British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

Talking as a once family man,  once a bedtime deadline  has been set, parents know the schedule.   If they go to a Speedway meeting and don't get back till later, the chances are , they won't be going again because of the lateness getting back.   We're not talking of a specific meeting or the next  meeting,  we're talking about all the meetings that follow, thinking that will all be of the same.   It's not the 15mins that makes a difference, but the attitude given towards the finishing time of the meeting and how it's achieved.  

• Like 1

It is, but that's last year. This year both meetings have been done in 100 minutes or less have they not?

7 hours ago, mrss said:

Starting 15 minutes earlier won't make the crowd increase at all. Everyone has a choice. If you don't like a 7 45 pm start time or you think it's too late, stop at home.

And so far I have - I must be the only one that wants to attract the next generation of fans because without our them there will be no speedway. I’d be bending over backwards to attract families but I must have it wrong .

As some will no I’m a big cricket fan Notts have a family day on the next Bank Holiday weekend on the Sunday £1 admission for everyone- granted not everyone cup of tea but what a great idea the ground will be full and hopefully the kids will want to get mum and dad to bring them again - that’s a forward thinking sport trying to secure the next generation of fans . 

Edited by Haza

I'm sure that's what kids being free is trying to achieve at Lynn. Great idea by Notts, would be nice if speedway could let everyone in for a pound but can't see it unfortunately.

54 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

I'm sure that's what kids being free is trying to achieve at Lynn. Great idea by Notts, would be nice if speedway could let everyone in for a pound but can't see it unfortunately.

It is great kids are free at Lynn but there is a massive difference from a Wednesday night to a Sunday - I realise speedway can’t let everyone in for a £1 but Notts will fill Trent Bridge on that Sunday mainly with families there is loads going on that day besides the cricket think they have more long term vision than speedway it’s all about getting the next generation hooked - of course it’s a totally different sport more cash rich than speedway but we are competing with the likes of cricket football and every other sport for fans customer cash . 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Haza said:

And so far I have - I must be the only one that wants to attract the next generation of fans because without our them there will be no speedway. I’d be bending over backwards to attract families but I must have it wrong .

As some will no I’m a big cricket fan Notts have a family day on the next Bank Holiday weekend on the Sunday £1 admission for everyone- granted not everyone cup of tea but what a great idea the ground will be full and hopefully the kids will want to get mum and dad to bring them again - that’s a forward thinking sport trying to secure the next generation of fans . 

Speedway has done that, it doesn’t work very well, the promoter loses money and hardly any fans come back on a normal priced night.  

If parents could get over the 'can’t bring my child cos they have to go to bed early’ it would help speedway, my kids all came, they haven’t suffered at all, they catch up with their sleep, they fall asleep on the way home, it’s no big deal imho.

All I want is a meeting to move along at a decent pace. It is frustrating when after a delayed start they then throw in an interval, no need for it.  Accidents happen, people expect a delay but no need for an interval.  All I want is a nice steady paced meeting not too quick but not too slow, just enough to keep the interest without it becoming boring.   I guess a bit like Webbo’s love making, at his age. :D

3 hours ago, semion said:

All I want is a meeting to move along at a decent pace. It is frustrating when after a delayed start they then throw in an interval, no need for it.  Accidents happen, people expect a delay but no need for an interval.  All I want is a nice steady paced meeting not too quick but not too slow, just enough to keep the interest without it becoming boring.   I guess a bit like Webbo’s love making, at his age. :D

Probably, it was once the be-all  in life,   but them days are long gone,    I spend more time now, winding people on the forum.   ;)

2 hours ago, g13webb said:

Probably, it was once the be-all  in life,   but them days are long gone,    I spend more time now, winding people on the forum.   ;)

You are getting pretty good at it too :D

3 hours ago, g13webb said:

You need to get out more, to speedway preferably .........

• Like 1

Believe me I want to,    but there's always an angle why we didn't  go..     be it  Cancellations, or Riders missing,  even  times when feeling ill.     But as much as I love watching and smelling the bikes,    principals still have to be considered... 

On 05/05/2018 at 7:58 AM, semion said:

I seem to recall someone (Baggy ?) posted a running order, which didn’t include an interval.  Would make even more sense as it was late starting.

Whippy, I think is not that important if you live down the road, but some of us have to make a lot longer journey than that, to get our fix. 

We dont live down the road. It is a journey of 30 miles for us. Sometimes we just get there at start of first race so a 7.30 start means we could miss first race or two.

I never mentioned anything about a 7.30 start time more the running time. If I can be back on the Road by 9.30 that’s fine for me. I can be indoors drinking my ovaltine/Cocoa by 11.:rolleyes:

Edited by semion

6 hours ago, whippy said:

We dont live down the road. It is a journey of 30 miles for us. Sometimes we just get there at start of first race so a 7.30 start means we could miss first race or two.

And I think there are a lot of people in the same boat. It's a rural area and many fans travel 20+ miles to get to speedway, lots of them after work making a 7:30 start difficult to get to. 

• Like 1

Is it time to drop down a league and go back to Saturday nights then?

• Like 3