British Speedway Forum
norbold

R.i.p. Tom Farndon

Talking of World Finals( non official) I read a couple of reports yesterday about Tom. Apparently he had ‘big plans’ to take a group of riders at the end of the 1935 season to the US to help establish the sport there. He wanted a white liner (Tommy Croombs ) and a broadsider ( Gordon Byers) and another group that were heading to Australia would also meet up at some point with his group

Then some weeks later it was all cancelled I guess because Sydney had big plans for an official World Final with ACU approval they hoped. Tom was going, as the British Individual Champ and the Milne brothers from the US, which also made a trip to the US less meaningful anyway

• Like 1

Taking into consideration that at various times New Cross had two world champions ride for them (1936 Lionel Van Praag) (1937 Jack Milne) where would Tom Farndon equate in a 'Best Ever New Cross Top Ten'?

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, gustix said:

Taking into consideration that at various times New Cross had two world champions ride for them (1936 Lionel Van Praag) (1937 Jack Milne) where would Tom Farndon equate in a 'Best Ever New Cross Top Ten'?

Top.

Oh, and don't forget Barry Briggs.

Edited by norbold

9 hours ago, gustix said:

7 hours ago, norbold said:

Top.

Oh, and don't forget Barry Briggs.

Indeed. Add Barry Briggs (1957, 1958,1965) into the reckoning.

1 hour ago, gustix said:

Indeed. Add Barry Briggs (1957, 1958,1965) into the reckoning.

Not quite. 1957, 1958, 1964 and 1966.

Flashing over the line to a flying start, tearing onto the first bend, three international speedway riders were almost locked together in a sensational burst for the lead in the principal event of the night. Then from the outer, an extra flash, right across the path of the central figure of this stirring battle, and - crash ! From out of a shower of cinders a rider was flung headlong  on to the track. This was sensational enough, but it formed only a small part of the thrills and spills of the meeting staged at the Kilbirnie Stadium Speedway on Saturday night. The unfortunate in that episode was Tom Farndon, a noted English rider, making his first appearance in New Zealand. Earlier in the evening Farndon had given evidence of his undoubted ability, although he was probably then little more than feeling his way and reserving his best for this important final to the evening's events. His mastery of the art of cornering showed him up as a most spectacular broadside, the bends being negotiated with the machine leaning over at an exceptional angle. 

That was one local newspapers description of NZ's first sight of Tom

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

Interesting that the photo in the wonderful book on Farndon of all the people around his bike in NZ was actually an inspection by ACU officials to check it was within the regs after he smashed ‘Squib’ Burton’s track record..... it was and the new record stood !!

• Like 1

A passing though! I wonder how many present day speedway supporters know who - or sadly care - who Tom Farndon was?

I see they wanted to ban riders wives the season after Tom died. One of the reasons given was it makes riders nervous. Another mentioned Tom’s wife was in the stands watching as he crashed

Apart from when I was away from London because of National Service (1951 and 1952), I was a regular to New Cross until their closure in June 1953. I cannot recall very much debate among other supporters in regard to Tom Farndon. In the latter days of New Cross in 1953 the 'ridder of the moment' was probably Cyril Roger.

3 hours ago, gustix said:

In the latter days of New Cross in 1953 the 'ridder of the moment' was probably Cyril Roger.

Who did he get rid of?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, gustix said:

Apart from when I was away from London because of National Service (1951 and 1952), I was a regular to New Cross until their closure in June 1953. I cannot recall very much debate among other supporters in regard to Tom Farndon. In the latter days of New Cross in 1953 the 'ridder of the moment' was probably Cyril Roger.

1 hour ago, norbold said:

Who did he get rid of?

Whoops! Poor spellcheck on my part. Should be rider and not ridder! But no contradiction on my part in regard to Cyril Roger.

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, gustix said:

Whoops! Poor speecheck on my part. Should be rider and not ridder! But no contradiction on my part in regard to Cyril Roger.

And was there a book written about Cyril or one being mooted, I wonder ?

2 hours ago, gustix said:

Whoops! Poor spellcheck on my part. Should be rider and not ridder! But no contradiction on my part in regard to Cyril Roger.

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

And was there a book written about Cyril or one being mooted, I wonder ?

Not so far as I know re a  book about  Cyril Roger. But there are no books either so far as I can trace on other New Cross greats like Lionel Van Praag and Jack Milne. 

Edited by Guest