That however is what speedway needs to do

Back to upright engines where throttle control comes in

Stop the gardening at the gate

After a tape infringement straight back to the start

Stop the double ups / Downs

Back to 13 heats & second halves

All common sense but dreams I am afraid

• Like 9

Why are so many people anti - gardening?

I think its great to watch, especially if its prior to a crunch heat. Its all part of the race.

• Like 3

Upright engines wouldn't make any difference , you can bring back throttle control in laydowns , the ship has sailed on uprights and I am a fan of them I own 7 , 15 heat formula is good , double up down has got to go

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 4

That however is what speedway needs to do (or not)

Back to upright engines where throttle control comes in - Can't go back now, and it wouldn't make any difference.

Stop the gardening at the gate - There's far less gardening and messing about now than there was in the "good old days"

After a tape infringement straight back to the start - New rules don't allow riders to leave the track, and the 2 minutes is on immediately - so again this is far better than it was in the "good old days"

Stop the double ups / Downs - Agree, this is out of control. Some doubling up for upcoming riders is ok, but not doubling down for oldies looking to boost the pension.

Back to 13 heats & second halves - Definitely not. We need more value for money not less. 15 heat matches are far better than 13.

Why are so many people anti - gardening?

I think its great to watch, especially if its prior to a crunch heat. Its all part of the race.

I hate it, especially when they get off the bike. I'd prefer it if they had to assemble on a back line and then when the start marshal signals, they should ride straight into position and be under starters orders, no gardening or trying out various different grooves.

Back to upright engines where throttle control comes in - Can't go back now, and it wouldn't make any difference.

Stop the gardening at the gate - There's far less gardening and messing about now than there was in the "good old days"

After a tape infringement straight back to the start - New rules don't allow riders to leave the track, and the 2 minutes is on immediately - so again this is far better than it was in the "good old days"

Stop the double ups / Downs - Agree, this is out of control. Some doubling up for upcoming riders is ok, but not doubling down for oldies looking to boost the pension.

Back to 13 heats & second halves - Definitely not. We need more value for money not less. 15 heat matches are far better than 13.

In the 'good old days' some tracks had concrete starting grids.

• Like 2

For me the switch to 15 heats was the last good thing to happen in British Speedway. No reason not to have 15 heats and a 2nd half

• Like 2

For me the switch to 15 heats was the last good thing to happen in British Speedway. No reason not to have 15 heats and a 2nd half

Aye the old 13 heat format was a bit jaded , hence the change to 15 , 16 , 18 , then back to 15 . 15 works perfectly well . As for gardening , the holding on to the bike while they stamp on all the spiders at the starting gate looks a bit silly , I believe next season they're not allowed to get off the bike at all once they get to the start .

• Like 1

Aye the old 13 heat format was a bit jaded , hence the change to 15 , 16 , 18 , then back to 15 . 15 works perfectly well . As for gardening , the holding on to the bike while they stamp on all the spiders at the starting gate looks a bit silly , I believe next season they're not allowed to get off the bike at all once they get to the start .

I hadn't heard that - I hope you are right. :t:

• Like 1

Not sure about your suggestions (all worthy).......

But I would ditch the TR option and reintroduce the old TS rule.

Also give the losing side (6+ points) choice of gates until they are less than 6 behind.

13 heats and a full 2nd half would give you more racing so better value for money and reduced costs

13 heats and a full 2nd half would give you more racing so better value for money and reduced costs

No it wouldn't give better value for money. The overwhelming majority aren't interested in the '2nd half'.

• Like 2

No it wouldn't give better value for money. The overwhelming majority aren't interested in the '2nd half'.

Some went home after Heat 13 at Sunderland - but the majority stayed on to enjoy the Second Half.

Personally - I am with scarra on this one BW.

You could argue that those going home make their choice - it is up to them.

Don't get the obsession to lose 2 heats, seems barking to me. What many fail to realise is that clubs are not just restricted to times they can run, but also races that can be run. At kent the limit is 17 heats. So the 13 Heat format still would not allow proper 2nd halves.

Gardening, I thought this was a f growing problem. But having Watched some old world final races recently I would say the gardening was worse "back in the day".

Doubling up needs scrapping or at the very least limited to brits, under 25, for max of 2 seasons, and max of 2 leagues.

Not sure uprights would improve the spectacle but would surely make the sport safer.

And yes restarts should be straight away, maybe even subject to a 1 minute warning...

And yes restarts should be straight away, maybe even subject to a 1 minute warning...

A one minute warning for restarts has been a hobby horse of mine for many seasons.

We've stopped riders going back to the pits. But hell, if you follow the Tomasz Gollob two minute regime, you can change the rear wheel, alter the wheel base and change the engine timing between starts. And then, still change bikes before the time runs out.

No disrespect to Tomasz, given his serious injuries, but he was a past master at this.

Edited by False dawn