British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

2 hours ago, A ORLOV said:

But he would have wanted all the clubs to own their own stadiums rather than be at the beck and call of greyhound racing.  The clubs did not invest when they were making money so would they have listened to someone like Bernie.

The one thing Bernie is unlikely to have done was give away the rights without a big payback to speedway of the Sponsorship or The World Championships.

He wouldn't have had the option not being in charge of world speedway? 

3 minutes ago, Trees said:

He might have as he would have seen the value of the world championships and sold the concept to the other federations who could have agreed to who ran and rode in the championships. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Trees said:

But that’s the point, he would have been in charge of world speedway. He would have made himself in charge, his billions would/could have controlled every aspect worldwide. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DWP said:

But that’s the point, he would have been in charge of world speedway. He would have made himself in charge, his billions would/could have controlled every aspect worldwide. 

British and World.... all hypothetical anyways... 

23 hours ago, g13webb said:

Waiting for the TV,  the Councils, the sponsors  to come on board  will never happen until the product is greatly improved. 

I do think that is is the central part of the lack of public support in the UK. The product needs a lot of change and improvement  before new fans are likely to embrace it and support it with their cash. It is not going to happen though, because those who currently control it believe they are selling something terrific and worth 5,000+ people turning up for a match. Emperor's New Clothes syndrome.  75% of speedway races are boring after the first lap 2nd bend.

It is things like standardised bikes with handicap racing that might, just might , bring in new fans. But it is not speedway "as we know it" and so it will not happen. You have to look at why stock cars / banger racing pulls in so many more people around the country. It represents chaos and mayhem and the unexpected / unbelievable things happening and "going wrong". Speedway offers three riders chasing after the race leader with , in most cases, nothing happening. Only the die hard purists understand and appreciate the techniques involved. Newbies in the UK do not and are therefore hardly likely to join the tribal fan base with any passion. 

• Like 4

I don't think we need to go as far as 'Handicap' races,  but we could sure make it more enjoyable.    The first step has to be the costing.   This has to be uniform across the board with specific help for families.     The situation of the tail wagging the dog has all but destroyed our sport.    We cannot have this situation of technicians governing the costs of what the fans have to pay, and that has all but killed the sport off.    The sport has become too expensive at ground-root level,  and subsequently that is passed on to the fans.    The Bikes are far too technical now and far outweigh the costs of sustainability.    The sport doesn't need this degree of expense and persueing cheaper options has to be the first priority.   If we carry on this same avenue, come  2025, there will only be watched by a 100 fans paying £30 each for the privilege.    And that's a crazy thought.......

This is not a £18/ head sport. They expect fans to come in to watch 15  processional races,   that last all-night.    Even at £10/head it would be a hard sell.     Until that is addressed it will never change...

• Like 3

Spot on GW...

2.5 MILLION potential fans reside in the Greater Manchester conurbation,  all within a 45 min drive from the NSS, with good motorway links to get there off the M60 Motorway Ring Road...

Aprrox 1500 of these 2.5M (at best) attend each week...

The ONLY Speedway Track and Team within their area...

With a potential 'reach' of that magnitude, something doesn't add up does it?...

And as the racing is generally VERY GOOD indeed at the NSS the lack of support has to be down to the cost of admission..

And I quantify that by the fact that there are probably 3000 - 4000 or so actual people who would consider themselves BV fans who attend sporadically over the Season with varying degrees of regularity, but simply don't see paying out the current admission levels each week as within their ongoing capability fiscally..

On here, we often talk about how to engage new fans, and mention how poor the Sport is marketed both locally and nationally , however, within most catchment areas there are a huge amount of people who 'used to go', possibly to an even higher number than those who still attend..

Just getting those back each week would be an enormous leap forward..

But at current admission levels I would say it would be very difficult to do that...

Just as a throwaway thought, I always think it 'interesting' that when you do see meetings advertised in local papers either through adverts or in the weeky 'piece' put together by the local journo, they often never mention the admission costs as part of the meeting info...

Most businesses who want your business scream out about how much they charge don't they?

Strange that Speedway doesn't..!

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

Speedway is dangerous enough for the guys who take part, the 2017 World Champ almost lost his life in 2016. I think we forget this potential danger? 

Bloody bangers etc bring spectators in but they aren't every week and it's a hobby not a pro sport. Stocks are the same aren't they? Yeah people go to see the crashes but the drivers are protected by their cars. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Trees said:

Speedway is dangerous enough for the guys who take part, the 2017 World Champ almost lost his life in 2016. I think we forget this potential danger? 

Bloody bangers etc bring spectators in but they aren't every week and it's a hobby not a pro sport. Stocks are the same aren't they? Yeah people go to see the crashes but the drivers are protected by their cars. 

100% right on dangers of speedway .

Stock cars you can knock them if you like but without them I doubt there’d be any speedway at Lynn - and we’d still be watching on muddy terraces Stadium improvement wouldn’t have happened either -and you say they aren’t every week I’d take a look a the fixture list if I was you  - they are definitely doing something right with the crowds they get could it be seen as value for money ? 

stock cars isn’t for me but it’s getting to the point speedway isn’t either . 

31 minutes ago, Trees said:

Yes speedway is dangerous we all know that including those who choose to make their living that way.

As for bangers being a hobby not a professional sport, if it brings in the crowds to the point where profits are made surely it's worth speedway looking at it as a business model, i.e. riders going semi-professional (as they were in days of old). At least that way the sport might just last into the 2020s

• Like 2

Talking  about Stock Cars racing is irrelevant to the viability of Speedway.  It may put extra coppers in the tin for any Stadium revamps, but if you are trying to tell me that Buster runs speedway out of the goodness of his heart then you're dreaming.     Speedway has to run on its own identity and to that point it has to be viable.   We talk about the lack of fans but are ignoring the reason why.    Thinking along the lines that StockCars help Speedway to survive just disguises the fact of what has damaged the thinking,  that speedway is OK.

For the sport to survive on its own merits we have to forget about the Stock cars......   and address the real issues........

15 hours ago, Aces51 said:

We sometimes go on about the good old days, the big crowds, the best riders in the world riding here, a home meeting virtually every week etc., but the promoters of the 70's do have much to answer for in not investing in the sport when most clubs were making healthy profits.

..........and the riders of the 50's!!!

IMG_5177.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Talking  about Stock Cars racing is irrelevant to the viability of Speedway.  It may put extra coppers in the tin for any Stadium revamps, but if you are trying to tell me that Buster runs speedway out of the goodness of his heart then you're dreaming.     Speedway has to run on its own identity and to that point it has to be viable.   We talk about the lack of fans but are ignoring the reason why.    Thinking along the lines that StockCars help Speedway to survive just disguises the fact of what has damaged the thinking,  that speedway is OK.

For the sport to survive on its own merits we have to forget about the Stock cars......   and address the real issues........

Definitely don’t want to forget stock cars because most definitely the stadium wouldn’t be viable without them it would have been flattened years ago - so if you’ve not got a stadium how do you run speedway ?? Stock cars are a very important part of KL how could the Stadium survive on 14 speedway meeting ?? Charge £30 to get in maybe . 

3 hours ago, dj350z said:

..........and the riders of the 50's!!!

IMG_5177.jpg

I've never before heard anyone blame riders as the sole reason for the decline of crowds. Having followed speedway since the mid 50's I can't say that I've ever thought that riders take fewer chances in any era. What I do think is that riders are no longer allowed to be characters, to react to on track incidents or to refereeing decisions and that has certainly had a detrimental affect on the overall entertainment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

I've never before heard anyone blame riders as the sole reason for the decline of crowds. Having followed speedway since the mid 50's I can't say that I've ever thought that riders take fewer chances in any era. What I do think is that riders are no longer allowed to be characters, to react to on track incidents or to refereeing decisions and that has certainly had a detrimental affect on the overall entertainment.

I think one of the main problems is the conflict between modern machines and out of date tracks. Look at Belle Vue, it was designed for modern day machines and the racing is fabulous but some of the tracks that used to be brilliant are now less so, one example is Sheffield, it was great for decades but now it looks too narrow and just not right for modern machines. Some of the awkward little tracks (nowadays known as technical) are so b****y awful that I wouldn't go if I lived in the same road and admission was free.

• Like 2