British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

15 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

Buster keeps his team building thoughts to himself. Is he an inscrutable, much-maligned genius or someone who cares little for what the supporters hope for and prefer? We are led to believe that Brundle, Allitt and Chapman spend countless hours locked in boardroom discussions sharing their opinions and juggling the many team options. Long may it be so, even when the terraces are bare. Will sponsors also disappear?

Seems what Buster says goes.Maybe not a 100% but still 90. 

Edited by Bald Bloke

On 6/23/2018 at 4:24 PM, mrss said:

It's not all doom and gloom at Stars meetings, but it's close to it. The problem is apart from R Lambert there hasn't been much to get excited about. The racing isn't great the atmosphere is flat and I have my doubts it will get any better. Speedway is on a slippery slope. Hardly anyone in the village where I live know what speedway is. Years ago 99 people out off 100 in my village knew who Mike Lee was. Now 99 out of 100 don't know who Rob Lambert is. 

Don't what racing you've been watching, but it's been very good this season. Big improvement on last few seasons. Last week was poor, but that was down to the away team rather than the track.

noticed quite a few Kings Lynn supporters at Peterborough recently .. is it due to a lack of regular meetings at KL?

33 minutes ago, stevehone said:

noticed quite a few Kings Lynn supporters at Peterborough recently .. is it due to a lack of regular meetings at KL?

In our particular case it’s because Sunday at 5pm is far better than Wednesday at 8ish .

As has been suggested elsewhere on the forum, that the number of fans paying to get in is irrelevant to the finances of some clubs and hence the falling crowds is not a problem - is there some truth in that at KLS? With sponsors and alternative income streams are "crowds" unnecessary at Saddlebow Rd anymore? Is that why the promotion do not feel the need to reach out to supporters? It seems incredible and tragic if that is the case, but some of us get the impression that it may be so.

35 minutes ago, waytogo28 said:

As has been suggested elsewhere on the forum, that the number of fans paying to get in is irrelevant to the finances of some clubs and hence the falling crowds is not a problem - is there some truth in that at KLS? With sponsors and alternative income streams are "crowds" unnecessary at Saddlebow Rd anymore? Is that why the promotion do not feel the need to reach out to supporters? It seems incredible and tragic if that is the case, but some of us get the impression that it may be so.

There could be something in what you are saying - one thing for certain the club has lost its way were treating the clubs fans are concerned if that’s the reason I’m not so sure . 

I remember back in the Premier League heyday when Buster had sponsors queuing up to throw money at him.  Seem to recall we had 3 'shirt' sponsor's at one time ( Money Centre, Jark and Banham Poulty)  That must have amounted to some serious wonga, it was suggested it amounted to a 6 figure sum, combined. That for a club in the 2nd Tier of British Speedway.  I would think those days are long gone.

For me, back in those days everything was rosey in the garden.  The fans were happy and were involved with the riders.  Buster was happy , sponsorship and decent gates.  The riders were happy as we had a successful team so there was plenty of points money to be had.  JC was pulling the PR strings and making the whole nights entertainment something that fans were looking forward to week on week.  Then we decided to move up with the big boys.  Interaction between riders and fans all but disappeared, sponsorship was harder to come by, riders were picking up pay cheques then onto to the next gig.  Fans no longer felt 'part' of the Club.  JC upped sticks and left ( many know and understand why).    With all this going on Buster was just content to re-arrange the deckchairs on the Titanic ( or the equivalent of)

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, semion said:

I remember back in the Premier League heyday when Buster had sponsors queuing up to throw money at him.  Seem to recall we had 3 'shirt' sponsor's at one time ( Money Centre, Jark and Banham Poulty)  That must have amounted to some serious wonga, it was suggested it amounted to a 6 figure sum, combined. That for a club in the 2nd Tier of British Speedway.  I would think those days are long gone.

For me, back in those days everything was rosey in the garden.  The fans were happy and were involved with the riders.  Buster was happy , sponsorship and decent gates.  The riders were happy as we had a successful team so there was plenty of points money to be had.  JC was pulling the PR strings and making the whole nights entertainment something that fans were looking forward to week on week.  Then we decided to move up with the big boys.  Interaction between riders and fans all but disappeared, sponsorship was harder to come by, riders were picking up pay cheques then onto to the next gig.  Fans no longer felt 'part' of the Club.  JC upped sticks and left ( many know and understand why).    With all this going on Buster was just content to re-arrange the deckchairs on the Titanic ( or the equivalent of)

The money from sponsorship today's if far greater. Stadium sponsors from Adrian Flux and club sponsorship with Tru Plant. These names far outstrip those names that have gone before.

I would say that King's Lynn could survive with half the crowds with those names backing them up. 

At the end of the day, sponsorship always comes to an end, fans are for life. When we feel we don't matter we won't turn up. 

King's Lynn will reap what they sow. They certainly ain't sowing the seeds of supporters. If that continues it's obvious what happens at the end.

Daniel Smith wrote on another thread " 

"Jonathan wasn't to everyone's cup of tea, but he did always put himself on the front line and stood up to every bullet fired on this forum. Always posted press releases, team changes etc very pronto.

He did all the same when on social media too, Twitter and Facebook. Always answered questions, even the questionable moments regarding postponement with opposition fans.

Lots of people didn't like him but was very approachable and got things done.

While stadium improvements are continuing and the new scoreboard is an excellent edition the sound system has seriously been neglected. "

Regarding Jonathon Chapman - he did at least listen or read fan feedback and attempt to do something about it. I was commenting on the same thread " the continuing decline of speedway" that in feedback to the KLS management over three years ago we ( a small group of regulars ) one thing we complained about was the muffled, mostly inaudible rider interviews that should provide some interest in the break between races. This could be improved at almost no cost by tweaking existing gear. But no - one within the promotion is listening to any suggestion put forward. We were not asking for the AFA to be roofed over.

5 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

The money from sponsorship today's if far greater. Stadium sponsors from Adrian Flux and club sponsorship with Tru Plant. These names far outstrip those names that have gone before.

I would say that King's Lynn could survive with half the crowds with those names backing them up. 

At the end of the day, sponsorship always comes to an end, fans are for life. When we feel we don't matter we won't turn up. 

King's Lynn will reap what they sow. They certainly ain't sowing the seeds of supporters. If that continues it's obvious what happens at the end.

The Money Flux is sticking in is for the Stadium, not the Speedway.     I would think If you amortised the amount paid that the % would be small for the twice (ish) Monthly Speedway of say 1200-1500 people.   I would doubt the money from Tru Plant would cover what the other 3 were handing over.  Plus lets not forget this was back in the days of 2nd Tier of British Speedway, paying out 2nd tier wages.  Not Top Level Speedway ( for the UK).  Plus I would suggest wages have gone up somewhat since 2006 (ish).  All this without even factoring the change in the rate of the EURO to the £ which is somewhere around 25-30% difference now.

19 hours ago, stevehone said:

I would think so Steve.Even i have nearly considered it,but then can't bring myself to go and watch it as it isn't my team.I went a couple of times to watch Workington with someone back in the old PL,even though i liked to see him do well it still wasn't the same as watching your own club you support race.

54 minutes ago, tellboy said:

I would think so Steve.Even i have nearly considered it,but then can't bring myself to go and watch it as it isn't my team.I went a couple of times to watch Workington with someone back in the old PL,even though i liked to see him do well it still wasn't the same as watching your own club you support race.

I think the action is pretty good at Boro and of course Sunday speedway, as u say, suits a lot of people, I would much rather go to Mildenhall though to support all our local boys.... 

• Like 1

Charles Wright is looking for a Premier club. Is it time he replaced Thomas Jorgensen in the Stars team?

11 minutes ago, mrss said:

Charles Wright is looking for a Premier club. Is it time he replaced Thomas Jorgensen in the Stars team?

Not as a straight replacement he can't.Think the only one at the moment is possibly young Kasper that may need replacing.