British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

55 minutes ago, ray c said:

The team that finished top are the best team the team that won the knockout stage  won the league and that the way it is 

Have you met Shovvy. I doubt it ;)

Is Adam Ellis a Poole asset?  Still can't believe how poor he rode, even in the race he won he wasn't really going for it... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trees said:

Is Adam Ellis a Poole asset?  Still can't believe how poor he rode, even in the race he won he wasn't really going for it... 

No was supposed to be but Cook undercut Matt after agreeing the fee and sending the cheque. 

11 minutes ago, Trees said:

Swindon I believe 

1 hour ago, Trees said:

He was surprisingly pants, and human nature being what it is, it was bound to raise a few eyebrows in the circumstances. Not having NKI certainly cost Lynn,  especially in the home leg ....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

All about money I'm afraid, the crowds at least double in size for it, so it will be around for a while yet. 

That's the truth in a nut shell its all about the money nothing to do with sport.

I agree that the play offs bring in the crowds and fill the promoters coffers for a few meetings.

But what I do wonder is how much harm in the long run they do to the sport,most times that a team that does not finish top of the league wins the play offs we get threads like this one which over the years has caused many many pd off fans. Because of weakened teams due to injuries,poor guests, teams strengthening for the plays offs alleged rule breaking plus many more reasons to p off fans.

My team have finished top of the league twice and lost the play offs both times I was gutted and mega pd off and at the time looking for all the unfair reasons why we lost yet I was not that bothered at all when reaching the play offs and losing when not finishing top.

It just makes me wonder for how many fans has the play offs been the final straw and made them walk away from the sport.After supporting your team all YEAR watching/willing them on to win the joy of away wins and in the end the happiness of toping the league then over a few matches its all over and you win sod all is gutting.I must admit at the time it left me very disillusioned with the sport and walking away did cross my mind but I got over it and am still here but how many others are not.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 3

I can understand why people don't like play-offs but there's no guarentee King's Lynn would have been champions if it just came down to who finished top of the table. Maybe they wouldn't have coped with the added pressure etc, maybe they would have done even better, it's impossible to know what might have happened differently. Then you have things like Somerset losing at Leicester by 2 points when they didn't bother using Doyle in heat 15, they would likely have won that instead, would Belle Vue have won at Somerset with nothing to play for instead of needing it to keep their play-off hopes alive?

Obviously King's Lynn were unlucky in the final and have had a great season with a team that many, including myself, thought looked poor but starting a season knowing you have to finish top is completely different to just making sure you finish top 4 and being top is a bonus. The relevance of every meeting changes.

Isn't that what most sport, including Speedway should be doing?  Attracting big crowds who are often paying more than t he normal admission and making money for the clubs?!

Thats exactly what the play-offs do and what all clubs sign up to at the start of each season. There has to be winners and losers - thats sport.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Rubbish. Kings Lynn played a couple of late double headers against teams that were no longer in the running and just went through the motions. 12 easy points. Suddenly Lynn fans thought they were invincible, especially after beating an injury ravaged Belle Vue in the semi finals.

Once Poole brought Harris in we were clearly the best team in the league. And it showed when it mattered.

Just accept you were the next best team. No shame in that.

The Stars had a very good season and all fans of Kl should be pleased. I agree with Steve Shovlar on this point ( unusual for me ) but he is spot on - the reality is as he has written here. We were the Next Best Team and there is only credit in that - certainly no shame.

5 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

The Stars had a very good season and all fans of Kl should be pleased. I agree with Steve Shovlar on this point ( unusual for me ) but he is spot on - the reality is as he has written here. We were the Next Best Team and there is only credit in that - certainly no shame.

Yeah we were the Next Best Team in the play offs ....