British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mudflaps

Peterborough Panthers V Newcastle Diamonds (sgb Championship) 30/08/2017

I still don't see how that track was unsafe..Bomber didn't look unsafe when he was tearing round the outside. Maybe some of the (Aussie) riders should start wearing Pink boots like premiership footballers. Sad news about Rathbone being suspended..another winter of discontent. All because of another Aussie twerp..cheers Jack👍.

• Like 5

Schlein may have grumbled but he still rode (& won his race!).

He didn't ride in heat 4, he should get punished like Chris Holder did. Edited by Noodles
  • Like 1

Riders did an awfully good job of disguising their bikes taking off then, as can only recall Bacon in heat 4 getting into serious bother.

Was thinking of Ipswich on Saturday and Boro again on Sunday, but I'll certainly never risk travelling so far to see Rory Schlein ride again. Simply isn't worth the risk.

There's certainly a business opportunity for Steve Worrall if he needs any extra cash. He could hire a classroom and try and teach some of his colleagues how to be classy both on and off the bike.

I thought the same. I have seen many tracks that were clearly difficult to ride over the 40 odd years of going to speedway but the track last night didn't appear from the racing to be that bad. As you say only Tom Bacon got into any difficulties at all the others seemed to be in control at all times.

Of course I am not a rider so cant experience what they were but Steve Worrall seemed clear, speedway riders need to learn throttle control

• Like 3

Admittedly fans are not experts on track, but the sport is dirt track racing and it is bewildering nowadays all the reasons that riders come up with regarding track conditions ,we have seen them all over a number of years,rough ,smooth,dusty,wet,rain.There is a new condition now,PERFECT. In all other types of Bikesport and Motersport the competitors take the conditions into consideration and perform according to said conditions.Thats the problem with Speedway they want to go home mainly because they know the fixture will be re-run so no loss of income.Perhaps if results were awarded if the did not want to ride and they got a nominal payment for turning up attitudes would change or alternatively a 9-5 job and stop wasting fans time.

• Like 3

Stating that the track was poor because it hadn't been ridden on for 5 weeks, whose fault is that. Speedway used to be and should be a weekly event at all tracks where possible, not nothing for weeks on end then 3 or 4 meetings in a few days. Also heard from a reliable source that Peterborough wanted an excessive amount of money to release Bomber to Rye House last night. If true, totally disgusting way to promote. I thought when Holder was let free to ride for Torun something should have been done about it. Totally discredited the sport and the loyal fans. Peterborough management might just end up getting what they deserve, but it's the fans who always lose out.

Why in heavens name should Peterborough release Bomber to ride for Rye when they had priority. Seems a weird suggestion anyway as they are being slated for doing the self same thing with Holder.

• Like 4

wealdstone, on 31 Aug 2017 - 2:58 PM, said:

Why in heavens name should Peterborough release Bomber to ride for Rye when they had priority. Seems a weird suggestion anyway as they are being slated for doing the self same thing with Holder.

Because your meeting was a meaningless one, whereas Rye's was far more important. Rye and Bomber did you a favour when he joined you, so you could have returned that favour. Quite rightly, Peterborough are being slated for selling out to a foreign team for plenty of money and would have been slated again but Rye refused their demands.

Because your meeting was a meaningless one, whereas Rye's was far more important. Rye and Bomber did you a favour when he joined you, so you could have returned that favour. Quite rightly, Peterborough are being slated for selling out to a foreign team for plenty of money and would have been slated again but Rye refused their demands.

Well I suppose you can believe that. Others may not

• Like 3

Made a very rare trip to Peterborough this evening, only 2nd visit of the year, used to be a bit of a regular. I knew the "teams" looked a bit of a joke but that's Speedway in 2017, the quality of riders on view though tempted me along.

What a mistake! In all of my years attending Speedway (since 1977) this is the lamest abandonment I have EVER seen. The track was not the best it's ever been but if riders don't want to ride or can't ride the track the way it was tonight they really ought to question whether they should be Speedway riders at all.

Yes the track did look a tiny bit tricky before the blade came out. After it had been bladed though it didn't look to be a problem at all, no riders were getting into difficulty, no riders fell or even looked like they were going to, no rearing, no locking up, nothing!

The promoter addressed the crowd stating that the track had been a problem because it hadn't been used for 5 and a half week... I've heard a lot of excuses in my 40 years of Speedway but even this was a new one!

As somebody said earlier the ref should have not called this one off there was absolutely nothing wrong with the track, she should have forced the teams to ride and anybody that didn't should have faced the consequences.

I normally have a bit of time for Rory Schlein but if what has been said about him on here tonight is true and judging by all the pointing at the first bend he was doing before not taking his last ride, it was... then the man is a disgrace and should retire and go and work 9 to 5 for a living.

That's me pretty much done with Speedway in the UK until it sorts its house out

That's a completely fair and accurate post IMO and I 100% believe had we (Panthers) booked any other rider than Schlein as guest tonight the meeting would have gone to its proper 15 Heat conclusion. Our other guest Ryan Douglas rode very well without the tantrums Schlein displayed - the bloke let himself down and the sport not to mention fans of both teams. Time to hang up your Kevlars Rory if you couldn't continue on that track - have seen far worse since before you were born sunshine.

• Like 5

explains why newcastle got a draw mind if the track was bad there use to riding such a track

Rory Schlein has rode Newcastle a few times this season and done well and never seen any comments about him moaning about it, so maybe it isn't as bad as you suggest ?

Edited by ruffdiamond
  • Like 1

I still don't see how that track was unsafe..Bomber didn't look unsafe when he was tearing round the outside. Maybe some of the (Aussie) riders should start wearing Pink boots like premiership footballers. Sad news about Rathbone being suspended..another winter of discontent. All because of another Aussie twerp..cheers Jack.

Yes, but he wasn't really making any attempt to pass anyone. Ther track was terrible and dangerous. It hadn't been touched since the "fours" until yesterday. all the ruts that were left over were just filled in with loose stuff. And it just cut up in places and there were holes everywhere when you looked closely at it. Douglas came very close to wiping out Kyle, as Kyle went around the outside of the first two bends in heat 10, as he straightened up in a rut. There was a trench like hole at 90% to the track halfway around bend 1. If you were leading you had half a chance of seeing where the holes were. If you were behind you had no chance because of the dust. All of the riders thought it was dangerous (After all if they don't race they don't make money). The only real passing was on bend 3/4 when the rider in front got into bother by lifting or straightening up unexpectedly. Right decision in my opinion even tho I'm not likely to get anything back.

Give the promotion a bit of credit (if the £5:00 offer off is correct), they are not obliged to give a refund/discount of any sort as the meeting went beyond heat 10.

So trying to read between the lines..the track was fine because Steve Worrall said so, and the ref called the meeting off after heat 10 solely on the advice and whinging of Rory schlien?? I find that hard to believe, but then again..it was barbara. As for the track not being ridden on for a few weeks, what happens in the off season??.

I'm sure last night's fiasco will soon be forgotten about, as calamity kings Lynn are going to try another double header tonight.🙈🙈🙈

Edited by baldyman
  • Like 2

So trying to read between the lines..the track was fine because Steve Worrall said so, and the ref called the meeting off after heat 10 solely on the advice and whinging of Rory schlien?? I find that hard to believe, but then again..it was barbara. As for the track not being ridden on for a few weeks, what happens in the off season??.

I'm sure last night's fiasco will soon be forgotten about, as calamity kings Lynn are going to try another double header tonight.

That's the beauty of 'British Speedway'...

You can guarantee another fiasco will come along the next day to out do the one previous...!!

In British Speedway you are only ridiculed for 24 hours before someone else kindly relieves you of that...

"You really couldnt make this 'Barry White' up" 2017 Title...😂😂😂

(I sometimes even think they must plan it this way)....😉

Edited by mikebv

Luckily for me all these calamities have finally put the last mail in the coffin for me, I'm finally set free, but it's great coming on here everyday confirming I made the right decision.