British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest johngreen4

SKY

I'm fairly certain that this will have been debated before, but it seems that Sky are trying to keep Monday night's regular for speedway.

With this in mind, would it not make sense for all EL meetings to take place on Mondays (I beleive the Polish & Swedish leagues stick to one night). This would give the opportunity for any given match to be screened, not a choice between 2 or 3.

Also, when the league gets down to the nitty gritty final stages, would it not be more exciting and fairer to have the crucial results coming in all at once, rather than spread out through the week. That way no teams have the advantage of knowing results in advance.

Given TR's imminent departure, it may be more inviting for the top riders to stay with the EL if they know in advance that they only have to commit to Monday nights rather than travelling all over the place.

Just an idle thought this, I know there are many disadvantages also, so don't all jump on me at once. :unsure:

The one day a week option seems to be popular but it does have the major problem in that the majority of stadiums are not owned by the speedway tracks as they are in Sweden/Poland and at some stadiums speedway is 3rd down the pecking order behind stock cars and greyhounds.

Would be interesting to see which days each stadium in the Elite League is used for other sports to see if this is at all viable?

Another problem with a race night during the week is the catchment area that the club has for it's fans.

Eastbourne for example has fans from Kent (myself included), there is no longer a Kent team, some from Surrey, West Sussex, and south London. This means it is very dificult to get to the match in good time, and the Kids are late to bed with school the next day. If we moved to a weekday a lot of our fans could not make it.

As for the stadium, we are lucky as the Dugards own it. Arlington Stadium is used for stock cars on Wednesday, which brings in a bigger crowd than Speedway.

Guest Hannah
at Coventry there is half the crowd that were there last Season.

Yes this is true but only because the team hasn't been performing half as well as it was last season! Not blaming any riders in particular but the new grading rules have really not helped Coventry's situation because they find it difficult to improve their team. That's why there is half the crowd.

I don't think the new rules are that bad, however, they are starting to seem a little silly! Not many fans are happy with these rules either so perhaps they will be axed at the end of the season?

Also, stockcars obviously do bring in a lot more money than speedway. We went to the stockcar meeting at Brandon at the beginning of this month and there were loads more people than there are at speedway! It's the greyhound racing that brings in most of the money though.

Guest BilaHora

All

Do you imagine that Tomasz Gollob, the highest paid sportsman in Poland (as we all know), counts in the ABC1 category?

Regards

BilaHora

The Sky match on the 11th Oct was watched by just 80,000 viewers, not a huge audience. However it was the third most watched programme on Sky Sports 2 that week. The truth is only football and top Rugby, Golf and Cricket matches pull the really big figures on SKY. I have watched the figures for Speedway on the BARB website all summer, under the viewer summary weekly reports section. Speedway is the top minority sport, but it has hardly ever gone over the 100,000 plus viewers. The sports figures are respectable but we cannot get carrried away with our importance to Sky.

And dont forget Speedway on Sky on Christmas Day 7pm (ithink thats the time any way)

Anyone think that we could get some other programmes like Prem or conf on Men and Motors. Anyone explored that avenue? Looking at the quality of programme on there perhaps they would be interested.

Guest bispham_seasider
Anyone think that we could get some other programmes like Prem or conf on Men and Motors.  Anyone explored that avenue?  Looking at the quality of programme on there perhaps they would be interested.

Forgive my ignorance on these matters, but don't Sky Sports own the exclusive rights to show PL speedway? Or in their case, not show PL Speedway? No idea about the CL though.

Just my thoughts and I could be wrong...

Anyone think that we could get some other programmes like Prem or conf on Men and Motors.  Anyone explored that avenue?  Looking at the quality of programme on there perhaps they would be interested.

Forgive my ignorance on these matters, but don't Sky Sports own the exclusive rights to show PL speedway? Or in their case, not show PL Speedway? No idea about the CL though.

Just my thoughts and I could be wrong...

They do indeed and this avenue has beenm looked at, think we need to wait until the new sky deal is done and dusted before we can go any further. big problem is it's cost a lot of money to film for TV, we are not talking £2k camera you buy in the superstores, we are talking big money. to film and produce 20 x ;) 30min progs would cost around £6-8k each, then you have to pay the people to do it!

I know because T2TV have been looking into it.

Elite clubs in 2004 recieved £45000 each from the sky deal. T.R recieved £265000 for brokering the deal. T.R s greed is shown by him requiring the same percentage of the new deal.

Alternatively, TR could have sat back and not bothered going to Sky, he'd not get his £265,000 but the clubs would not get their £45,000 either.

Surely letting him have £265,000 is not unfair as without him the sport would have 0 (NONE, nothing, zero) from Sky.