Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

Recommended Posts

One phrase in the Lambert article highlights some of the problems with speedway in the UK, and in particular the cost of attending meetings

 

He refers to "making a living out of speedway in the UK" - he's 19 years old, should he really be trying to make a living out of riding for Kings Lynn at that age?

 

Did Terry Betts and others expect to do that, at 19 or even older?  Most certainly, no they didn't, and admission prices reflected that

 

It's fine to be ambitious, but lads these days seem to expect far too much from a sport that is not F1 or Premier League, and far too soon

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, hagonshocker said:

Phil you have nothing that needs defending , like you state you need the extra revenue these days to exist every publication does really can’t see where Semion is coming from as like you say the 24 page ad is an extra that doesn’t cost the customer any more! I actually find the brochure quite good toilet material once I’ve read the actual magazine content lol Despite social media and the internet in general I still enjoy my fix of my speedway star as does my son...as you know! Keep it going more of us appreciate it than those that do not 

Totally agree Shocker what is three pound  today a pint of beer ? also compare that to a 2.80 racing post and the garbage 1 pound Sunday    paper  rags.Most of the news printed in the speedway star we already know anyway as for this weeks speedway star it was worth the three pound just for the Exeter feature that is superb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

One phrase in the Lambert article highlights some of the problems with speedway in the UK, and in particular the cost of attending meetings

 

He refers to "making a living out of speedway in the UK" - he's 19 years old, should he really be trying to make a living out of riding for Kings Lynn at that age?

 

Did Terry Betts and others expect to do that, at 19 or even older?  Most certainly, no they didn't, and admission prices reflected that

 

It's fine to be ambitious, but lads these days seem to expect far too much from a sport that is not F1 or Premier League, and far too soon

Let's turn your question around. Why shouldn't Lambert expect to make a living out of speedway? He's expected to make himself available to King's Lynn, turn up fit and health, with machinery prepared and ready to race.

Most people expect to make a living from their job, why shouldn't speedway riders?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, g13webb said:

My one fear though,   is that Buster won't take that back seat.......

 

Old habits die hard, very hard. But if Buster wants KL speedway to pick up again he must do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MattK said:

Let's turn your question around. Why shouldn't Lambert expect to make a living out of speedway? He's expected to make himself available to King's Lynn, turn up fit and health, with machinery prepared and ready to race.

Most people expect to make a living from their job, why shouldn't speedway riders?

I think what Midland Red meant was years ago the likes of Bettsy and co didn't dream of making a living, certainly not at age 19. The demands of the clubs were the same. I can't remember many, if any, cases of riders not turning up because of their "earning a living" job. They turned up with bike in a rack on the back of a car and just got on with it.

that said Lambert rightly wants to be a professional speedway rider, times have changed. What he needs to realise is that being a professional is full time and that includes any statements he makes to media. For any professional to publicly say he is reluctant is extremely amateurish and could well be counter productive if the feelings it's stirred up in many fans is anything to go by.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MattK said:

Let's turn your question around. Why shouldn't Lambert expect to make a living out of speedway? He's expected to make himself available to King's Lynn, turn up fit and health, with machinery prepared and ready to race.

Most people expect to make a living from their job, why shouldn't speedway riders?

He like all speedway riders is self employed, it is up to him to get the best contract he can subject to his ability, skill and scoring power.  If he expects to be able to make a living out of the sport he needs to negotiate a better contract,  get out and acquire a lot of sponsorship or ride for other teams.  If he cannot demand the income he wants then he needs to improve and do something about it.

If anyone in any job expects to earn a living they need to be in a position where their skills etc are worth want they want as an income.  If they are young and learning they have to accept a lower income to start with.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

He like all speedway riders is self employed, it is up to him to get the best contract he can subject to his ability, skill and scoring power.  If he expects to be able to make a living out of the sport he needs to negotiate a better contract,  get out and acquire a lot of sponsorship or ride for other teams.  If he cannot demand the income he wants then he needs to improve and do something about it.

If anyone in any job expects to earn a living they need to be in a position where their skills etc are worth want they want as an income.  If they are young and learning they have to accept a lower income to start with.   

Isn't the point Lambert was making is that he was prevented from negotiating a better contract with another team by King's Lynn, therefore he was forced to accept their offer?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Star Lady said:

I think what Midland Red meant was years ago the likes of Bettsy and co didn't dream of making a living, certainly not at age 19. The demands of the clubs were the same. I can't remember many, if any, cases of riders not turning up because of their "earning a living" job. They turned up with bike in a rack on the back of a car and just got on with it.

that said Lambert rightly wants to be a professional speedway rider, times have changed. What he needs to realise is that being a professional is full time and that includes any statements he makes to media. For any professional to publicly say he is reluctant is extremely amateurish and could well be counter productive if the feelings it's stirred up in many fans is anything to go by.

Times have changed. How many of the riders that Lambert was competing against in last year's World Under 21s have a full time job and ride speedway as their side-gig? The answer is almost certainly none.

I don't see Lambert's comments as amateurish. I think he makes a very valid point about an outdated and almost certainly illegal asset system which is loaded in favour of clubs.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MattK said:

Isn't the point Lambert was making is that he was prevented from negotiating a better contract with another team by King's Lynn, therefore he was forced to accept their offer?

In that case he should not have signed the contract that gave Kings Lynn that control over him.  If it was a multi year contract he will have to accept it. If it was a one season contract he is free to do what he wants.  It all comes back to this "asset" crap.  He at the moment has not got the clout to negotiate a decent contract.

Do you have a contract with your employer that stops you changing employer, without being compensated for it.

Edited by A ORLOV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, A ORLOV said:

In that case he should not have signed the contract that gave Kings Lynn that control over him.  If it was a multi year contract he will have to accept it. If it was a one season contract he is free to do what he wants.  It all comes back to this "asset" crap.  He at the moment has not got the clout to negotiate a decent contract.

I don't think there was a contract, that's the point. He said another team were ready to put pen to paper, but were scared off by "the top man of British speedway". I don't think you have to be a genius to work out who was is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one can doubt his obvious ability on a bike.    Probably it would be best if he let his riding  do his talking,  and  forego airing his views in the national magazine...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MattK said:

I don't think there was a contract, that's the point. He said another team were ready to put pen to paper, but were scared off by "the top man of British speedway". I don't think you have to be a genius to work out who was is.

In that case he has to accept what is offered,  or go and ride abroad then "the top man of British Speedway" will learn another lesson.  As it goes Chapman might get screwed over by him not riding too well in the UK or going sick at crucial times.  

Another issue is that until the riders stand together on this "control or asset" system the promoters hold all the cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MattK said:

Times have changed. How many of the riders that Lambert was competing against in last year's World Under 21s have a full time job and ride speedway as their side-gig? The answer is almost certainly none.

I don't see Lambert's comments as amateurish. I think he makes a very valid point about an outdated and almost certainly illegal asset system which is loaded in favour of clubs.

 

I said times have changed, so I agree with you on that.

Where I disagree is your 2nd paragraph. He does have a valid point BUT appealing for sponsors for new equipment whilst at the same time complaining about his employer, which effectively is what he is doing is IMHO rather silly (polite version).

as A Orlov says the riders have to stick together over the asset system, which I agree is wrong and illegal but I have a slight amount of sympathy for the promoters, who lets face it are not charities. Some riders demand far more than promoters can afford to pay, and have an inflated view of their own worth, and I just have the feeling that promoters have got together this season and tried to put a bit of reality into things with Ford and Buster (that we know about) only being interested in full transfers.

i could be completely wrong but it's never good when one side holds all the trump cards, there has to be a balance. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear Carl Wilkinson is looking for a team place. Would he be alright at reserve for the Stars?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Lambert want to earn a living out of riding in Poland, and earn a living out of riding in Sweden, as well as earning a living out of riding in the UK?

Three livings?  Isn't that a tad greedy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy