British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ghostwalker

Stockholm Gp 2017

There is no way you would learn how to operate a dirtometer in just a week. Other than that I'm all in favour, I'm guessing your pronunciation would be a little bit Jan Molby, I could live with that.

Yep, as Ghostie says, bring it on!

Surely his pronunciation would be a little bit Sami Hyppia?

U give a weeks time and I could fool you with my pronounciation + I've been listening to Nigel and Kelvin since 2002 so I know enough terms and phrases. I've done it (commentator on tv) in Finnish so why wouldnt I try it in English! :lol:

If you ever get the chance please do not use all of those phrases ( some of which we really dislike) gathered from Nigel & Kelvin. Be yourself and use your own racing phrases. I could join as your commentating partner quite happily. If not me then Dave Goddard gets my Thumbs Up.

4th year on the Spin in Stockholm, never really served up any classics but there were a handful of superb races Saturday, Emil/PK and the final in particular. Crowd looked up on last year but ironically the atmosphere very flat. Odd seeing as Freddie and Anton came out and scored well in the opening rounds of heats.

That aside seemed like the guys were struggling with the track and it was a shame from a neutrals meeting that Doyle pulled so far ahead.

Be sad to loose this GP tho, beautiful city, lovely stadium.

Edited by RPNYC

Surely his pronunciation would be a little bit Sami Hyppia?

Possibly but I've never heard Sami speak, Molby works well for me.. I expect all these Scandi types sound similar anyway..

Just think Kildemands all action never give up style brings something to the events, Pedersen was also known to go down easily as to influence a refs decision or to try to give himself a second bite of the cherry, i can see some resemblance tbh and the series needs that panto villain.

Trouble is, they're not just panto villains, racing speedway isn't panto land, cheating/deliberately knocking someone off affects their lives and careers!

Just got back from Stockholm, got to say I was very disappointed with the turn out at the Friends Arena, hardly any Polish fans there, not many brits either, the Stadium was very barely half full, the full top tier was not used, and if the rumours about Stockholm are true about it not been on the venue's list for 2018 are true, I can believe that, mind you also have to say that Stockholm is not the cheapest place to go to either, £7 a pint, nearly went teetotal for the weekend when I got charged that, the GP itself did not live up to the expectations of myself, so am really expecting the GP to be axed in 2018 in Stockholm for somewhere more economical, travel to the stadium is more than easy, Solna station is just five minutes walk away, and the shopping centre next door is more than inviting, plenty of shops and bars, but the prices are again quite severe.

Well done Matty Zagar, but thought Chris Holder was a little bit harshly done by, the incident with Kildemand happened right in front of me, thought it was a little bit even to be honest, not seen the video yet, will watch it Monday, but as for the title, its now Doyle's to lose, but that said Woffy is now out of the title run in.

Bumped into Kelvin and Nigel in Stockholm airport on Sunday morning, around 8am, I think you will have to go some to find anyone better at presenting their views, Kelvin even had a little part to play in the programme notes on each rider, do rate him to be honest, if you have anyone in mind who can do a better job than him I would love to know who that is.

The crowd this year was I am told up on the previous year, and close to the break even figure. The Friends Arena team have to be applauded by realising that high ticket costs are not the answer. There were standing tickets on the 3rd / 4th bends this year at 99Kr, so around £10 - cheaper than league matches in the UK, and I believe they sold around 1000 of those. The stadium itself is ideally situated from a travel perspective, being 35 minutes from Arlanda airport by train, and 15 minutes from Stockholm city centre. Hotels in the area are quite good, There is a good quality hotel attached to the stadium which is reasonably priced given the location & standard (about 2/3 the cost of similar hotels in Cardiff). Around 15 - 20 minutes walk away are 3 other hotels that are all competitively priced (Read very cheap compared to Cardiff) right by the bus stop for the airport buses that server both Arlanda and Stockholm City.

Some of the restaurants in the area are a little expensive, but again not that different than Cardiff for similar quality. Drinks tended to be a little on the expensive side though. The actual stadium itself is superb, and the seating is more spacious and comfortable than Cardiff I feel. It was good to have a sound system where you could actually hear what the announcer was saying clearly, and the choice of music I thought was very good - Particularly like the 'Where Eagles Dare' them for the final.

So why doesn't Stockholm work in the same way that Cardiff does in terms of gathering a crowd ? It really does seem to have everything going for it, Its a really nice stadium, it has a roof, the location is nigh on perfect. The city of Stockholm is an incredibly pretty place, and worth a visit at any time. Personally, I don't think that BSI do Stockholm any favours at all with Stockholm coming only 6 weeks after Malilla. Can you imagine the uproar here if we had 2 SGP here, one in Cardiff and one say at the NSS but that close together ? That makes it pretty expensive to go to both meetings if you were ' a local', even with the cheap tickets on offer. I for one hope that Stockholm is on the Calendar in years to come,

• Like 2

Agree with pretty much all of that post. The only thing I would say is that no "Star" Swede has a dramatic effect on Crowd size. If T Rik was still riding Id imagine they could pull in closer to 30k. Maybe if Freddie had won the last round or closed the gap on Doyle in Teterow it may of had a positive effect but we will never know.

Think it would be a terrible shame to let Friends Arena just go from the GP Calendar. I cant see there being any point in having 2 Swedish rounds if its regular stadiums.

I think Friends is too big (50k capacity) and that Tele 2 arena (roughly 50-60% capacity)

could have been a better place to start and build it from there.

Tele 2 / Globen area have even better public transport and also have better parking facilities.

There is no way you would learn how to operate a dirtometer in just a week. Other than that I'm all in favour, I'm guessing your pronunciation would be a little bit Jan Molby, I could live with that.

Yep, as Ghostie says, bring it on!

i can vouch for f-s-p his accent free English is better than Nig or kelvin. Init?