British Speedway Forum
norbold

R.i.p. Tom Farndon

I think that settles it- no-one alive today saw Tom Farndon ride.

1 minute ago, BOBBATH said:

I wouldn't say that, BB. Tom died in 1935. There are plenty of people still around in their 90s and even 100s, some of whom may have seen Tom Farndon ride. In fact, I would think it highly likely there are still a few people around who saw him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norbold said:

I wouldn't say that, BB. Tom died in 1935. There are plenty of people still around in their 90s and even 100s, some of whom may have seen Tom Farndon ride. In fact, I would think it highly likely there are still a few people around who saw him. 

Valid point. Now, I just wonder how many people still alive saw speedway in 1928?

7 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I might not be old enough to have had the privilege of seeing the great Tom Farndon ride but anybody who stood on the terraces at New Cross in the 60's like I did would have spoken to many people who did. "Who was this Farndon bloke they keep on about,"  I asked myself, "was he that good?" Now I know, yes, he was that good!

." 

Edited by Split
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Split said:

I might not be old enough to have had the privilege of seeing the great Tom Farndon ride but anybody who stood on the terraces at New Cross in the 60's like I did would have spoken to many people who did. "Who was this Farndon bloke they keep on about,"  I asked myself, "was he that good?" Now I know, yes, he was that good!

." 

You obviously stood next to different folk to old gusto, who I am sure stated on here that in the 40s and 50s nobody mentioned Farndon. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, iris123 said:

You obviously stood next to different folk to old gusto, who I am sure stated on here that in the 40s and 50s nobody mentioned Farndon. 

Well, my mother talked of Farndon often....her favourite rider in those days, my mother incidentally used to go to Speedway six times a week ALL in London!

And yes, I did hear people talking about him at NX in the '60s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andout said:

Well, my mother talked of Farndon often....her favourite rider in those days, my mother incidentally used to go to Speedway six times a week ALL in London!

And yes, I did hear people talking about him at NX in the '60s.

I hate to mention this, andout, but do you know who "old gusto" is?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, norbold said:

I'm sure he knows who the speedy fella is...

13 hours ago, norbold said:

No idea...

OK I got it.......

Edited by andout

On 2/20/2020 at 5:38 PM, Guest said:

You tell me! You asked if there was a book on Cyril Roger and I resided. I also pointed out there were not so far as I kew books on other New Cross greats (two world champions) Jack Milne and Lionel Van Praag. Conversely, I don't think having a book written about a rider elevates him in any way to a status of greatness. As an immediate post-war New Cross supporter I don't recall much mention of Tom Farndon and he only seemingly came into the limelight for the brief period when an annual memorial meeting was held. I would emphasise also that I personally respect his memory but not to the realms of adulation.

This was one such post

• Like 1

Always keep meaning to visit his grave at Foleshill cemetery. Always pass it on the way into Coventry. I have always found the story of Tom Farndon fascinating. It's fair to say he was the Bartosz Zmarzlik of his day and the amount of money he made in such a short space of time was incredible. At times he was riding 2 meetings a day and I worked it out once that he was raking in the equivalent £10,000 a day on some occasions! 

• Like 1

In the news today, is one such person who just might have seen Farndon and some of the other pre war greats. Remembering how popular the sport was and the chances that people born then in the area might have gone to one of the many stadiums

Daisy Moore is a true South London lady – born in St Thomas’ Hospital on September 19, 1928.

She can still, on the 75th anniversary of VE Day, recall what happened on May 8, 1945 when the Second World War ended, and the party in Wedgewood House, across Kennington Road from what had 10 years before become the Imperial War Museum.

“It was a terrific celebration,” she said. “We had a big bonfire in the middle of the square near Wedgewood House.

“Everyone was throwing out their furniture that they didn’t want, on to the fire. It was one big party with Americans, Canadians and Australian soldiers – as well as the Brits here from wherever. It was like a knees-up all night. Terrific.”

• Like 1

Blimey you are right maybe Daisy Moore did see Tom ride!!!