British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

Travel and time off work is the biggest problem for the semi pro rider. Agree with JC, 2 leagues North and South that would reduce travel costs. Riders taking time off work have to give notice, problem is when meeting is cancelled day wages lost and no meeting, to many meetings cancelled at the slightest hint of rain. Would love to see more weekend racing would attract more kids and away fans.

Put on a regular show that both riders and supporters can enjoy and the same Severn riders each week, barring injuries would be a good start. Interaction with fans and basic entertainment are both fundamental to the success, not rocket science!!!

• Like 3

I would personally have only two leagues of 12 teams (one semi pro and one amateur). In the top league restrict teams from building with any riders over a 6 point average, no GP riders and no riders who ride in more than one other country. Put in place a total team spend of £5k per match and riders pay terms have to be registered with BSPA. Any clubs trying to get smart and work a way around it will be fined £10k.

Riders will then have to cut their cloth accordingly but clubs will be able to survive and start to invest money into marketing which will drive growth for the future.

Sorry but in my opinion this proposal would kill it stone dead, instantly.

• Like 4

The main expense is professional riders and they will not want to cut their costs as they need to ride the best machines and compete at the highest level, just as they do in every other country

The reality is british speedway can no longer afford these riders and therefore needs to focus on semi professional riders.... Just like we had in our successful premier league days.

However there are not enough of these to go around and their packages have reached a level far higher than it should be due to them trying to buy equipment that can match the top riders.

An attempt was made to remedy the problem with double up riders but this has backfired and created its own monster, with many now deciding to become full time professionals rather than semi pros.

The best days are behind the sport and now it needs to go backwards to try and rebuild with a long term plan rather than living hand to mouth every year.

I would personally have only two leagues of 12 teams (one semi pro and one amateur). In the top league restrict teams from building with any riders over a 6 point average, no GP riders and no riders who ride in more than one other country. Put in place a total team spend of £5k per match and riders pay terms have to be registered with BSPA. Any clubs trying to get smart and work a way around it will be fined £10k.

Riders will then have to cut their cloth accordingly but clubs will be able to survive and start to invest money into marketing which will drive growth for the future.

I get the idea, but I think it'd kill off a lot of casuals and possibly even some of the die hards in the sport. But completely agree with you with regards to marketing, it's one thing the sport in a lot of clubs cases are absolutely garbage at. Edited by skj

Any reason why?

Just to ensure I haven’t missed a previous post. Is your proposal based on replacing the current PL and CL / NL with a 2 League only structure, semi pro and amateur?

Just to ensure I havent missed a previous post. Is your proposal based on replacing the current PL and CL / NL with a 2 League only structure, semi pro and amateur?

Yes, as clearly not enough riders to make up two professional leagues

Yes, as clearly not enough riders to make up two professional leagues

Ruling out all current riders with a +6 point average?

Ruling out all current riders with a +6 point average?

Thanks JC.Hodgy,maybe a place for some 6+ average riders if theres not enough riders,but on the same money as a 5.99 rider,as long as in the team's

point limit.

Edited by Bald Bloke
  • Like 1

Thanks JC.Hodgy,maybe a place for some 6+ average riders if theres not enough riders,but on the same money as a 5.99 rider,as long as in the team's

point limit.

JC didnt respond but liked your response, assume his answer is yes. So there are not enough riders for 2 professional leagues yet you are putting all with a +6 point average out of work? Most PL teams top 4 riders all averegad more than 6. This plan sounds insane. I must be missing something. Edited by Hodgy
  • Like 1

JC didnt respond but liked your response, assume his answer is yes. So there are not enough riders for 2 professional leagues yet your putting all with a +6 point average out of work? Most PL teams top 4 riders all averegad more than 6. This plan sounds insane. I must be missing something.

Entitled to your opinion. Look forward to hearing your plan.

JC didn’t respond but liked your response, assume his answer is yes. So there are not enough riders for 2 professional leagues yet your putting all with a +6 point average out of work? Most PL teams top 4 riders all averegad more than 6. This plan sounds insane. I must be missing something.

Must admit 6 is extreme.This would put 11 British riders out of a job straight away.Most of which have been very loyal to British speedway too.

I recall a meeting which I believe was in the premier trophy in March 2007, where Kings Lynn Beat Sheffield 75-15

I remember that meeting well Alex, not because I was there, but was sitting in a Theatre that night watching a show, with my mobile (on silent) in my hand getting updates from a friend at the meeting. When he started texting, Heat 1. 5-1, Heat 2. 5-1, Heat 3. 5-1 and so on for every heat, I thought he was having a laugh. I texted back "stop being silly and post the proper score" he replied "That is the proper score!" Ah yes, remember it well.

Entitled to your opinion. Look forward to hearing your plan.

My opinion was seeking clarity and response according to your confirmed proposed plan. Do I need to have a plan in order to put forward my opinion?

Your plan with no +6 point average riders (in the top league) forces today’s majority out. Many loyal (several British) riders with nowhere to go. There are also more than 24 clubs today, albeit some on life support. We just forget and close the others?

Wolves led by Greaves and Riss, Belle Vue with Bewley and Smith etc... in our ‘top tier’? Cooke, Harris, Nicholls, Worralls, Lawson and numerous others with no place in British Speedway?

You are also entitled to your opinion - is my summary in line with your intended meaning?

• Like 1

My opinion was seeking clarity and response according to your confirmed proposed plan. Do I need to have a plan in order to put forward my opinion?

Your plan with no +6 point average riders (in the top league) forces todays majority out. Many loyal (several British) riders with nowhere to go. There are also more than 24 clubs today, albeit some on life support. We just forget and close the others?

Wolves led by Greaves and Riss, Belle Vue with Bewley and Smith etc... in our top tier? Cooke, Harris, Nicholls, Worralls, Lawson and numerous others with no place in British Speedway?

You are also entitled to your opinion - is my summary in line with your intended meaning?

The riders you have mentioned such as Harris and cook are amongst the ones British speedway can not afford.... FACT

This should be about cutting costs and allowing speedway to cut its cloth accordingly so it can invest in marketing and growth. But you talk like it is 'jobs for the boys' .... In fact you talk just like a promoter.