British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PHILIPRISING

Smolinski And Pussies

GERMANY'S Martin Smolinski is never going to win a popularity contest amongst his fellow SGP riders and he won't have helped himself with comments about Piotr Pawlicki in particular, comparing him with "a pussy footballer" after clashing with the Polish rider in Gorzow last Saturday.

He says: "It is a shame the way the sport is going and it is a shame the way referees and riders are acting. We have to be role models for young kids.

"It we get touched a bit and fall over it looks like we are pussy football players. It's not the way it should be. This is a real man's sport."

Now, there will be many who felt that Smolinski was unlucky to be excluded by referee Krister Gardell when he clashed with Pawlicki. It was one of those speedway incidents that splits opinion.

However, by effectively calling Pawlicki a "pussy" after the young Pole had carried on riding after a particular nasty crash in his first race, which most of us thought which bring his evening to a premature conclusion, will not have gone down well. Pawlicki is a SWC winner, qualified for the SGP on merit and races at the highest level in Poland and Sweden.

Not that Smolinski will be bothered. He has an arrogance that gets beneath the skin of his fellow competitors and his chances of any sympathy from within the pits is extremely unlikely.

• Like 2

The best title of a thread I've seen on here. I had no idea what to expect. . :lol::lol:

Pawlicki does take a tactical dive quite a bit.

You get that kind of response after incidents like that , I wouldn't make too much of an issue about it . Maybe Smolinski is after Pedersen's crown as pantomime villain . Few years back , during a televised Edinburgh v Workington clash , Tai Woffinden ( guesting for the Comets ) exclaimed during an after race interview that Edinburgh riders ride like girls - he had just been excluded after Matthew Wethers had fallen during Tai's attempt to overtake him .

Seems daft to think a speedway rider might go down too easy like a footballer , but i'll bet it happens .

• Like 1

Sometimes riders feel they have to drop it because refs hardly ever stop a race for dangerous riding if no ones come down.

• Like 3

Pawlicki is the cause of more stoppages in the SGP then any other rider in the history of the series. Nicki P included!

• Like 2

Sometimes riders feel they have to drop it because refs hardly ever stop a race for dangerous riding if no ones come down.

Agree,notice in Poland the ref excluded rider even though other rider didn't fall.Imo Smolinski was a little late with his move and gave Pawlicki nowhere to go and the ref got it right,but there are some pretty hard moves going on in GP's these days.Silly comment to ale though.

Got to say I do like Smolinksi.

Anything that gets PR to start a thread about pussies will always get my attention.

I wonder if Peter Oakes could look into this 'in more depth' now he has got Toto out of his system?

The German guy is right.

Referees are all to often taking the namby pamby option of excluding riders who ride hard and just ever so slightly not so clean.

The ones with Balls.

And letting the guys who opt to drop the bike 'to get a second chance' way too often.

Plus that constant shouting of NP/KT about 'was there contact' every time there is an incident.

Really wrankles. It should not decide the man at fault every time as they seem to constatntly bleat.

Pussies the lot of 'em.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

Pawlicki is the cause of more stoppages in the SGP then any other rider in the history of the series. Nicki P included!

his average in Poland isn't to bad either

Guest GiveusaB

It seemed to me that Pawlicki bailed off because he knew he would've been relegated to last place....had he been leading, I think he would've stayed on and tried to get the lead back!?

The Ref was wrong.....I agree with Smolinski's comments, but NOT with the way he's described it !?

It seemed to me that Pawlicki bailed off because he knew he would've been relegated to last place....had he been leading, I think he would've stayed on and tried to get the lead back!?

The Ref was wrong.....I agree with Smolinski's comments, but NOT with the way he's described it !?

OR perhaps he didn't want to get splattered for the second time in the evening

just like speedway star , intriguing title splashed all over the front page , followed by an article with no substance , just phillip risings hatred of all Germans and this one in particular , Smolinski is at the top of his game and riding out of his skin not only that he's a lovely person who everybody likes including all the other riders

Pawlicki played his cards and won the hand , everybody except the German hater thinks that .

HATRED of all Germans? Where did that come from and what evidence do you have? It is unsubstantiated comments like that which too often de-values the bsf and why so many people think it is a joke and a waste of time when it could and can be a source for good.

And if you think all the other riders like Smolinski then your knowledge is far worse than even I thought.

• Like 2

During his full SGP season I did not like Smolinski's boxing-gesture at all. Nowadays he gave it up. Back in June at the Challenge-semifinal in Olching I had the chance to talk to him in the pits and was very positively surprised what a friendly a nice person he can be .... I had to change my image about him form rather negative into positive. Let's not forget, the SGP circus can use one or two characters like Nicki P.

• Like 1

Guest GiveusaB

OR perhaps he didn't want to get splattered for the second time in the evening

...but he obviously didnt mind biting the dust again...... 'everybody' could see that he could of avoided Smolinski....???

Martin was going quicker and saw a gap, which Pawlicki was too slow to close ....

If the meeting had been held in any other country other than Poland, then I think the decision would have been different....imo?

...but he obviously didnt mind biting the dust again...... 'everybody' could see that he could of avoided Smolinski....???

Martin was going quicker and saw a gap, which Pawlicki was too slow to close ....

If the meeting had been held in any other country other than Poland, then I think the decision would have been different....imo?

WHY ... referee wasn't Polish and plenty of people including former riders (whose views I always think have a better perspective) thought the decision was correct.

WHY ... referee wasn't Polish and plenty of people including former riders (whose views I always think have a better perspective) thought the decision was correct.

Well of course plenty of people thought it was right AND plenty of people thought it wrong.

That is why we are discussing it all, for goodness sake.

It May even be 50-50.

My view remains the same with what I saw.

But I am always unimpressed with geriatrirc pit-dwellers being vaunted as having a more valid opinion.

Just because they once rode.

Rarely has that ever proved to be the case.