British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aces51

Premiership Riders Final, Belle Vue, 16 September, 2017

Agreed mate. Awesome since about heat 7. Not quite Peter Craven Memorial standard but still superb.

Not many, if any will surpass that meeting

Cheers BSPA, Workingtons lowest crowd of the season and a big home defeat, probably no Speedway at Workington next year.

back in the day - this was a meeting that had a massive prestige and remember going up to the old BelleVue and struggling to gain a decent vantage point to watch racing with worlds best at that time - the best being British riders Collins, Simmons, Carter , plus the Danes of Olsen/Nielsen and yanks of the calibre of Penhall and the Moran brothers - now treated to the likes of Auty and so many second rate riders in a pathetic attempt to keep the sport looking as though it knows what it is doing. British speedway hierarchy need to bow their heads in shame for the guys who put their lives on hold for 60 seconds each time they race for the fast buck they "earn"

yanks of Moran nor

• Like 2

back in the day - this was a meeting that had a massive prestige and remember going up to the old BelleVue and struggling to gain a decent vantage point to watch racing with worlds best at that time - the best being British riders Collins, Simmons, Carter , plus the Danes of Olsen/Nielsen and yanks of the calibre of Penhall and the Moran brothers - now treated to the likes of Auty and so many second rate riders in a pathetic attempt to keep the sport looking as though it knows what it is doing. British speedway hierarchy need to bow their heads in shame for the guys who put their lives on hold for 60 seconds each time they race for the fast buck they "earn"

yanks of Moran nor

And it will be ever thus, until a way is found to compete on financial terms with Poland. Until then "second rate" riders will be the norm.

And it will be ever thus, until a way is found to compete on financial terms with Poland. Until then "second rate" riders will be the norm.

Although many of the so called second rate riders are equally as enjoyable to watch as the so called top riders.

• Like 5

Cheers BSPA, Workingtons lowest crowd of the season and a big home defeat, probably no Speedway at Workington next year.

I don't think the BSPA running a meeting that has been in the fixture list all season can be to blame if Workington close down. I'd argue a string of promoters who have managed to see Workington to from crowds of 2000 to the 200 in 18 years must take the blame. And even if Cook had turned up and scored a maximum you'd have lost 46-44

yanks of Moran nor

Auty aside, every tea,s top two riders rode. This is probably the closest to a full line up this meeting has had in my life time!

Although many of the so called second rate riders are equally as enjoyable to watch as the so called top riders.

Spot on

Bit harsh singling out Auty as second rate. His battle with Fricke tonight was probably the best race I've seen all season, and I've watched over 100 matches live and televised in Poland, Sweden and GB.

No good comparing top riders today to the top riders of the past. Had there been a laborious GP series running in the olden days, this meeting would have been treated with contempt by those riders as well.

• Like 2

I don't think the BSPA running a meeting that has been in the fixture list all season can be to blame if Workington close down. I'd argue a string of promoters who have managed to see Workington to from crowds of 2000 to the 200 in 18 years must take the blame. And even if Cook had turned up and scored a maximum you'd have lost 46-44

Auty aside, every tea,s top two riders rode. This is probably the closest to a full line up this meeting has had in my life time!

that 44.46 result that you are confident about .

you missed out the 0 5 to edinbra in heat 2 .thats 1 point lost OFF the total score .

also the tac ride that gained an extra 3 points . to the total .

so your 44.46 score line is just fantasy . and i thought you were good !

Edited by jenga

Enjoyable meeting once the track was turned over by a few races. Congratulations to Freddie Lindgren, deserves it for supporting UK speedway for a number of years.

Inside two gates 18, outside two gates 4, so the luck of the draw helped to some extent.

Scott Nicholls unlucky to miss out on semis, no last places to Thorssells two, but only one heat win. Hans Andersen was good entertainment until he ran out of steam, where as Bomber came good too late.

Weather held after all, shame about the heavy shower in the afternoon otherwise track would have been superb.

And to round it off an enjoyable Guinness in the bar afterwards listening to the press conference.

p.s. A Belle Vue v Wolves final heat too, looking forward to watching the semi final on the box Monday, shame I can't be in Manchester for that.

Edited by Tactical Joker

Loved that. Congrats freddie.

that 44.46 result that you are confident about .you missed out the 0 5 to edinbra in heat 2 .thats 1 point lost OFF the total score .also the tac ride that gained an extra 3 points . to the total .so your 44.46 score line is just fantasy . and i thought you were good !

If Cook had turned up and scored a maximum.

Heat 1 - 4-2 (+1)

Heat 6 - 4-2 (+2)

Heat 8 - 3-3 (20-27)

Heat 10 - 4-2 (27-32)

Heat 13 - 4-2 (37-40)

Heat 15 3-3 (42-47)

Edited by grachan

Some good racing after the track dried out a bit, Fricke looked like he had not been away, Andersen rode superbly, Auty was very good and his race with Fricke is what speedway is all about shame the coming together resulting in Fricke being rightly excluded brought a premature end to a great tussle. Cook was involved in some good races but what happened Thursday? However thanks for coming.

• Like 1

yanks of Moran nor

Watching 1979 winner John Louis putting Bruce Penhall to the sword in front of a massive crowd is a treasured memory. It was like an unofficial World Final in those days, with the best rider over five rides the winner, as it should be IMO...

• Like 3

Watching 1979 winner John Louis putting Bruce Penhall to the sword in front of a massive crowd is a treasured memory. It was like an unofficial World Final in those days, with the best rider over five rides the winner, as it should be IMO...

Remember my Gran having to get our usual tickets for 'E' block at Hyde Rd in March just to make sure we got our usual place..

It was always October in those days..

Imagine having to get your tickets eight months in advance just to gaurantee your usual seat now for a Domestic Riders Championship?

How times change..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2