British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

Can you ever see a 16 year old lad now ever coming into the top league and beating and mixing it with the best Lee was a one off one of the best riders i have ever seen.

Certainly was but he threw it all away

Well done to Chris Holder - finishing 4th in the German SGP. Oops - wrong thread :wink:

Did you copy that in a tweet or email to Buster ?

• Like 2

Is Robert like Lee in some respect did Lynn lose a few supporters when he left? Bettsy who had a huge following was nearing the end so that time was a strange period for the club.

Robert doesn't look like going down the "throw it all away" line but he is still young. Robert is well capable of going all the way to the GP's and even to a world title ( assuming he can gate more consistently than he does currently ). He has natural talent on a bike in much the same way as Michael Lee had. Perhaps Michael Lee's success came too easily and too early but they are very different personalities.

Robert doesn't look like going down the "throw it all away" line but he is still young. Robert is well capable of going all the way to the GP's and even to a world title ( assuming he can gate more consistently than he does currently ). He has natural talent on a bike in much the same way as Michael Lee had. Perhaps Michael Lee's success came too easily and too early but they are very different personalities.

No disrespect but Lee for me naturally was quite away in front of Robert by along way, Lambert though is a rider i like and hope he bulldozes himself into the bigtime he is certainly good anough.
  • Like 1

Massive disadvantage for Lambert is his gating ability. We seem to breed youngsters these days (apart from Tai) who simply cannot trap.

The 70's seemed to have endless British guys who were superb from the gate. Simmons, Jessup, Davis, Kilby, Lee, Carter, the list was endless.

Unless young Robert sharpens his technique, I can't see him becoming a GP rider.

Is Robert like Lee in some respect did Lynn lose a few supporters when he left? Bettsy who had a huge following was nearing the end so that time was a strange period for the club.

Hi Sidney, you OK.

A simple answer to your question is NO, Robert Lambert and Michael Lee were worlds apart. As good as Lambert is, he is a long way from the class of Lee. It was once said that Lee could put 1000 on the gate whenever he rode. Bettsy again was totally different in that he was the ultimate team man. Some one who rode his bike with such pantase you would have thought he was sitting in an arm chair. Never the worlds best, but he was Mr Consistent and had a big following.. Martin Rogers shipped Bettsy out to Reading, opening the door for Dave Jessup to come in and partner Lee giving the Stars team a strong one two. It was questionable whether it was a good move. I accept they finished 1st and 2nd in the 1980 World Championship, but it didn't work out as it should have done, Jessup, a renown loner, seldom contributed to team spirit, and, more often than not, arrived with only one bike and frequently borrowed from others. It wasn't long before supporter were accusing Rogers off bad decisions letting the skipper go like he did...

It has been said when Bettsy left, Lee lost that guiding influence and was easily led on that destructive path. Lee eventually left Lynn for Poole , but still retained his vast following at Lynn. At the first return when his new club, the place was heaving. The crowds had returned in their 1000's to see their prodigal son. The result that night was not important, all the fans had come to see was Michael Lee.

Unfortunately, that night, the Ref was the shameful Mr John Eglese, who took an obvious vendetta against Lee to a new level.. He alone was the reason that Michael was banned from that meeting, and subsequently banned for further five years, later reduced to one. I cant speak badly enough of this referee for the damage he did to the sport.. That night he deprived 1000's who had come and paid good money to see Lee ride. Of them, it been estimated as many as half of those Lee fans never went to speedway again.

That night, John Eglese ended the speedway career of a great rider, and also killed the interest of a lot of fans....

• Like 6

Hi Sidney, you OK.

A simple answer to your question is NO, Robert Lambert and Michael Lee were worlds apart. As good as Lambert is, he is a long way from the class of Lee. It was once said that Lee could put 1000 on the gate whenever he rode. Bettsy again was totally different in that he was the ultimate team man. Some one who rode his bike with such pantase you would have thought he was sitting in an arm chair. Never the worlds best, but he was Mr Consistent and had a big following.. Martin Rogers shipped Bettsy out to Reading, opening the door for Dave Jessup to come in and partner Lee giving the Stars team a strong one two. It was questionable whether it was a good move. I accept they finished 1st and 2nd in the 1980 World Championship, but it didn't work out as it should have done, Jessup, a renown loner, seldom contributed to team spirit, and, more often than not, arrived with only one bike and frequently borrowed from others. It wasn't long before supporter were accusing Rogers off bad decisions letting the skipper go like he did...

It has been said when Bettsy left, Lee lost that guiding influence and was easily led on that destructive path. Lee eventually left Lynn for Poole , but still retained his vast following at Lynn. At the first return when his new club, the place was heaving. The crowds had returned in their 1000's to see their prodigal son. The result that night was not important, all the fans had come to see was Michael Lee.

Unfortunately, that night, the Ref was the shameful Mr John Eglese, who took an obvious vendetta against Lee to a new level.. He alone was the reason that Michael was banned from that meeting, and subsequently banned for further five years, later reduced to one. I cant speak badly enough of this referee for the damage he did to the sport.. That night he deprived 1000's who had come and paid good money to see Lee ride. Of them, it been estimated as many as half of those Lee fans never went to speedway again.

That night, John Eglese ended the speedway career of a great rider, and also killed the interest of a lot of fans....

Such a shame i was gutted went to Coventry for the British Final thinking his appeal was a formality that he could still take his place but they still only reduced it from five years to one year. Look Michael had alot to answer for but he was generally good for the sport polite good with the supporters and at his best was a superstar.Bettsy was a great guidance for him down to earth understood how it was to be young once and Betts,Lee, Tiddler were a great team all those three high up in amongst my favourite ever riders.
  • Like 3

Well done to Chris Holder - finishing 4th in the German SGP. Oops - wrong thread :wink:

Shoots him up the table to the dizzy heights of 10th. Unlikely to finish in the top 8.

Such a shame i was gutted went to Coventry for the British Final thinking his appeal was a formality that he could still take his place but they still only reduced it from five years to one year. Look Michael had alot to answer for but he was generally good for the sport polite good with the supporters and at his best was a superstar.Bettsy was a great guidance for him down to earth understood how it was to be young once and Betts,Lee, Tiddler were a great team all those three high up in amongst my favourite ever riders.

That day at Coventry, I took a bus load of Lynn fans to the British Final, as you say it was thought to be a mere formality, The 5 yr ban was a joke and the appeal would be overturned. allowing Lee to compete that evening. This was supposed to be an appeal hearing against the original fictitious offence, but nothing is ever straight forward to the BSPA/SCB. Yes, the appeal was upheld and dismissed, but they then concocted a new offence and banned him for a year instead... They were always going to ban him, no matter what's depths they had to dig. Again they had taken the fans for a ride. Total contempt as ever... Why did they use his name in advertising the event when they knew he wouldn't be there.......

Of them 26 people on that bus that day, I am the only one who still goes and support the sport. and you wonder why the fans don't come anymore....

Remember Philip Rising saying in the SS, they didn't use a stick to smack him, they used a gun instead....

Edited by GRW123
  • Like 3

That day at Coventry, I took a bus load of Lynn fans to the British Final, as you say it was thought to be a mere formality, The 5 yr ban was a joke and the appeal would be overturned. allowing Lee to compete that evening. This was supposed to be an appeal hearing against the original fictitious offence, but nothing is ever straight forward to the BSPA. Yes, the appeal was upheld and dismissed, but they then concocted a new offence and banned him for a year instead... They were always going to ban him, no matter what's depths they had to dig. Again they had taken the fans for a ride. Total contempt as ever... Why did they use his name in advertising the event when they knew he wouldn't be there.......

Of them 26 people on that bus that day, I am the only one who still goes and support the sport. and you wonder why the fans don't come anymore....

It was a dark day for the sport that day his career was finished, mentally he never recovered his comebacks were never that serious and to be honest seeing him ride then was pretty depressing . Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Shoots him up the table to the dizzy heights of 10th. Unlikely to finish in the top 8.

But with the might of Monster Joe behind him he will get a wild card either way. It was good to see that the "racer" is alive in well inside Chris Holder and that is what we expected when he signed for KL Stars. Made a mockery of his own criticism of poor track conditions though, especially his first ride in the extreme wet conditions. Hmmm.

I originally intended to post this here re this Weds match - It's the "Hey, I am THE Boss " Buster show. Like Nero fiddling while Rome burns. History will not treat him kindly for his era of control of the BSPA which seems to have brought nothing positive to the sport. Those with the D/H Rye House rain off ticket should get in free ( as is legally binding I am assured ) but my guess is it will be Buster's favourite generous offer of a fiver off.

It's now been tweeted about the offers for Weds, season ticket holders are getting in for free and given VIP treatment.

Those who have tickets from the Rye House d/h rain off get £8 off their entrance and those with the Poole Wolves d/h tickets will get a fiver off.

It's now been tweeted about the offers for Weds, season ticket holders are getting in for free and given VIP treatment.

Those who have tickets from the Rye House d/h rain off get £8 off their entrance and those with the Poole Wolves d/h tickets will get a fiver off.

Pleased to see that eventually it has been confirmed that there is at least a partial refund on offer to those who attended either D/H. Also happy to see that it is not the infamous fiver for those who lost out on the Rye House match. Lets hope that Buster's smile on the website means that he will go on considering fans throughout 2018 and beyond , or even putting them first and making sure they do not feel like mushrooms ever again.

It was a dark day for the sport that day his career was finished, mentally he never recovered his comebacks were never that serious and to be honest seeing him ride then was pretty depressing .

I remember when he turned up at Lynn's practice day just before his comeback with his old leathers stuffed in a carrier bag.Was sad.I also remember his first race back at Saddlebow Road.Big crowd..He had the trapper that was Todd Whiltshire in his first race,who was going very well..I remember Lee trapped him and won the race by half a straight.

He was still very fast,but only if he gated.Did'nt mix it like in the good old days :cry:

Edited by Bald Bloke

Despite all of Lee's demon's, I still count myself fortunate to have seen the guy ride in his early days. Yes Terry Betts was Mr Lynn Speedway, maybe with better kit he could have gone even further, but Lee was the bums on seats star attraction. I always maintain the guy robbed me, robbed me of many years of enjoyment watching him. Still feel privileged to have seen him in his pomp. Never seen anything that good, at that age since.

• Like 9