British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

How different have things  become with the GP era! Riders now having a whole entourage of helpers, all needing to be paid for their time and services. And I'm sure it is not confined to those who happen to be in the "current" 15 GP-ers, either. So these riders are expecting to have the same or very similar set-ups for league racing as well. Maybe they can in Poland.

It's like inviting somebody to dinner and they want to bring along half their street as well.

There is no way that BT will get their 7 GP riders

10 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

If you think the higher standard premier league is worth £10 why do the championship clubs charge £15-17?

Because now the gap is closer than it has ever been, unless clubs move up in the next few years one big league has to happen.

16 minutes ago, Hamish McRaker said:

How different have things  become with the GP era! Riders now having a whole entourage of helpers, all needing to be paid for their time and services.

Do they?

At GPs most riders have two or three mechanics. At league meetings I can't remember seeing a rider at Swindon with more than two other people in their pit area, unless they have guests, who are indirectly paying for the experience.

Who are these riders with "a whole entourage of helpers"?

15 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Because now the gap is closer than it has ever been, unless clubs move up in the next few years one big league has to happen.

So it stands to reason that Premiership Clubs should be able to charge at least the same as Championship Clubs? I'm not saying that they both aren't overpriced, but the comments of reducing entry to £10 due to weakening league doesn't stack up when you take a look at the strength of the league below and their gate prices.

27 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

If you think the higher standard premier league is worth £10 why do the championship clubs charge £15-17?

Championship clubs charge too much as well - the cut backs in team strength in the Premiership should mean a cut in admission prices but I bet it doesn’t- it’s a £10 sport at best and just maybe if it was £10 it might encourage new fans and old fans to return just maybe 

Set admission prices for every club would be good but i think it would kill some club .

12 minutes ago, Reliant Robin said:

So it stands to reason that Premiership Clubs should be able to charge at least the same as Championship Clubs? I'm not saying that they both aren't overpriced, but the comments of reducing entry to £10 due to weakening league doesn't stack up when you take a look at the strength of the league below and their gate prices.

I think Robin the Premiership should be 12 pound and the Championship 10 pound. now that the Sky money is not there ( higher than BT ? ) can clubs afford to do those 10 pound offers now.??

You couldnt charge £10 fornl and break even. £10 is a nonesense. 

2 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

You couldnt charge £10 fornl and break even. £10 is a nonesense. 

I think we all know clubs would go bust if they did, however it does not stop people having the view that what is on offer should only cost £10 to watch.

Luckily for clubs it seems their loyal fans are happy to pay whatever they wish to charge, however I do feel people would attend more matches and new fans could be attracted if admission was reduced. I think £12 is about right including a free digital download of the meeting programme through a BSPA app (if not attending then the download is available for £1).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BT have offered a one-year deal (don't know the details) but presume the ball is now in the court of the Premiership tracks.

Yes aware of that philip, however my guess is the BSPA are going to say thanks but no thanks, hence why Thorsell was picked over Lindgren... I assume the cheaper option 

Clubs have been losing money and seem at be last to be realising that they have to live within their means if they are going to survive. They are reducing their costs but to suggest they could reduce admission to £10 shows how unrealistic some fans are. To survive and hopefully, make a profit, admission charges will have to stay as they are. Particularly, with the loss of the TV revenue.

The rider costs of a PL team is still going to be considerably more than that of a CL team. Many riders may operate in both leagues but a PL team has more of the better, more expensive riders because they are building to a significantly higher team building figure.

Manchester isn't one of the more affluent areas of the country and yet more fans pay £20 to sit in the Grandstand than £17 to stand on the south side. If admission costs and value for money we such an issue I would expect the reverse to be true.

35 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Yes aware of that philip, however my guess is the BSPA are going to say thanks but no thanks, hence why Thorsell was picked over Lindgren... I assume the cheaper option 

Would be very stupid to turn down a 1 year deal down, even if the money is poor. Except offer then immediately start making plans for 2019 and other options, an internal channel from BSPA or speak to other broadcasters. Get the rules sorted early and get out there and sell the product, don't get to next November and do nothing and be in the same boat which is the norm with people running UK speedway. Things don't just fall into your lap you have to go and work for it!

Get all clubs to put on a real show come to agreement for both sides where stadiums are packed, make the product look good and then use that to sell to other broadcasters. Use BT and then somehow get a bidding war if you can get a second company interested in the product. 

Edited by Pirates Of Poole
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MattK said:

Do they?

At GPs most riders have two or three mechanics. At league meetings I can't remember seeing a rider at Swindon with more than two other people in their pit area, unless they have guests, who are indirectly paying for the experience.

Who are these riders with "a whole entourage of helpers"?

Well they may not all actually be there in person

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

BT have offered a one-year deal (don't know the details) but presume the ball is now in the court of the Premiership tracks.

Is this a newer offer? We know about one offer made this winter already. 

• Regarding it being a £10 sport, I agree it is IF there is no added entertainment. What clubs need to realise is they can provide added extra entertainment at little or no extra cost. It might involve some effort and use of brain cells (assuming they are available :wink:) but fans would be more willing to attend if they weren't expected to stand on terraces for what seems like hours between 15 races of one minute duration.
  • there have been numerous suggestions for extra entertainment muted on this forum, some of them very good. Such a shame few promoters read them:(
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1