British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

I guess Lee’s feet of clay helped built the idea of what might have been.  Thinking back we didn’t know then how lucky we were to witness the  spectacle that was unfolding, sadly it was all gone way to soon.

Honie it wasn’t just the yanks I think Lee had a good ‘friendship’ with a certain Aussie from just down the road.

I don't think it was one thing or one reason, but accumulation of many, that all added to the downfall.    Knowing Michael  how I did,   I was amazed at his ability that, when he had all the problems in the world,   all the stress you wouldn't imagine,   the weight of the whole team expecting him to perform,   he could put his leg across that bike and perform like he did.    It must have taken immense self belief to perform at the top level and regularly defy the logic of balance.   He was that good...

I always felt, had he been able to lead a normal life with little or no pressure, and just concentrating on his riding,    nobody would have got near him.   He could have ruled the sport for years......

But probably he needn't that pressure to perform at that level....        its something we will never know............

3 minutes ago, g13webb said:

I don't think it was one thing or one reason, but accumulation of many, that all added to the downfall.    Knowing Michael  how I did,   I was amazed at his ability that, when he had all the problems in the world,   all the stress you wouldn't imagine,   the weight of the whole team expecting him to perform,   he could put his leg across that bike and perform like he did.    It must have taken immense self belief to perform at the top level and regularly defy the logic of balance.   He was that good...

I always felt, had he been able to lead a normal life with little or no pressure, and just concentrating on his riding,    nobody would have got near him.   He could have ruled the sport for years......

But probably he needn't that pressure to perform at that level....        its something we will never know............

Wasn't that his natural talent, he didn't need to think about performing too much? 

We always blamed his relationship with the Americans for his downfall but at the end of the day it was his decisions. I wish I had been old enough to really appreciate what I was watching in Michael! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Haza said:

Where did it go wrong ? Do you mean Lee or speedway in general?  Michael made his choices as we all do in life if they are right or wrong that’s Micheal to decide - as for speedway in general the powers that be pocketed the glory years £s  rather than thinking long term in finding the next Michael Lee - thinking back in those 40odd years we’ve had Darcy Ward and to a lot lesser extent Robert Lambert but neither have come close to Lee talent he should and could have gone much further in speedway thing to remember is the British League was the strongest league in the world in Lee day Ward rode for us in the second league and Lambert is again in a very much weaker leage . Lee was special very special 

He won everything of note there was to win. Presumably you mean he could have won more of the same?

35 minutes ago, Sotonian said:

He won everything of note there was to win. Presumably you mean he could have won more of the same?

Yes that what I mean 

22 hours ago, Trees said:

Wasn't that his natural talent, he didn't need to think about performing too much? 

We always blamed his relationship with the Americans for his downfall but at the end of the day it was his decisions. I wish I had been old enough to really appreciate what I was watching in Michael! 

I actually believe because Michael was a perfectionist i.e.) wanted everything spot on aquipment wise that went against him at times.That was the reason why sometimes he did not turn up for meetings remember one accasion he was up all night trying to fix his bikes for his Golden Helmet clash at Sheffield with Shawn Moran he didn't make it,You think if he had his career all over again he could get to meetings and 100 per cent just concentrate on his riding in a way Michael was similar to Gollob always hands on on the mechanical side.

Let's not continue talking about Michael as if he were dead. His riding career has been long over but the man happily remains with us. He has said that if he could do it all over again, he would change very little.

so no home or away meeting this week now got to keep waiting seem its not on anywhere in the country :) .

• Sad 1

On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:58 AM, waytogo28 said:

Let's not continue talking about Michael as if he were dead. His riding career has been long over but the man happily remains with us. He has said that if he could do it all over again, he would change very little.

There is little else to get us excited, at least Lee, created a bond few have ever seen.    He may be retired  but he will never be forgotten.....     He done more to get Lynn noticed  than everyone before or since...      

Unfortunately I'm not quite old enough to remember Michael Lee in his initial spell at Lynn, I was three when he became World Champion and would have been going regularly then but can't really recollect much before 1983 and those memories are mainly of Richard Hellsen. Of course I can remember his two ill fated comebacks but by then he was a shadow of his former self.

My first proper hero was Henka in the early nineties, he was unbelievable at times round Lynn particularly in 1993 when he had some seriously fast kit. I've never seen anybody overtake quite like him since and probably won't again.

• Like 1

We’ve enjoyed some very talented riders in Stars colours over the years :D

42 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Unfortunately I'm not quite old enough to remember Michael Lee in his initial spell at Lynn, I was three when he became World Champion and would have been going regularly then but can't really recollect much before 1983 and those memories are mainly of Richard Hellsen. Of course I can remember his two ill fated comebacks but by then he was a shadow of his former self.

My first proper hero was Henka in the early nineties, he was unbelievable at times round Lynn particularly in 1993 when he had some seriously fast kit. I've never seen anybody overtake quite like him since and probably won't again.

Henka was some rider very quick indeed total class, along with Per Jonsson the two classiest Swede's we have seen since the ill fated Tommy Jansson.

Reading this week's S/S,     It seem   Troy Batchelor  has a big dislike for the Stars and their Boss.     He wants to remember, If he hadn't tried to pull the wool over our eyes, and done as he was contracted to do  there would be no issues and he would have been able to ride all last  year.......

Obviously Buster has to be apportioned part of the blame of what unfolded,  but Troy was no an innocent party.      He seems to have forgotten that.......    He's as much to blame as anybody.   The biggest losers, as usual were the fans .....

• Like 2

Troy has always been the same, will never change. As you say Buster has to take a large part of the blame for last year but we all know what Batchelor is like, these comments still come as no surprise to anybody and he is entitled to his say.

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1