British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Havvy's Golden Glory

Much more offensive that Havvy's dreadlocks and drug taking was the record he brought out.

"I'm on cloud niiiiiine. I'm on cloud niiiine."

(Just gone on Youtube to see if I could find this delight of 90s music but couldn't find it. Found this, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szT1Q-YhGFk )

Edited by grachan

21427485_10154966328628450_3094204883741
Artwork by Richard Moss
Mr Havelock: In Progress

Forwarded message sent by Richard Williams: " Fabulous drawing of a true superstar, both on & off the track!! Still feel Havvy never got enough credit for his magnificent achievements in speedway!!"

Edited by Guest

Forwarded message sent by Richard Williams: " Fabulous drawing of a true superstar, both on & off the track!! Still feel Havvy never got enough credit for his magnificent achievements in speedway!!"

I wouldnt quite define him as a superstar.

One world title and 2 British crowns obviously mean he was very good.

Still not a patch on the legend that is Tai Woffinden

A different era and you need a different quality to win a one off world final harder in my opinion than to win the series .Havelock i was never a fan of i preferred Loram,Louis, .Dugard,Screen but he did reach the pinnacle which is a hell of a achievement as it stands at the moment i would still rate Craven,Lee,Collins higher than Woffinden but that could change in the future. Edited by Sidney the robin

Of our world champs Havelock must rate quite low I think.Maybe even at the bottom of the list.Remember seeing him while he was at Middleborough and he was an exciting prospect

A different era and you need a different quality to win a one off world final harder in my opinion than to win the series .Havelock i was never a fan of i preferred Loram,Louis, .Dugard,Screen but he did reach the pinnacle which is a hell of a achievement as it stands at the moment i would still rate Craven,Lee,Collins higher than Woffinden but that could change in the future.

I'd say it's harder to win a series Sid - unless you are one of the top two in the world that year, then I'd say it would be tougher to win a one off final.

Was a great achievement no doubt. and was no fluke. He had an outstanding season. It no way imo he would have won a gp series. But being arguably the worst British world champ is still far more than most achieve.

If woffy finishes top 2 this year Sid would u rate him best ever? With another world title?

I'd say it's harder to win a series Sid - unless you are one of the top two in the world that year, then I'd say it would be tougher to win a one off final.

Was a great achievement no doubt. and was no fluke. He had an outstanding season. It no way imo he would have won a gp series. But being arguably the worst British world champ is still far more than most achieve.

If woffy finishes top 2 this year Sid would u rate him best ever? With another world title?

NO i personally dont think Woffinden at his best would beat Lee /Collins. Craven i did not see ride but his record speaks for itself.Also in yesteryear when Briggo/Mauger (ect) rode in British Final's it was mighty tough to qualify for a WF now i think Grand Prix results are percentage results.
  • Like 1

I am sure that I read some years ago that several people involved with British speedway at international level were of the opinion that Gary Havelock had the qualifications and personality to be a future GB team manager?

Have to say Havvy would be my last choice of all British world champs to manage team GB.

NO i personally dont think Woffinden at his best would beat Lee /Collins. Craven i did not see ride but his record speaks for itself.Also in yesteryear when Briggo/Mauger (ect) rode in British Final's it was mighty tough to qualify for a WF now i think Grand Prix results are percentage results.

Is that the barometer to use though? Gollob at his best is probably better than Hancock or nicki P at their best. but surely ranks behind them in a list of all time greats.

I agree GPS are percentage results, thereby a better indicator of who is the best rider in the world . You win by being best over a season, not by overcoming nerves or lifting your game for the big night.

Interesting comment on the Teterow GP thread when asked who would you name as an unworthy world champion,someone said the obvious choice would be -Gary Havelock.You pays your money and make your choice,so to say.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=84879&page=7

Exactly - Havvy's dreads were considered "out there" in 1992 if I remember correctly!

Only by some. I recall regarding an article by Ivan Mauger after the '92 World Final saying he was just what speedway needed. I recall him saying something like, "Look around an airport & you will see many more people that look like him than me".

He was foolish with his drug offence, but accepted his punishment like a man, came back reformed, better, stronger & more committed & we know where it ended. Never shirked his responsibility as a racer for club or country & was an excellent servant for all his clubs & his country, many times as an inspirational captain.

I would suggest he was a worthy world champion & carried his title with dignity & as a great ambassador at a time when the sport (like now) was struggling.

Very good? A world champion? Oh, OK. Do you have any idea how few people actually reach the pinnacle of their chosen sport/profession, compared to how many try it? Any sportsperson that becomes a world champion is part of an elite group, whether you rate them or not. It is an incredible achievement that only a few can match. Even Muller & Szczakiel deserve absolute respect as perhaps the two speedway world champions who rate lowest in many fans view, but the reality is they still had to deliver when it mattered.

Would you rate Kelly & Shawn Moran, Todd Wiltshire, Tommy Knudsen, Zenon Plech & Leigh Adams, as just "very good". I would argue they were great riders, yet between them they didn't win a single world title. There are dozens more riders who were great racers, but couldn't quite reach the very top. In the early 90's Havelock was one of the best around, proven by his world title win.

And I'm assuming your describing Woffinden as a legend is tongue in cheek. Long way to go before he can assume that status.

Only by some. I recall regarding an article by Ivan Mauger after the '92 World Final saying he was just what speedway needed. I recall him saying something like, "Look around an airport & you will see many more people that look like him than me".

He was foolish with his drug offence, but accepted his punishment like a man, came back reformed, better, stronger & more committed & we know where it ended. Never shirked his responsibility as a racer for club or country & was an excellent servant for all his clubs & his country, many times as an inspirational captain.

I would suggest he was a worthy world champion & carried his title with dignity & as a great ambassador at a time when the sport (like now) was struggling.

I endorse your comments all the way Dave the Mic. The drug stupidity by Gary Havelock was TWENTY EIGHT YEARS AGO. He has moved own to redeem himself and done splendidly. Sadly for some BSF posters they are unable to forgive and accept a change in attitude by Havvy. In officialdom he paid and accepted the penalty for his foolishness all those years ago It's time that things in regard to a past foolishness are forgot and FORGIVEN.

Of our world champs Havelock must rate quite low I think.Maybe even at the bottom of the list.Remember seeing him while he was at Middleborough and he was an exciting prospect

Probably lowest of them all I would think Iris. Still won it though, which is more than can be said for most riders who throw their leg over a bike.

• Like 1