British Speedway Forum
norbold

R.i.p. Tom Farndon

1 minute ago, gustix said:

Not so far as I know re a  book about  Cyril Roger. Bu there are no books either so far as I can trace on other New Cross greats like Lionel Van Praag and Jack Milne. 

So what is our conclusion on that one then ?

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

So what is our conclusion on that one then ?

You tell me! You asked if there was a book on Cyril Roger and I resided. I also pointed out there were not so far as I kew books on other New Cross greats (two world champions) Jack Milne and Lionel Van Praag. Conversely, I don't think having a book written about a rider elevates him in any way to a status of greatness. As an immediate post-war New Cross supporter I don't recall much mention of Tom Farndon and he only seemingly came into the limelight for the brief period when an annual memorial meeting was held. I would emphasise also that I personally respect his memory but not to the realms of adulation.

6 minutes ago, gustix said:

You tell me! You asked if there was a book on Cyril Roger and I resided. I also pointed out there were not so far as I kew books on other New Cross greats (two world champions) Jack Milne and Lionel Van Praag. Conversely, I don't think having a book written about a rider elevates him in any way to a status of greatness. As an immediate post-war New Cross supporter I don't recall much mention of Tom Farndon and he only seemingly came into the limelight for the brief period when an annual memorial meeting was held. I would emphasise also that I personally respect his memory but not to the realms of adulation.

Doesn't that to a large extent though answer your question ? He must be remembered by modern fans, as there is a book  about him that I think sold quite well. I consider myself a modern fan. I was born some 30 years after Tom had died, yet I have heard of him and bought the book. I also go to speedway and intend to attend more meetings in the future. Whereas I can't really consider you to be a modern fan, since it is some 15 or so years since you last attended, and by all accounts have no intention of attending in the future

As you say, you don't recall much mention of Tom, but attended a memorial meeting or two in honour of the man. What more mention of him are you expecting ? And how many people did you talk to at those meetings ?  

Edited by iris123

7 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Doesn't that to a large extent though answer your question ? He must be remembered by modern fans, as there is a book  about him that I think sold quite well. I consider myself a modern fan. I was born some 30 years after Tom had died, yet I have heard of him and bought the book. I also go to speedway and intend to attend more meetings in the future. Whereas I can't really consider you to be a modern fan, since it is some 15 or so years since you last attended, and by all accounts have no intention of attending in the future

As you say, you don't recall much mention of Tom, but attended a memorial meeting or two in honour of the man. What more mention of him are you expecting ? And how many people did you talk to at those meetings ?  

I was in a group of five 'sarf' London early teenage lads who visited New Cross and saw several of these annual Tom Farndon Memorial meetings. I don't actually recall any debate among us as to who Tom Farndon was.

Mainly we would discuss the meeting's competing riders and which of them had a chance of victory. To us the rider the meeting was designed to honour meant very little.

I was in a group of five 'sarf' London early teenage lads who visited New Cross and saw several of these annual Tom Farndon Memorial meetings. I don't actually recall any debate among us as to who Tom Farndon was.

Mainly we would discuss the meeting's competing riders and which of them had a chance of victory. To us the rider the meeting was designed to honour meant very little.

I think that is probably right. You attended with some other youngsters. I wouldn't expect much talk about a rider you never saw amongst your group.

But there were meetings in his honour. I'd guess the programme gave him a mention, the announcer probably, and i'd imagine it brought back memories and even talk among those fans who saw him ride. I don't expect it was generally talk of the town though 

I'm not really sure what the point of this discussion is. I go to Ipswich on a reasonably regular basis and as yet have heard no discussion about Frank Arthur, Vic Huxley, Bluey Wilkinson, Vic Duggan, Jack Young or even Cyril Roger. Does that in some way mean they were not great riders or worth remembering?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, norbold said:

I'm not really sure what the point of this discussion is. I go to Ipswich on a reasonably regular basis and as yet have heard no discussion about Frank Arthur, Vic Huxley, Bluey Wilkinson, Vic Duggan, Jack Young or even Cyril Roger. Does that in some way mean they were not great riders or worth remembering?

I think I get the point, but it is only relevant to gustix. Surely people all around you are constantly talking about TRick, Gollob and Mauger ?

We have a decent thread remembering the man. What more can you ask for ?

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

It isn't unusual or disrespectful of modern day supporters that they only remember riders from the past (especially pre-war riders) as names.

At Birmingham, we have tried to keep the name of the Brummies best ever rider, Graham Warren alive by presenting an annual "Graham Warren Trophy" to the Birmingham rider we feel has made the biggest impact on the season, but in every year since 2007 when the trophy was launched, the winner has never heard of Graham Warren!

We aren't offended by this - it's just natural. Time marches on, and memories fade!

Clearly Tom Farndon was an exceptional rider and deserves to be remembered - but as he died four years before I was born, and 17 years before I started following speedway, I know little more than his name and what I have read about him.

Edited by brianbuck
  • Like 1

That is true. I started going to speedway in the 60s and regularly in the early 70s. Ove Fundin was riding, but not by the time I went regularly. But I don't recall one conversation about him. But what is that supposed to indicate ?

46 minutes ago, iris123 said:

That is true. I started going to speedway in the 60s and regularly in the early 70s. Ove Fundin was riding, but not by the time I went regularly. But I don't recall one conversation about him. But what is that supposed to indicate ?

I once read - in the 'Daily Mail' weekly medical section - that a memory time span is estimated to be over the previous 20 years. There were comments both in favour and anti the theory. But if it is correct, a good memory of a previous time would only be onwards circa 2000. No Tom Farndon - or Ove Fundin!!! - fitting into that time frame.

I once read - in the 'Daily Mail' weekly medical section - that a memory time span is estimated to be over the previous 20 years. There were comments both in favour and anti the theory. But if it is correct, a good memory of a previous time would only be onwards circa 2000. No Tom Farndon - or Ove Fundin!!! - fitting into that time frame.

Well I remember Tommy Jansson and Ronnie Moore. What does that prove?

1 hour ago, brianbuck said:

Clearly Tom Farndon was an exceptional rider and deserves to be remembered - but as he died four years before I was born, and 17 years before I started following speedway, I know little more than his name and what I have read about him.

Well said brianbuck. It illustrates to a large extent my thinking in regard to long past speedway riders.Now who said "Wal Morton"??

So where does Mike Bast fit in within a 20-year time frame?

Thing is, we all have memories.  I have still followed speedway over the last 20 years or so, but my best - and most vivid - memories are from W-A-Y before 2000.

Watching Olle Nygren at Plough Lane, attending Christer Lofqvist's debut at West Ham (and Sverre breaking his arm), Wembley World Finals, and plenty of others, they all seem like yesterday to me.

Of course, not all memories are good - Lokeren, Tommy, watching Leif Wahlmann crash right in front of me...  Terrible, but indelibly etched into my brain.

I don't subscribe to something as simple as elapsed time being the decisive factor; Personal impact (both good and bad) and importance are what keep our memories alive...

On 2/20/2020 at 9:39 AM, iris123 said:

I see they wanted to ban riders wives the season after Tom died. One of the reasons given was it makes riders nervous. Another mentioned Tom’s wife was in the stands watching as he crashed

Getting back to this. I wonder if it was just a bit of Hoskins publicity? It supposedly came from West Ham as a proposal and Wilkinson backed it up by saying he planned to get married when he had finished his career and not before