British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Havvy's Golden Glory

Only by some. I recall regarding an article by Ivan Mauger after the '92 World Final saying he was just what speedway needed. I recall him saying something like, "Look around an airport & you will see many more people that look like him than me".

He was foolish with his drug offence, but accepted his punishment like a man, came back reformed, better, stronger & more committed & we know where it ended. Never shirked his responsibility as a racer for club or country & was an excellent servant for all his clubs & his country, many times as an inspirational captain.

I would suggest he was a worthy world champion & carried his title with dignity & as a great ambassador at a time when the sport (like now) was struggling.

Very good? A world champion? Oh, OK. Do you have any idea how few people actually reach the pinnacle of their chosen sport/profession, compared to how many try it? Any sportsperson that becomes a world champion is part of an elite group, whether you rate them or not. It is an incredible achievement that only a few can match. Even Muller & Szczakiel deserve absolute respect as perhaps the two speedway world champions who rate lowest in many fans view, but the reality is they still had to deliver when it mattered.

Would you rate Kelly & Shawn Moran, Todd Wiltshire, Tommy Knudsen, Zenon Plech & Leigh Adams, as just "very good". I would argue they were great riders, yet between them they didn't win a single world title. There are dozens more riders who were great racers, but couldn't quite reach the very top. In the early 90's Havelock was one of the best around, proven by his world title win.

And I'm assuming your describing Woffinden as a legend is tongue in cheek. Long way to go before he can assume that status.

Missing my point.

Nielsen, Rickardsson, Crump, Pedersen all can be classed as legends and exceptional riders in that modern era. Tai isnt to far behind.

Havelock was a very good rider, would i class him as one of the greats as he won a world title? No.

He took his chance when it was there same as Muller and Jerzy.

Loram and Gollob also only won one world title but in the list of true greats i would have Gollob then Loram and then Havvy

Very good rider, but not one of the greats in my opinion

Missing my point.

Nielsen, Rickardsson, Crump, Pedersen all can be classed as legends and exceptional riders in that modern era. Tai isnt to far behind.

Havelock was a very good rider, would i class him as one of the greats as he won a world title? No.

He took his chance when it was there same as Muller and Jerzy.

Loram and Gollob also only won one world title but in the list of true greats i would have Gollob then Loram and then Havvy

Very good rider, but not one of the greats in my opinion

Not missing your point at all. The riders you mention are rightly classed as legends as much as for what they achieved as for their perception by the speedway public. They also had longevity of greatness, as Hancock has. I think Woffy is a great rider, no mistake & I like him as a racer. Not sure he would be quite in the same league as those you mention either, apart from Pedersen. Legend though? Not yet, in my opinion.

I don't recall suggesting Havelock was an "all time great" either. Not once. However suggesting that he was only "very good" is doing him a huge disservice. I wouldn't rate him with any of those riders that have one more than one title, including Woffinden, but that isn't to say that at the peak of his powers he wasn't one of the best around, because he was.

I endorse your comments all the way Dave the Mic. The drug stupidity by Gary Havelock was TWENTY EIGHT YEARS AGO. He has moved own to redeem himself and done splendidly. Sadly for some BSF posters they are unable to forgive and accept a change in attitude by Havvy. In officialdom he paid and accepted the penalty for his foolishness all those years ago It's time that things in regard to a past foolishness are forgot and FORGIVEN.

Not at all.When weighing up someones career everything is taken into account surely?Not just the things you want taken into account

But it does bring us back to the question asked a number of times now.Just what has Tai done that has offended you so much and you don't seem to want to put in the past?

Probably lowest of them all I would think Iris. Still won it though, which is more than can be said for most riders who throw their leg over a bike.

I'd agree with that Dave :t:

• Like 1

There is criticism in this thread at Gary Havelock for 'many years ago' having dreadlocks. In these modern times I have not seen similar adverse comments made about Swedish star Antonio Lindback who also has them.

There is criticism in this thread at Gary Havelock for 'many years ago' having dreadlocks. In these modern times I have not seen similar adverse comments made about Swedish star Antonio Lindback who also has them.

Really? I think one poster mentioned dreadlocks on a negative light, in direct response to someone comparing him positively to Tai. Most people couldn't care less about his dreadlocks.

Now you seem to be still avoiding the question. In what way do you not consider Tai a good role model in comparison to other British world champs?

• Like 2

Yes a good record. Not as good as Tais though. What was your issue with Tai again, I seem to have missed your response.

Yes a good record. Not as good as Tais though. What was your issue with Tai again, I seem to have missed your response.

Well, it's being South African Champion that has secured his place as an all-time great!

You know, you have me checking this thread on a regular basis looking for gustix's response... I think he is just doing this for dramatic effect!

Steve

Think it took gustix many prompts and over a year before he eventually got round to answering why he thought Mike Bast was one of the best ever riders.......in the end it was all a disappointment as he couldn't justify the claim.So just trolling as usual i think :icon_smile_clown:

Edited by iris123

A look back to 1992 when Gary Havelock proved himself as the then world No.1 rider:

Hello????? Anybody there????

Steve

I wouldn't put Havelock as an all time great..but at the time he won his title I was watching him week in week out and he did deserve his title that year...and I do think he could have won a GP series that particular year...obviously his title record doesn't compare to Woffinden's but I do think at his short peak he was better than Tai has been..

I wouldn't put Havelock as an all time great..but at the time he won his title I was watching him week in week out and he did deserve his title that year...and I do think he could have won a GP series that particular year...obviously his title record doesn't compare to Woffinden's but I do think at his short peak he was better than Tai has been..

That's a fair assessment you make Bruiser McHuge IMO of Gary Havelock.

Edited by Guest

Sorry have I just read that someone thinks Gary Havelock at his best was better than Tai Woffinden at his best!!!

That's a fair assessment you make Bruiser McHuge IMO of Gary Havelock.

Fair enough, but are you going to answer the question?

Steve