British Speedway Forum
Guest compost

Average Number Of Races Per Meeting

Guest compost

I know this has been a hot topic in the discussion threads over the years however I have been working on second half results in the 40's and onwards and thought you might be interested in some of the analysis.

I have only looked at 1946 so far but if there is any interest in this I will post further seasons details as I manage to get them done.

The average number of races per Team per meeting for 1946 come in at (see below for caviats) -

National League

Belle Vue 18.8 (17/21) – 6th

Bradford 19.6 (18/22) – 4th

New Cross 19.1 (16/21) -5th

Wembley 21.95 (20/25) – 1st

West Ham 20.8 (20/24) – 2nd

Wimbledon 19.7 (16/28) – 3rd

Northern League

Birmingham 20.6 (18/23) – 4th

Glasgow 21.0 (18/24) – 2nd

Middlesbrough 21.7 (19/23) – 1st

Norwich 20.9 (18/23) – 3rd

Sheffield 19.1 (17/22) – 5th

Non-League

Bristol 20.1 (17/22)

The numbers in brackets give the lowest number of races in a meeting/the highest number of races. I have used 'races' rather than 'heats' as the figures include match races and track record attempts as well as 'heats'.

All details from files on the Speedway Researcher. Minimum of 75% of meetings staged at each track had to have full details available (which is why neither Newcastle or any other non-league venues do not appear). Meetings curtailed in any way before being completed are not included and figures were compiled from all qualifying meetings at each venue (so if, say, Norwich was riding at Birmingham but the Norwich promotion staged a home meeting at the same time then this is included in the figures given above).

Wembley, on the face of it, was the best VFM. However, they staged nearly all 2nd half races over 3 laps (as did West Ham) so probably the best overall VFM award goes to Middlesbrough (which was a bit of a surprise). Also surprising was Belle Vue turning out to be the poorest VFM - I think they preferred staging extra meetings rather than boosting the 2nd half races (and there was no junior league racing this season). Wimbledon's 28 race meeting consisted of 28 match races with 8 riders racing each other the once (Bill Kitchen won with 7 unbeaten rides) - incidentially each race was over 3 laps only which would make it a 21 race meeting in lap terms !

Other interesting items that was noticed included very few venues staged additional races after Individual or National Trophy meetings. ACU Cup matches (16 heats) tended to see a smaller 2nd half too. The top division, as a rule of thumb, tended to be poorer VFM in number terms than the Second Division (or non-league Bristol) - though I suspect the counterpoint will be rider quality (but that's another argument).

I know this has been a hot topic in the discussion threads over the years however I have been working on second half results in the 40's and onwards and thought you might be interested in some of the analysis.

I have only looked at 1946 so far but if there is any interest in this I will post further seasons details as I manage to get them done.

The average number of races per Team per meeting for 1946 come in at (see below for caviats) -

National League

Belle Vue 18.8 (17/21) – 6th

Bradford 19.6 (18/22) – 4th

New Cross 19.1 (16/21) -5th

Wembley 21.95 (20/25) – 1st

West Ham 20.8 (20/24) – 2nd

Wimbledon 19.7 (16/28) – 3rd

Northern League

Birmingham 20.6 (18/23) – 4th

Glasgow 21.0 (18/24) – 2nd

Middlesbrough 21.7 (19/23) – 1st

Norwich 20.9 (18/23) – 3rd

Sheffield 19.1 (17/22) – 5th

Non-League

Bristol 20.1 (17/22)

The numbers in brackets give the lowest number of races in a meeting/the highest number of races. I have used 'races' rather than 'heats' as the figures include match races and track record attempts as well as 'heats'.

All details from files on the Speedway Researcher. Minimum of 75% of meetings staged at each track had to have full details available (which is why neither Newcastle or any other non-league venues do not appear). Meetings curtailed in any way before being completed are not included and figures were compiled from all qualifying meetings at each venue (so if, say, Norwich was riding at Birmingham but the Norwich promotion staged a home meeting at the same time then this is included in the figures given above).

Wembley, on the face of it, was the best VFM. However, they staged nearly all 2nd half races over 3 laps (as did West Ham) so probably the best overall VFM award goes to Middlesbrough (which was a bit of a surprise). Also surprising was Belle Vue turning out to be the poorest VFM - I think they preferred staging extra meetings rather than boosting the 2nd half races (and there was no junior league racing this season). Wimbledon's 28 race meeting consisted of 28 match races with 8 riders racing each other the once (Bill Kitchen won with 7 unbeaten rides) - incidentially each race was over 3 laps only which would make it a 21 race meeting in lap terms !

Other interesting items that was noticed included very few venues staged additional races after Individual or National Trophy meetings. ACU Cup matches (16 heats) tended to see a smaller 2nd half too. The top division, as a rule of thumb, tended to be poorer VFM in number terms than the Second Division (or non-league Bristol) - though I suspect the counterpoint will be rider quality (but that's another argument).

Some fascinating stats there!

I haven't quoted your Post again but as steve says, it is fascinating.

There is also a lot of hard work gone in to this - thank you for your efforts.

A worthwhile exercise as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

Guest compost

Results for 1949.

Shown in ‘best value’ order -

Wembley 23/23 (23.4/22.9)

West Ham 22 (21.6)

Birmingham 21 (21.4)

Harringay 21 (21.1)

Bradford 21 (20.9)

New Cross 21 (20.7)

Wimbledon 20 (20.49)

Belle Vue 19 (19.4)

Norwich 22

Glasgow 21.5

Ashfield 21 (21.2)

Coventry 21 (20.97)

Bristol 21 (20.94)

Cradley Heath 21 (20.91)

Sheffield 21 (20.6)

Edinburgh 21 (20.52)

Walthamstow 20 (20.2)

Fleetwood 20 (20.1)

Halifax 22 (21.7)

Yarmouth 21 (21.4)

Liverpool 21 (21.3)

Leicester 21 (20.97)

Swindon 21 (20.8)

Oxford 21 (20.63)

Hastings 21 (20.6)

Rayleigh 21 (20.57)

Hanley 21 (20.52)

Plymouth 20 (20.4)

Tamworth 20 (20.4)

Exeter 20 (20.3)

Poole 20 (20.03)

Hull 20

St Austell 24 (23.8)

Rye House 19 (18.9)

High Beech 18 (17.8)

For all other venues there were insufficient results to show meaningful figures. Not sure how complete the details for High Beech & Rye House are – the heat totals seem a bit low but it could be they put on practice races that weren’t included in programmes.

There are 2 figures shown for Wembley. The first includes 2 double headers, the latter doesn’t. The Wembley double header League matches were the best value meetings in the sample with a total of 28 heats (next best were 7 meetings where 25 races were held - with 5 held at non-League St Austell).

However, non-League St Austell was the place to go for value with an average of 23.8 races per meeting. With a 14 heat challenge match came 3 by 3 race second half events (in general).

Belle Vue once again put on a poor show when compared to any other League track, no idea why.

In League 1 Belle Vue & Wimbledon preferred putting on Second Halves consisting on single event races. The other tracks’ Second Halves generally comprised a named competition with heats leading to a Final plus a junior or reserves race.

Best Second Half riders in this division were : Graham Warren with 17 competition wins, Tommy Price & Aub Lawson were 2nd on 14 each then Wilbur Lamoreaux on 11. Vic Duggan came joint 5th on 9.

In League 2 Norwich were 50/50 on single race events/a more standard second half. Everyone else tended towards the usual second half layout. Top competition winners were : Ken Le Breton on 22 (the highest number in the League this year), Alan Hunt on 15, Jack Young on 13 & tying on 10 apiece were Dick Campbell & Paddy Mills. Ken Le Bretons total included 7 wins away tracks (though not at 7 different venues).

Finally, in League 3 all sides followed the standard second half format (though Rayleigh’s second half tended to be run over 3 laps rather than 4). Top riders were : Billy Bales on 18 wins, Peter Lansdale on 15 with Arthur Forrest tying with Don Hardy on 14. Billy Bales’ total includes wins at 6 opposition tracks.

Most tracks put on a 14 heat match with a second half of a junior race and a 4 heat plus Final event. For National Trophy matches the format tended to be 18 heat cup match plus up to 2 junior/reserve races. Very few put on anything after an Individual meeting.

Based on information contained in Team files on the Speedway Researcher. Usual warnings apply btw.

Edited by compost