as the meeting went.... 

• Thanks 1

My best early memory of the phenomenon that was Michael Lee was at Brandon when he easily passed and then chopped up Nigel Boocock ( then a formidable foe especially at Brandon and virtually unbeatable around there ). Michael was the best natural rider I have ever seen and the best English rider, never to have won multiple world speedway titles. A privilege to have seen him ride at his peak. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

Looking back through my program  notes, he beat him 3 times,    The first was from the gate, in heat 6; then  in heat 10  Wilson made the gate , but on the second lap Lee cut back to the  inside to pass driving out of second bend.  Lee then won the second half final with Betts second  Wilson third...  Track started very wet but dried out as the meeting went.... 

Thank you for comfiming that time plays tricks on your mind but I just knew he beat Wilson 3 times admittedly Wilson was on decline at that time but even so that was a special meeting one that I’ve never  forgotten over the years one question how many of today’s meetings will be remembered 40 odd years later ? my guess not many 

Another special night was at Coventry when on Wednesday night with a full stadium Michael won the British Final again I was there .

3 hours ago, g13webb said:

I was there ,but only young.Cheers for that.

1 hour ago, Haza said:

Thank you for comfiming that time plays tricks on your mind but I just knew he beat Wilson 3 times admittedly Wilson was on decline at that time but even so that was a special meeting one that I’ve never  forgotten over the years one question how many of today’s meetings will be remembered 40 odd years later ? my guess not many 

Another special night was at Coventry when on Wednesday night with a full stadium Michael won the British Final again I was there .

Yeah   Me too.   Them years I went to most meetings  where Lee was riding.    

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

Yeah   Me too.   Them years I went to most meetings  where Lee was riding.    

Remember reading that Wilson who was a hell of a rider himself took defeat very well against the whipper snapper Lee.I think the first time i ever saw Lee ride was in the Embassy international at Wimbledon he came a brilliant third and later in the year 1976 x2 in a league match and was fourth in the Silver Plume meeting at the Abbey the greatest English rider i have seen(never saw Craven).

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Star Lady said:

getting friendly with the Americans of the time that were 'enjoying' themselves

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Star Lady said:

I have quite a few special memories of speedway but that day, and in particular the manner that Lee beat Ray Wilson has to be in the top 3.

Where did it go wrong ? Do you mean Lee or speedway in general?  Michael made his choices as we all do in life if they are right or wrong that’s Micheal to decide - as for speedway in general the powers that be pocketed the glory years £s  rather than thinking long term in finding the next Michael Lee - thinking back in those 40odd years we’ve had Darcy Ward and to a lot lesser extent Robert Lambert but neither have come close to Lee talent he should and could have gone much further in speedway thing to remember is the British League was the strongest league in the world in Lee day Ward rode for us in the second league and Lambert is again in a very much weaker leage . Lee was special very special 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, g13webb said:

Remember Wilson giving him a friendly clip round the ear after one race where he beat him, but forgot the other 2. Even more amazing to know the full facts.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, proud panther said:

Remember Wilson giving him a friendly clip round the ear after one race where he beat him, but forgot the other 2. Even more amazing to know the full facts.

I was very fortunate to be friends with a number of people that allowed me unlimited access into the pits at Lynn.  When Lee was an interval attraction,. my friendship with Andy Lee opened the door for a connection with Michael that lasted many years.    He was an immense talent that was recognised by the whole speedway world.   Seasoned riders stood in awe as he powered round during them intervals equal to or faster than the times actually recorded during the proceeding match.   No it was no surprise when he beat Wilson in that first meeting. and Ray took it in good heart.  

Such was the talk about Lee and them interval rides at that time ,  it created so much interest  that world stars,   namely, Barry Briggs and Ivan Mauger travelled purposely to Kings Lynn solely to watch him ride.   Later they remarked that Michael was a good a 15yr old as they had ever seen,  anywhere.....     Such praise from established  Stars....

• Like 2