British Speedway Forum
norbold

R.i.p. Tom Farndon

So my mother - who was there that night - must have been 19 years old at the time. I can imagine how seeing the crash and hearing the tragic news later must have affected her. She never attended another speedway meeting.

Edited by Split
Wording changed
  • Confused 1

The stories and photos are very emotive. It is wonderful that some of our heroes, even those we didn't see are still remembered. Tommy Jansson was my favourite as a teenager. Still remembered to this day, even though I don't recall (as one ex-scribe stated) that they never heard people talking about him a decade or so later

Definitely one I would like to pop back and watch if they ever get a time machine on the market before I pop my clogs

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Definitely one I would like to pop back and watch if they ever get a time machine on the market before I pop my clogs

Don't you wish they could make a film that accurately replicates the look and the racing of pre-war speedway? They have managed it with most other sports, but to see something in HD colour that truly reflects that era of speedway would be incredible...

7 minutes ago, chunky said:

Don't you wish they could make a film that accurately replicates the look and the racing of pre-war speedway? They have managed it with most other sports, but to see something in HD colour that truly reflects that era of speedway would be incredible...

Great idea. I'd guess US style track racing or even Board racing would be the ideal sport, with a story around it. Not sure, but has there ever been a Hollywood film that features board racing at all ?

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Great idea. I'd guess US style track racing or even Board racing would be the ideal sport, with a story around it. Not sure, but has there ever been a Hollywood film that features board racing at all ?

I really don't know, but I was thinking about that too!

3 hours ago, Split said:

So my mother - who was there that night - must have been 19 years old at the time. I can imagine how seeing the crash and hearing the tragic news later must have affected her. She never attended another speedway meeting.

My mum was at West Ham the night Ernie Roccio was killed. She seldom talked about the incident. She was always a reluctant visitor to Custom House right up until the 1970's.

2 hours ago, chunky said:

I really don't know, but I was thinking about that too!

We need norbold to sell the rights to film his book !!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

We need norbold to sell the rights to film his book !!!

Great idea. I'd be happy to sell the rights to Tom Farndon for a couple of million. Not a lot when you consider how much of a blockbuster it will be.

8 minutes ago, norbold said:

Great idea. I'd be happy to sell the rights to Tom Farndon for a couple of million. Not a lot when you consider how much of a blockbuster it will be.

Who would you want to play Tom?

8 hours ago, chunky said:

Who would you want to play Tom?

Me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought you would be the amiable Norman Parker ? Wonder who we could get to play his ruthless brother ? 

8 hours ago, norbold said:

Me.

But Tom was young and good looking... :party:

Just now, chunky said:

So was norbold :blink: :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Don't forget I run a theatre. We can do wonders with make-up.