British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

Going back five years or so we had many of these Big Name ( top dollar ) Riders in UK teams and they failed then, to bump up attendance numbers or attract new fans. Why will tempting them back work now?

• Like 3

Going back five years or so we had many of these Big Name ( top dollar ) Riders in UK teams and they failed then, to bump up attendance numbers or attract new fans. Why will tempting them back work now?

Five years or so ago the attendances were higher than they are now, and we didn't have 'many of these Big names', the league had already been weakened a lot, but it was stronger than now.

Five years further back the attendances were higher still.. and so on.

• Like 2

Five years or so ago the attendances were higher than they are now, and we didn't have 'many of these Big names', the league had already been weakened a lot, but it was stronger than now.

Five years further back the attendances were higher still.. and so on.

I don't agree at all.

Attendances have only reduced imo mainly due to the admission increases, only a small fraction due to rider standards.

if admission was rolled back to £10 in the top league the attendances would rise, I have no doubt.

• Like 2

Trees I'm not suggesting we go back to universal black leathers, I was saying that if they were all wearing black a large number would not be able to tell who was who. Certainly any newbies wouldn't.

In an ideal world riders would be paid the earth but that's not where we are and for the sport in the UK to survive radical measures have to be taken.

Hodgy, no I didn't go to NL this season. The only one I attended at Lynn this year was the one following Holder/Batchelor gate as I wanted to show my support for Busters stance. Quite frankly I was bored rubbishless. The meetings that have provided me with the most pleasure in the past few years have been those involving the youngsters - Bickley and the McGurks etc. The racing isn't always the best but the sheer joy and commitment shown by those lads more than make up for it. Sadly few of those meetings are within decent travelling time for me nowadays.

The reason crowds have dropped is because the racing has become rubbish and it's not entertaining anymore, the admission price is to high, and people are fed up with speedway.

So if the Sport gets dumed down even further.... It will cut costs ...that's a given but will it not also

1. Be at a lower admission price

2. Attract a smaller paying audience

3. No TV coverage ( payment)

4. Sponsorship levels for both rider and Club would drop.

5. Smaller crowds = less food and beverage sales etc

Of course you can tell who is who, all riders have their own style and way of racing. Riders will never all be equal, whether on similar engines or not, they all have different racing talents and are individual blokes, gating, passing skills, able to attract more sponsors, great with the public, good at set ups, keeping fit, physical strength, dirty/hard, tiny in stature etc etc.

It's only the promoters that know what finances they have to chuck about, whether their promotion is lacking etc

I certainly don't want to see the most talented guys stopped from racing here, they work hard to get where they are But IF the promoters are paying them what they can't afford mmmmmmm. The promoters are between a rock and hard place, they need to build strong teams to attract the public and sponsors but it costs, speculate to accumulate or live comfortably, bit like life really....

Never mind all that Trees, I hear the local Tyre fitter is making a fortune where you are .. :D

Edited by semion

Much as I like to see NKI racing around Saddlebow Rd, his place in the team failed to attract any new fans - quite a number were lost during his time as a Star.

So if the Sport gets dumed down even further.... It will cut costs ...that's a given but will it not also

2. That's where the BSPA and all clubs owners need to actually do some work in the local communities to counteract No's 3, 4 & 5 and stop threatening and blaming fans for clubs closing down.

They have a responsibility to attract supporters, deliver a VFM product and work hard to maintain that support.

The days of "use it or lose it" threats are long gone as it's so much easier to find other thing's to do.

• Like 3

Never mind all that Trees, I hear the local Tyre fitter is making a fortune where you are .. :D

OMG, how do you know??!!!!

It doesn't matter if prices are put up.

Weaken the product, more fans will walk away. It seems the only idea the BSPA can ever come up with is.. weaken the product.

Its very easy to come on here and criticise a viewpoint regarding the future of speedway without actually stating what you would do to turn it around.

Reading the contents of this thread that is precisely what most - if not all - have done.

I don't agree with some of Jonathan's points but at least he has had the character to put something forward as a starting point.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3

I recall a meeting which I believe was in the premier trophy in March 2007, where Kings Lynn Beat Sheffield 75-15

I remember that meeting well Alex, not because I was there, but was sitting in a Theatre that night watching a show, with my mobile (on silent) in my hand getting updates from a friend at the meeting. When he started texting, Heat 1. 5-1, Heat 2. 5-1, Heat 3. 5-1 and so on for every heat, I thought he was having a laugh. I texted back "stop being silly and post the proper score" he replied "That is the proper score!" Ah yes, remember it well.

And the strange thing at the end of season guess who dumped Kings Lynn out of the Play Off Semi Final.

Its like the old saying its not how you start its how you finish.

Its very easy to come on here and criticise a viewpoint regarding the future of speedway without actually stating what you would do to turn it around.

Reading the contents of this thread that is precisely what most - if not all - have done.

I don't agree with some of Jonathan's points but at least he has had the character to put something forward as a starting point.

It’s not a criticism, it’s an opinionated response to a proposal. Isn’t that what forums are about? The counter response / opinion is clear, “weaken the product further will result in more fans walking away”.

You state “Its very easy to come on here and criticise a viewpoint regarding the future of speedway without actually stating what you would do to turn it around”. Is your post any different?

And the strange thing at the end of season guess who dumped Kings Lynn out of the Play Off Semi Final.

Its like the old saying its not how you start its how you finish.

Two words Spin. Andrew Moore

It doesn't matter if prices are put up.

Weaken the product, more fans will walk away. It seems the only idea the BSPA can ever come up with is.. weaken the product.

You must be a man with deep pockets to say it 'doesn't matter to put prices up'. You go on about fans walking away because the product is weaker, but the fact remains, fans stay away for many reasons, but cost and VFM would be the main protagonists views....

I was fortunate to attend many Wembley World Finals when 100k was the norm. Now we have the pleasure of a solitary meeting, in our wonderful stadium at Cardiff, yet we struggle to get 40k in attendance. If as you suggest we had a stronger league, the attendances would be of small increase but the cost would be sky high. The sport has to reach out for new fans. To do that we have to make it more attractive, we have to make it more affordable. Failing that they won't even come through the door.

If you asked Joe Bloggs in the street, whether he would prefer to see top riders at £20 a head or lesser riders at £10, he would always go for the cheapest option. Such is life....

• Like 4