British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

1 hour ago, semion said:

Whippy, I think is not that important if you live down the road, but some of us have to make a lot longer journey than that, to get our fix. 

Exactly. Got home at 11.30pm on Wednesday night due to late finish and roadworks. (Normally about an hour's journey on a good night for me). Up again at 6am for work :-(

Certainly can't bring children during term time.

Edited by kelvinht

4 hours ago, Haza said:

I’m awear of that the point I’m making if they started 7-30 by that I mean 1st race -it would be more appealing to families with kids with school the next day . 

25 minutes ago, kelvinht said:

Exactly. Got home at 11.30pm on Wednesday night due to late finish and roadworks. (Normally about an hour's journey on a good night for me). Up again at 6am for work :-(

Certainly can't bring children during term time.

As children under 16 get in free maybe the promotion doesn't care if school kids don't come in term time. 

That's typical of the kind of short term thinking of the BSPA over the years

9 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

As children under 16 get in free maybe the promotion doesn't care if school kids don't come in term time. 

I don't think the promotion don't care if kids come,they want as many people there as possible surely.The start time is a hard one to call really.7-45pm start suits me perfect when i am working until 6pm as it would do many others i would assume.7-30 pm is good to take the kids along.But i don't get the talk from adults "i have to be up early in the morning",does 15 minutes really spoil your nights sleep.When i work until 6pm it's a bit of a rush to get there then i still have to get up for 4-30am the next morning,no big deal really.Now if it was a 7-30pm start i may miss the start after finishing at 6pm along with many people now that work a 24/7 schedule.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Star Lady said:

You are right in one way does the promotion care about the free kids but they should get them interested because they are the next set of paying customers because as the older generation decrease without new interest they might as well close down 

• Like 2

On 5/4/2018 at 10:50 PM, whippy said:

we just go and enjoy the speedway.  don't worry if there is an interval or not. I do agree though that the 14/15 race could do with less time between but hey ho just the way it is and heat 15 was worth waiting for on Wednesday night.

Isn't the interval just an excuse to spin the meeting out longer so it implies the punters are getting more for their money. There are enough long gaps between races as it is, more than enough time to go to the loo or buy a hot dog.

• Like 2

Why do people get hung up on whether there is an interval or not.I guess there has always been an interval and always will be.Pretty much like at many events there will be an interval.

On a positive note,Niels went a bit better in Poland today with 7 from 4 and the only rider to beat Dudek on his home track.And Lambert also going well albeit in league 1 getting 10+2.

On 05/05/2018 at 9:58 AM, Star Lady said:

That would be very naive, short term thinking. The youngsters often bring / persuade / encourage the paying parents. 

I remember years ago when we came as a family,    Although children's  admission was free,    it was more then made up buying them   Flags,  Hooters,  Sweets, Drinks, Burgers,  Chips,  Tee Shirts that they was always on offer and regularly required...      I am in no doubt,   Cyril and Alan made more profit from our kids going,  than he did from what we spent on ourselves .

The knock-on effect from that is both our off springs are still interested in the sport,    and frequently go....

So free Kids are very important to the viability of our sport......     When thinking of the program for the night,   finishing early should be of paramount importance enabling families to get their kiddies to bed.    Dragging meetings out just to feed the takings is a false economy and does more harm then good... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, g13webb said:

I remember years ago when we came as a family,    Although children's  admission was free,    it was more then made up buying them   Flags,  Hooters,  Sweets, Drinks, Burgers,  Chips,  Tee Shirts that they was always on offer and regularly required...      I am in no doubt,   Cyril and Alan made more profit from our kids going,  than he did from what we spent on ourselves .

The knock-on effect from that is both our off springs are still interested in the sport,    and frequently go....

So free Kids are very important to the viability of our sport......     When thinking of the program for the night,   finishing early should be of paramount importance enabling families to get their kiddies to bed.    Dragging meetings out just to feed the takings is a false economy and does more harm then good... 

Absolutely spot on - thing also to remember in the days you talk of we raced Saturday nights so the urgency to basically get on with the meeting wasn’t so important as it is now on a Wednesday- I’ve no doubt when I first started going to Kings Lynn as an 11 year old boy had we raced Wednesday as we do now my mum and dad would have never took me to Kings Lynn as they would have said you’ve school the next day - to me that’s why a 7-30 start and I mean first race 7-30 would help to attract more families and without those kids we won’t have a future fan base - I don’t get why the promotion is so blind to see that .

Starting 15 minutes earlier won't make the crowd increase at all. Everyone has a choice. If you don't like a 7 45 pm start time or you think it's too late, stop at home.

13 minutes ago, mrss said:

Starting 15 minutes earlier won't make the crowd increase at all. Everyone has a choice. If you don't like a 7 45 pm start time or you think it's too late, stop at home.

I think you missed the point. Parents who don't like their kids being tired for school the next day will stop at home. Which means speedway misses out on capturing a new generation of fans. 

I agree fans have a choice but the sport is dying, fan numbers are dwindling, the sport needs all the youngsters it can get. If starting 15 minutes earlier gets just a dozen extra kids interested, IMHO it's worth it. 

15 minutes later to bed one night a week doesn't make a child so tired they can't go to school. It's just an excuse to not go places that the parents can't be bothered to go to.

• Like 4

Well NKI isn't happy at the moment. Jack Holder said he has been pretty poor so far and not living up the hype in Tourn. 

Lets see what happens. 

1 hour ago, mrss said:

Thinking like that,  you must be a Speedway Promoter,     At least,  a member of the BSPA ...

• Like 2

As I've said before I'm not sure 15 mins makes a huge amount of difference. Does it really matter if your child goes to bed at 10pm or 10:15 for example? It's going to be a late night either way.

The key is to make sure it's not 11pm through dragging meetings on to over two hours. And that they have a great time while they are there.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1