Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mudflaps

Peterborough Panthers V Newcastle Diamonds (sgb Championship) 30/08/2017

RIP Peterborough Panthers

I understand that what was done was wrong, but was it really bad enough to potentially close a club

It shouldn't be but that's the potential knock on of an ill judged decision. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Track appeared to be rough but ridable prior to grading in fact S.Worral stated in his interview that he wished certain speedway riders would just get on with it. Then we had the blading to which the track became smooth and dusty with no near accidents or anything then it was just called off. I am discusted and would fully expect to be able to re-use my ticket as that was a waste of an evening and a waste of money for me, my son and everyone else. Like Peterborough don't have enough problems as it just is without this debacle that I've witnessed tonight.

• Like 2

Schlein refused to ride in the rerun in heat 4 & missed the two minutes on purpose - I hope he gets punished like Holder did.

Track was rubbish, far too much material on the track in places and very patchy. It wasn't helped by a tractor driver who clearly didn't have a clue. It was smoother & very slick after they bladed it but then cocked it up with more shambolic watering/grading after 10 and by that time riders, officials & fans had all had enough.

I didnt go tonight and dont intend on going back again this season, tonight might well be the final straw for the hardy few that did brave it tonight as well!

And if you want to see what a mess British Speedway is ,then see this link, https://twitter.com/fierybird9/status/902988135612772352 Perfectly sums up British Speedway!

Saw this posted. Then we wonder why newbies (and even oldies) 'don't get it'

:blink:.........................................This is what the link said for those who don't do Twitter.

DIgO6xCXcAEQvEJ.jpg

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 8

I am really confused as I still am unaware why it was called off no reason given on the PA other than it's off Why ? I expect to use my ticket on Sunday as I feel mugged off by what I've witnessed tonight surely my ticket can be used again ?

• Like 1

This was on a par with the balls up at Kings Lynn..They are lucky enough that 600 or so turned up after the downer of the last month and I then to put them through that...well..I could not believe what I was witnessing and the club should be embarrassed..as should Rory Schlein who I witnessed in the pits being a complete pr###. A re-entry with the ticket is the least the club should offer.

Edited by Lukas
  • Like 2

Well, back from another absolutely shambolic night for British Speedway. Another shot to the groin. The feet, ankles and thighs were shot off years ago!

Clueless officials, and the dreadful attitude of certain, not all, riders will drive this sport into oblivion.

We've all seen meetings completed on far worse tracks than this.

Of the few hundred in attendance, that will probably ensure that another 200 never attend again, so even if Peterborough do survive their punishment they will feel it in the pocket for the rest of the season.

With a couple of other Championship clubs also on the brink, the whole sport is in danger of falling over the edge of the cliff this winter.

• Like 1

Made a very rare trip to Peterborough this evening, only 2nd visit of the year, used to be a bit of a regular. I knew the "teams" looked a bit of a joke but that's Speedway in 2017, the quality of riders on view though tempted me along.

What a mistake! In all of my years attending Speedway (since 1977) this is the lamest abandonment I have EVER seen. The track was not the best it's ever been but if riders don't want to ride or can't ride the track the way it was tonight they really ought to question whether they should be Speedway riders at all.

Yes the track did look a tiny bit tricky before the blade came out. After it had been bladed though it didn't look to be a problem at all, no riders were getting into difficulty, no riders fell or even looked like they were going to, no rearing, no locking up, nothing!

The promoter addressed the crowd stating that the track had been a problem because it hadn't been used for 5 and a half week... I've heard a lot of excuses in my 40 years of Speedway but even this was a new one!

As somebody said earlier the ref should have not called this one off there was absolutely nothing wrong with the track, she should have forced the teams to ride and anybody that didn't should have faced the consequences.

I normally have a bit of time for Rory Schlein but if what has been said about him on here tonight is true and judging by all the pointing at the first bend he was doing before not taking his last ride, it was... then the man is a disgrace and should retire and go and work 9 to 5 for a living.

That's me pretty much done with Speedway in the UK until it sorts its house out

• Like 3

If this was NL match they probably would not have even graded the track,the riders would just have got on with it.Its only when you think you are superstar and earning big money that speedway becomes a dangerous sport.There are a lot of riders that need to find a 9-5 job.Every supporter has witnessed riders standing about complaining at least once a season at their track and wondered why they bother turning up.Its a shambles nowadays, the refs are scared to overrule the riders in case they end up in court.

• Like 2

It's ok you get £5 off your next meeting😬.. agree with the above, Schlein instigated it all and appeared to be the ringleader. Why did we book him anyway?..I can't remember him not moaning about our track!!? Even after the Fours which was a superb spectacle.

• Like 1

Quote from a rider:

she (t he referee) said she'd come down and when she dug her foot in and it broke up the top surface down about 3 inches she realised, it was literally breaking up in ruts and ridges so the bikes were just taking off in any direction and on a fast track like that...!

Promoters need to learn they have to prepare a raceable track.

Also said that Bomber was struggling to ride on it and that he'd (the rider I'm speaking to) never been so scared riding a track where he didn't know how his bike was going to react going into the bends!

• Like 1

This was on a par with the balls up at Kings Lynn..They are lucky enough that 600 or so turned up after the downer of the last month and I then to put them through that...well..I could not believe what I was witnessing and the club should be embarrassed..as should Rory Schlein who I witnessed in the pits being a complete pr###. A re-entry with the ticket is the least the club should offer.

Very different in one sense to King's Lynn : that wasn't abandoned by the referee.

Rory Schlein is undoubtedly a trouble maker in these circumstances (and I'd agree that he should consider whether he should continue to be a speedway rider) but its difficult to suggest that he didn't have a very real case here. I have absolutely no reason to question Pirate Nick's integrity and would therefore accept his comments without any doubts at all, and I can't believe that Barbara Horley would call a meeting off if the riders (or even a majority of them) wanted to continue.

Nick is also right about preparing a decent track surface because even if this meeting had continued to the end it would surely have been ruined as a spectacle by riders considering their safety rather than beating the opposition.

In this case, it appears to me that fingers should be very much pointed at Peterborough speedway rather than the referee or any particular rider and if they are in difficulties they are the masters of their own downfall.

• Like 1

Keep your admission tickets from last night. £5 off any of the remaining home matches if you can show last night's admission ticket.