British Speedway Forum
Bald Bloke

Kings Lynn 2018..

Despite all of Lee's demon's, I still count myself fortunate to have seen the guy ride in his early days. Yes Terry Betts was Mr Lynn Speedway, maybe with better kit he could have gone even further, but Lee was the bums on seats star attraction. I always maintain the guy robbed me, robbed me of many years of enjoyment watching him. Still feel privileged to have seen him in his pomp. Never seen anything that good, at that age since.

Feel exactly the same his career was not prolonged 75/83 but i feel lucky that i see a fair bit of him and at his best was the real deal.I suppose Gollob and Ward are the only riders since that have excited me like that also Crump jnr, and Adams for different reasons.

I remember when he turned up at Lynn's practice day just before his comeback with his old leathers stuffed in a carrier bag.Was sad.I also remember his first race back at Saddlebow Road.Big crowd..He had the trapper that was Todd Whiltshire in his first race,who was going very well..I remember Lee trapped him and won the race by half a straight.

He was still very fast,but only if he gated.Did'nt mix it like in the good old days :cry:

A memory i have was taking my wife to the Abbey in his comeback 85??? and Michael turning up late 7 oclock ish bag slumped over his shoulder he scored three points was horrible seeing that.As you said a few glimpses of his old magic he beat Gundersen/Carter easily at Saddlebow and in 85 without the EFS could of won the Supporters trophy.

Feel exactly the same his career was not prolonged 75/83 but i feel lucky that i see a fair bit of him and at his best was the real deal.I suppose Gollob and Ward are the only riders since that have excited me like that also Crump jnr, and Adams for different reasons.

A memory i have was taking my wife to the Abbey in his comeback 85??? and Michael turning up late 7 oclock ish bag slumped over his shoulder he scored three points was horrible seeing that.As you said a few glimpses of his old magic he beat Gundersen/Carter easily at Saddlebow and in 85 without the EFS could of won the Supporters trophy.

Sidney, I have many memories, and still feel exceptionally privileged to have them and for knowing Michael like I did,

When he rose to the top of the tree, you would have thought the BSPA would have bent over backward to assist him, helping to give the sport the promotion it dearly needed. But they did everything in their power to obstruct him. They publically crucified him at every opportunity.

One, of many instances that spring to mind, was when his Dad Andy had purchased the Elsworth Moto-Park and was running its first meeting. Michael in support had cancelled racing in Europe that Sunday to be there supporting his father. Michael at that time was holder of the Golden Helmut. His next month's competitor was to be Gordon Kennett.

When the dates were announced, Michael explained he was not able to ride at Eastbourne on the Sunday because of this prior arrangement with his dad. The BSPA ignored Lee's reasoning and ordered him to ride saying 'as you are not riding at a scheduled meeting, you will race on them dates'. Michael replied he would not race regardless of BSPA threats...

In the home leg, on the Saturday, Michael beat Kennett 2-0, Standing beside Michael in the pits, I witnessed Kennett coming up to Michael to congratulate him, and saying 'see you tomorrow'.. Michael then explained he would not be there for reason already given and handed over the Golden Helmut for Kennett to take home and have it on display tomorrow. He would then be declared as the new Holder...

True to his word Michael was at Elsworth that day, He actually said to me there, ' I bet my name is rubbished at Eastbourne today'. Needless to say he got a right pillaring in the press about letting the fans down. He was subsequently fined and striped of the title. but the annoying fact was, in this case he was the innocent party, but only a few fans knew that.... It was little wonder he lost all respect for the BSPA....

• Like 3

Sidney, I have many memories, and still feel exceptionally privileged to have them and for knowing Michael like I did,

When he rose to the top of the tree, you would have thought the BSPA would have bent over backward to assist him, helping to give the sport the promotion it dearly needed. But they did everything in their power to obstruct him. They publically crucified him at every opportunity.

One, of many instances that spring to mind, was when his Dad Andy had purchased the Elsworth Moto-Park and was running its first meeting. Michael in support had cancelled racing in Europe that Sunday to be there supporting his father. Michael at that time was holder of the Golden Helmut. His next month's competitor was to be Gordon Kennett.

When the dates were announced, Michael explained he was not able to ride at Eastbourne on the Sunday because of this prior arrangement with his dad. The BSPA ignored Lee's reasoning and ordered him to ride saying 'as you are not riding at a scheduled meeting, you will race on them dates'. Michael replied he would not race regardless of BSPA threats...

In the home leg, on the Saturday, Michael beat Kennett 2-0, Standing beside Michael in the pits, I witnessed Kennett coming up to Michael to congratulate him, and saying 'see you tomorrow'.. Michael then explained he would not be there for reason already given and handed over the Golden Helmut for Kennett to take home and have it on display tomorrow. He would then be declared as the new Holder...

True to his word Michael was at Elsworth that day, He actually said to me there, ' I bet my name is rubbished at Eastbourne today'. Needless to say he got a right pillaring in the press about letting the fans down. He was subsequently fined and striped of the title. but the annoying fact was, in this case he was the innocent party, but only a few fans knew that.... It was little wonder he lost all respect for the BSPA....

Nothing has really changed since then a shambles to be honest, going back to the ban endless riders people who held total respect within the sport Briggo being one pleaded with them to overturn the ban.Did they listen NO also there was a huge amount of support from the general public and the BSPA knew that but still stuck two fingers up to all of us and did as they pleased.I am sure now that would never be aloud to happen in law and being aloud to get away with it since that day it still leaves a bitter taste.
  • Like 1

If Mr Chapman did pull the plug i for one wont blame him, waste of time can fill the facility with other sports,Will he be planning another year as Chairman hope so these moaners on here totally forget if it was not for him Belvue would not be running [Well Mr Chapman and Rob Godfrey] Leicester would be shut if not for Mr Chapman.I like his views that Riders are only part of the show, they choose to ride the sport as many brave men have done, and will continue. Someone has to give it a place on which to perform there chosen sport.You are lucky to have a very good stadium but of course you dont care what it costs in money and effort to run a stadium of that size,all you want to do is knock the guy because his decisions are not to your liking [if you ever even go !!]

Rock on Mr Chapman Job done for another year One big league next year maybe with better choice of teams and not same old 8.Sure you and Managment team will make right choice,I bet Mr Chapman has a trick up his sleeve for 2018 Remember that !!

Thank You Cheryl ;)

If Mr Chapman did pull the plug i for one wont blame him, waste of time can fill the facility with other sports,Will he be planning another year as Chairman hope so these moaners on here totally forget if it was not for him Belvue would not be running [Well Mr Chapman and Rob Godfrey] Leicester would be shut if not for Mr Chapman.I like his views that Riders are only part of the show, they choose to ride the sport as many brave men have done, and will continue. Someone has to give it a place on which to perform there chosen sport.You are lucky to have a very good stadium but of course you dont care what it costs in money and effort to run a stadium of that size,all you want to do is knock the guy because his decisions are not to your liking [if you ever even go !!]

Rock on Mr Chapman Job done for another year One big league next year maybe with better choice of teams and not same old 8.Sure you and Managment team will make right choice,I bet Mr Chapman has a trick up his sleeve for 2018 Remember that !!

How much of the 10% do you get? Lol

Other sports to consider, dog fighting, chasing the pig or time trial - removing the wheels from the Fiesta.

Whilst you're on, I'm getting short of clothes pegs and heather wrapped in foil at the stem, can you send me some more?

Edited by ouch

Massive disadvantage for Lambert is his gating ability. We seem to breed youngsters these days (apart from Tai) who simply cannot trap.

The 70's seemed to have endless British guys who were superb from the gate. Simmons, Jessup, Davis, Kilby, Lee, Carter, the list was endless.

Unless young Robert sharpens his technique, I can't see him becoming a GP rider.

Carter did plenty of work from the back. Same with Lee. Not bad gaters but not in the same league as gundersen or Nielsen from the tapes.

I'd say Brits have often been comparatively poor gaters: the Collins brothers, Morton, Andy Smith etc.

think you need to ask a Belle Vue fan about there situation it's not so black and white as the picture you paint

Fairly sure NKI - and other riders - will seriously consider giving Sweden a miss especially after not getting paid again!!!

Then its just a question of which Premiership club will sign him?! ;-)

Where did you get this info from. In my experience Swedes pay 7 days and 3x as much plus travel

Who has any idea what the annoucement Buster will make tonight.

Bearing in mind there has been no BSPA meeting about changes to format and organisation for next year, any announcement has to comply with current standings.

So that rules out going to a single league, or dropping down a division.

My wish would be that Buster welcomes his son back on board, I feel he is the only person capable of working alongside Buster to make Kings Lynn Speedway work, .

But my guess it will be NKI will be back next year........ :t::drink::wink: We sure do need a proper No1.

Bearing in mind there has been no BSPA meeting about changes to format and organisation for next year, any announcement has to comply with current standings.

My wish would be that Buster welcomes his son back on board, I feel he is the only person capable of working alongside Buster to make Kings Lynn Speedway work, .

But my guess it will be NKI will be back next year........ :t::drink::wink: We sure do need a proper No1.

I want it to be something along those lines but I cannot see either of these predictions being correct. It would need such a enormous about face for Jonathan to return and I don't think that NKI will ride in the UK again. My best most likely wish list is for Robert Lambert to agree to 2018 and for Rob Lyon to be fully involved once more in the running of KLS. You are right GRW123 that nothing structural can be revealed so I suspect that it is unlikely to be a Huge Surprise. Fingers crossed.

Jorgensen signed on full transfer that's my prediction

It could be a ploy to get ppl through the door.

Personally I think it will be the signing of Jorgensen for next year.

• Like 2

GRW ref Aces view I am one ! AND IT IS AS BLACK AND WHITE If not for efforts of BSPA Chairman and Management committee BV would be toast Refer to Sir Richard leese Try reading instead of moaning pal

Ref Announcement wait and see that would be better than second guessing bulls droppings

Please post a link for us to read re Sir Richard Leese, otherwise stop posting bulls droppings.

Where's my heather?