British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blueherb777

Speedway Star `publishers Notice` Pages 2 And 3 This Week.

As a occasional buyer of speedway star, I was keen to obtain this weeks copy after reading above comments, but, amazingly, the speedway star is not available at the NSS at Belle Vue...

I subscribe to the electronic version, but hate the Exact Editions app with a passion. I run it on my kindle and it crashes every few pages on average. It doesn't do the content justice which is a real shame. I am considering ditching my subscription just because of the poor platform.

To the guests discussion, I am fine with guests. Running meetings with juniors riding in heat leader spots is much worse for the sport in my opinion. I support the race jacket rather than the individual and with teams churning regularly throughout the season, the loyalty angle seems laughable.

As a occasional buyer of speedway star, I was keen to obtain this weeks copy after reading above comments, but, amazingly, the speedway star is not available at the NSS at Belle Vue...

IT should be in the club shop. Presume that was on Friday. Will investigate. Thanks.

I subscribe to the electronic version, but hate the Exact Editions app with a passion. I run it on my kindle and it crashes every few pages on average. It doesn't do the content justice which is a real shame. I am considering ditching my subscription just because of the poor platform.

To the guests discussion, I am fine with guests. Running meetings with juniors riding in heat leader spots is much worse for the sport in my opinion. I support the race jacket rather than the individual and with teams churning regularly throughout the season, the loyalty angle seems laughable.

SORRY to hear that. We have had very few complaints about the digital version but will enquire of Exact.

APPARENTLY SS was on sale in the BV club shop on Friday. Can I ask if you tried there?

My interest in British speedway has dwindled quite a bit this year. So much so, that i haven't even went down to Berwick this season at all. In fact, i've only attended three meetings this season. The Ben Fund at Glasgow, a Bandits meeting there a couple of months back and the Caledonian Riders Championship at Armadale on Friday past.

Make no mistake, Berwick have had a torrid season with injuries etc, and a 170 mile round trip just hasn't been appealing at all if i'm honest. I'm really chuffed they've won the last four home meetings though. Onwards and upwards!

The other reason that my interest is gone in domestic speedway. I changed jobs last summer. After five years working every weekend in a hotel, i now have every weekend off, bar the very occasional Saturday morning for two or three hours. I live a 25 minutes drive from Knockhill. Be it the Scottish car racing club, Super Touring Car festival, British Touring Car Championship, or as i attended yesterday, my first ever bike racing event on track. I absolutely loved it. The superbikes and sidecars were amazing to watch. And the admission? I was an advanced ticket at £13. On the gate on the day was £15. But that's from 9.30am until 5pm. You're £17 at Glasgow and Edinburgh for about 2 hours!

Despite my dwindling interest, Speedway Star has still been the weekly regular when i get my weekly shopping. I'm very lucky that my local Tesco stocks it, as does Morrisons occasionally i believe.

My interest isn't totally gone though. I'm still an avid viewer of all the televised GP's, SWC, Pairs and domestic league meetings. Tonight's meeting was a decent one.

Hopefully i'll get my speedway "ooomph" back for next season. But when you have weekends off again, there's always other options rather than a 170 mile round trip for "home" meetings.

• Like 1

However you wanted to tart up and "sell" the Austin Allegro and the Morris Marina, they were just bad cars surrounded by better products in a competitive environment.

Oh memory flashback... My first car, an old blue Allegro. I passed my test on a Thursday and remember driving up the M1 that same evening to watch Long Eaton race at Sheffield. Burned so much oil in that 50 odd mile trip and would cut out at about 70mph dropping me back to about 30mph.... an inexperienced driver on a busy M1 in a dodgy car... I was totally relaxed... not!

Oh memory flashback... My first car, an old blue Allegro. I passed my test on a Thursday and remember driving up the M1 that same evening to watch Long Eaton race at Sheffield. Burned so much oil in that 50 odd mile trip and would cut out at about 70mph dropping me back to about 30mph.... an inexperienced driver on a busy M1 in a dodgy car... I was totally relaxed... not!

Had a simlar experience in the 1990's, 1996 to be precise. The water pump was leaking on my Vauxhall Nova so I was forced to carry about a gallon of water (!) to make the trip to Bradford and back to cheer on the Vikings. Bit silly I know, but the away meet came before I had the opportunity to renew the pump (what a palava) but needs must (musted ?) at the time.

Back on main topic:I still take the 'Star every week, paper version, I 'sub' to it - much cheaper - and, despite my speedway viewing kinda restricted to watching on TV at mums / mates houses and too few trips to Scunny, I wouldn't dream of missing it....

Edited by Martin Mauger