British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

1947 Belle Vue Duggan V Parker Golden. Helmet.

Was going through some of my scrapbook's and in 1947 at Belle Vue Vic Duggan beat Jack Parker 4.0 in four straight runs.Were four races run before or after the main event ? why four races strange anybody know be great to hear some details.

There is a very good thread already existing which might help.Debate and links etc

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=83701&hl=+duggan%20+golden%20+helmet

I would say Duggan beat Parker 2-0 at Harringay and then 2-0 at Belle Vue

Edited by iris123

There is a very good thread already existing which might help.Debate and links etc

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=83701&hl=+duggan%20+golden%20+helmet

I would say Duggan beat Parker 2-0 at Harringay and then 2-0 at Belle Vue

Thanks "iris" helped alot 😀 Duggan how can you rate him was so unlucky not his fault of course .I would say Farndon,Duggan still go down as speedway greats but did not get the chance to show it and later on Tommy Jansson joined them. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

Record speaks for itself Sid.Phenomenal season

Was going through some of my scrapbook's and in 1947 at Belle Vue Vic Duggan beat Jack Parker 4.0 in four straight runs.Were four races run before or after the main event ? why four races strange anybody know be great to hear some details.

The 'Golden Helmet' match race championship was very much a premier event. It was the feature at tracks where races took place - ALWAYS ahead of the team event. It was sponsored by the 'Sunday Pictorial' (now the 'Sunday Mirror') and the holder was paid £7 a week. The spending value of £7 in 1947 is calculated as £270 in today's terms.

After his success against Parker, as I recall Duggan was involved in a controversial defence against Bill Kitchen. That topic has been debated previously somewhere else in YEARS GONE BY.

Edited by Guest

. It was the feature at tracks where races took place -

Words of wisdom there.Doubt anyone could disagree!!!! :blink::blink::icon_smile_clown:

The answer Sidney the robin is that Vic Duggan defeated Jack Parker 2-0 in one leg of the championship - presumably on his home track at Harringay. He then defeated Parker 2-0 in the second clash at Parker's home track Belle Vue. This resulted in a 4-0 defeat for Parker and a victory by the same margin for Duggan.

BTW - I am not sure that the race sequence was first at Harringay, then Belle Vue. It might well have been the other way round.

Edited by Guest

The Harringay leg was on 11 July; the return, the following night at Belle Vue on the 12th.

• Like 1

Going through Jack Parker's golden helmet record he defended the title 22 times between 1931/51 ---- 21 times after the war the Helmet was known as Parker's Pension.