British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

28 minutes ago, g13webb said:

I live in hope,                but I'm been saying  that now for over 50yrs ....

I too live in hope and have been for the same number of years but the 2018 season will be my last, if the race night experience is not dramatically improved in terms of better racing, crisper meetings and fans being truly at the centre of the event ( i.e. the impact on them of what's going on ). And I very much agree that anyone who posts their honest opinion should not be deemed a "moaner". Until you can get the basics right e.g. replying promptly to emails etc, very little will have improved. Good communication in a two way relationship with the supporters should be a high priority. 

• Like 2

Webby you have to admit you are a bit of an old moaner........ Ok I admit it, so am I. :D

Maybe if things that the moaners mention i.e. Prompt starts, less delays, reasonably early finish and VFM had been mentioned at the fans forum or addressed in subsequent press releases, attitudes might be more positive.

In the 50+ years I've been following Lynn winning has rarely been an essential requirement from fans, in fact most years it's been a vain hope :wink: so the make up of the team is probably secondary to many.

Just saying, if that constitutes moaning I plead guilty :D

• Like 1

But SL  is it really in the Promotions interest to finish early ?...... Surely the longer people are there the more they spend...

2 minutes ago, semion said:

But SL  is it really in the Promotions interest to finish early ?...... Surely the longer people are there the more they spend...

Yes they might, but when it is cold or wet fans will get fed up attending dragged out meetings and will stop going so less will be there spending money.  Some will even get fed up on a warm evening continually watching dragged out meetings, with more tractor racing than bikes.

• Like 1

Never seems to stop them slinging in an interval when the weather is less than perfect.   Normally wait until it is after the point of no return where money is concerned though.

3 hours ago, semion said:

Webby you have to admit you are a bit of an old moaner........ Ok I admit it, so am I. :D

I suppose we have all done a bit in our time, but not without cause...... 

1 hour ago, semion said:

To me the idea of promoting is to keep everyone happy.   Prompt start;  good progress, Little hold-up with  Fans  involvement all the way,   A little bit of banter,  coupled with exciting races and the time would simple fly by.      Probably  minors racing after a short interval would keep some punters back.  to have a drink and a bite.  Everyone don't want to go home early.    The point being, when youngsters are at school the next day, they want to finish early and get home.   Hanging a meeting out is enough to put families off from coming next time....     We have to start thinking  of the bigger picture, instead of money being the end of all decisions...

Wouldn't it be better,  when someone enquired about the speedway last night , the reply was:  Yeah, it was a good night, exciting racing and we were home  by 9,  instead of  :   They dragged that meeting out,  we stood there in the freezing cold watching that bloody tractor go round and round, the racing was rubbish and we didn't get back till gone  half 10...   Wish I'd stayed in and watched the tele...       

Which reply promotes  a better picture........

• Like 3

1 hour ago, semion said:

Or they don’t return to the next meeting if it’s a long drawn out meeting the bit that gets me is the lack of urgency to keep the meeting flowing by the promotion 15 heats is 15 heats if it’s over 90 mins or 120 or180 mins It’s on a Wednesday night with work the next day a 9-15 finnish would be ideal - and just maybe it might attract families with kids that have school the next morning . 

• Like 3

Buster did mention that the double headers were a financial disaster for the club so none of them this year! 

Surely we go into this year hopeful and with an open mind? 

90 minutes (ie 19:45 - 21:15) is plenty long enough and would be ideal.

The thing ive always found annoying when visiting Kings Lynn is that the meeting always starts 15-20 minutes after the advertised tapes up time. Some have flowed quickly and others dragged on (often depending upon the dreaded RR). If you want people to be positive from the off then start on time.

Its a shame to see that the potential MDL side is also not returning this year. I always thought that it offered a balance and a little extra entertainment to those who were not looking to rush away after the main meeting.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

90 minutes (ie 19:45 - 21:15) is plenty long enough and would be ideal.

Is that Including foreplay ? :D  Sorry I mean The Parade ?

• Haha 1

:D parade half seven and first race quarter to eight sharp!

so that's 19.30- 21.15....1.75 hours.   Stick in Buster's customary 30 mins interval...That's 21.45 finish.... 15 mins to get to the car and out of the car park... That's  2.5hrs....not factoring in the queue to get in.   

It soon mounts up

1 hour ago, Trees said:

Buster did mention that the double headers were a financial disaster for the club so none of them this year! 

Surely we go into this year hopeful and with an open mind? 

Well that’s hardly rocket science to figure that one out - race the same club twice on the same night mmm not difficult really .