British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

17 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

You are right Trees, Poland has a much more helpful infrastructure but I think the contrasting fortunes of the two leagues emphasises how badly British Speedway has been mismanaged over the past 25-30 years. Huge opportunities missed by promoters not working together and instead looking out for themselves. We probably could have something similar to Poland or Sweden but it will take a lot of time and effort to build it up again, and a big change in approach.

Promoters have never had the support of councils, we are a tiny country compared to Poland. 100% the promoters from the early days must've had support as there were some huge stadiums built but of course the support of the fans in their thousands was there too. We know what has happened to most of those stadiums though, flatterned for housing :(

Had the original stadiums been council owned and Speedway had remained a high profile sport here we may have had something like Poland now but it didn't lol

The fans don't admire riders either as they do in Poland, we have become pretty much blase about them and the racing, easy come, easy go it seems. Years ago they were on a pedestal and revered, all we do now is complain about the racing they are dishing up. I think sometimes we forget what a dangerous sport it is and how close to the edge the guys are but that's us. 

14 minutes ago, g13webb said:

I think you would make a brilliant Speedway promoter as you only see it from their prospective.    You are always backing them in there ways  and find it difficult to understand those whose question them.     If the product was that good the fans would come,   If the prices represent VFM the fans would come,   if we offered a good environment with plenty of enjoyment , probably the fans would come back.     Waiting for the TV,  the Councils, the sponsors  to come on board  will never happen until the product is greatly improved. 

The Polish don't do anything different to here but they have bigger crowds, pay more money to the riders so they give 100% 100% of the time on the best equipment available as they don't want to lose their jobs,  they have been able to build new, speedway only stadiums within walking distance of their town centres with money from wherever (some say from dodgy sources), they have signed a huge TV deal so more money for the coffers. 

Not sure that British speedway has ever had quite this, apart from 90 years ago when of course state of the art stadiums were built all over the country. 

11 minutes ago, Trees said:

Take a look at the old West Ham stadium.... 

What’s the point in looking at stadiums that’s long since gone ? Can say the same about many many more clubs . It’s the total lack of forward thinking dating all the way back to the 1970s in those days 13 heats and a second half was enough times have changed speedway hasn’t that’s one problem- another in the glory years promotions should have invested in the future 80cc for instance the Danes Swedes and Poles have all done this what have we done ? For me though one of the biggest reason for the decline of Speedway in the UK  is the loss of weekend fixtures especially in the top league - an away fixture on a Saturday has much more appeal than even a home fixture on a Wednesday. 

I accept that many speedway stadia and tracks no longer provide the facilities and good racing required if we are to attract significant numbers of new fans, let alone retain those we already have. What I don't accept is that it is impossible to get new stadia built. It was far from easy to get the NSS built and I accept that many councils will not contemplate doing what Manchester Council has done. However, I don't believe that Manchester are the only council that can be persuaded to provide a modern facility for a sport which has an important place in the history of its town or city and brings revenue and provides jobs for the local community. What is needed is the determination and ability required to persuade councils and local businesses to get behind such projects. Include whatever community facilities may encourage and enable councils to justify the project to their constituents and to help sell the proposal.

However, a new stadium is no guarantee of success. It is a slow process to convince people that Speedway is a sport they will enjoy and want to support but a modern stadium and good race track is an excellent base from which to start. 

At the NSS we have much of what they have in Poland. A new modern stadium, not on the scale of some in Poland but nonetheless a stadium with modern facilities and a brilliant race track. Riders give 100% because the track is wide with many racing lines and because they feel confident and safe. Racing is generally of the highest standard and meetings usually completed in under 2 hours but despite all of that the crowds have not come flocking back. The numbers are up compared to the dog track but last year we averaged 1500, less than the numbers required to break even. There is no magic potion that will increase the crowds overnight but as more people see the quality of the product on offer and enjoy their night out they will in turn encourage others to attend and the more fans you have the more the atmosphere improves and fans enjoy it more. It's a cycle of getting new fans, they enjoy it, they sell it to their friends and it mushrooms.

Clearly, many other things also need to be done to improve the overall speedway experience and vital to that is presenting a credible and professionally run sport. The BSPA have failed miserably and must have the courage and foresight to see that the current management model doesn't now work. Some had hopes that the Chapman era might change things for the better but unfortunately we still have no openness or transparency, rules which are not applied consistently and new back of a fag packet rules which last no longer than a pack of cigarettes. We shall never attract and retain new fans so long as the too obvious incompetence of the BSPA to regulate the sport sensibly and consistently continues.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Aces51 said:

Clearly, many other things also need to be done to improve the overall speedway experience and vital to that is presenting a credible and professionally run sport. The BSPA have failed miserably and must have the courage and foresight to see that the current management model doesn't now work. Some had hopes that the Chapman era might change things for the better but unfortunately we still have no openness or transparency, rules which are not applied consistently and new back of a fag packet rules which last no longer than a pack of cigarettes. We shall never attract and retain new fans so long as the too obvious incompetence of the BSPA to regulate the sport sensibly and consistently continues.

Exactly,   The BSPA have difficulty running a committee meeting, let alone a Speedway organisation.     Their Business Plan is devised, totally  for their own survival.  Its as though nothing else matters..

It was really refreshing seeing the Polish version of what our sport could be like......   It showed we are a million miles away......

NB:  When I made comparisons earlier, of our clubs and tracks  to those of Poland ,   I should have mentioned I didn't include  NSS in that.  Belle Vue have done a wonderful job,  trying to bring speedway back to the present day, and now have a tremendous race track.   All it needs now is regular meetings on the tele to advertise its existence.   I am in no doubt there are thousands of people in Manchester who don't know of  NSS .  or the quality of racing it produces......    

A number of years ago I heard that Bernie Ecclestone wanted to take on British speedway. The then BSPA committee turn him down as he wanted get rid of them all and run speedway as a dictatorship, as he did with F1. Love or hate him, I wonder where British speedway would be today if he had got his way. 

23 minutes ago, DWP said:

A number of years ago I heard that Bernie Ecclestone wanted to take on British speedway. The then BSPA committee turn him down as he wanted get rid of them all and run speedway as a dictatorship, as he did with F1. Love or hate him, I wonder where British speedway would be today if he had got his way. 

It was never going to happen David

31 minutes ago, DWP said:

Couldn’t be in a any bigger mess than it is now I’d have thought 

Speedway in GB dose need to be run by someone on the out side like what they are doing with team GB.

5 hours ago, Haza said:

How can you say that.   Bernie has single handedly made F1 into the biggest sporting entity in the world.   Sure he has made himself a fortune, but he has created a monster enterprise in F1.  followed  by the whole civilised world.

Had he been in charge of Speedway, we  would  have a sport fit for the purpose, and followed by everyone.  

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, g13webb said:

How can you say that.   Bernie has single handedly made F1 into the biggest sporting entity in the world.   Sure he has made himself a fortune, but he has created a monster enterprise in F1.  followed  by the whole civilised world.

Had he been in charge of Speedway, we  would  have a sport fit for the purpose, and followed by everyone.  

But he would have wanted all the clubs to own their own stadiums rather than be at the beck and call of greyhound racing.  The clubs did not invest when they were making money so would they have listened to someone like Bernie.

The one thing Bernie is unlikely to have done was give away the rights without a big payback to speedway of the Sponsorship or The World Championships.

6 hours ago, Haza said:

13 minutes ago, g13webb said:

Don’t think Haza was saying that. 

• Like 2

We sometimes go on about the good old days, the big crowds, the best riders in the world riding here, a home meeting virtually every week etc., but the promoters of the 70's do have much to answer for in not investing in the sport when most clubs were making healthy profits.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, g13webb said:

I was  talking about speedway not F1 

Edited by Haza