British Speedway Forum
diamond_ren

Jason Doyle In This Weeks Speedway Star

AND how would that help?

Simple really, we would have riders committed to riding in the UK and not a cadre of people who have one eye on Poland/Sweden.

At the moment, if Poland says jump, the rider (and Peterboro says how high - and how much cash can I have).

It's a daft situation and British fans have had enough.

The issue is rider availability. I am moving to Peterboro area but would never go there while the current promotion is in charge. They sold fans down the river and I would rather watch Emmerdale than go to the Showground - that's how bad it is, for me

It's a bit rich from Doyle to say there are dangerous riders over here,the number of crashes he has caused in his career .

Agree. Very dangerous rider.

QUITE right and another reason why averages don't work in any shape or form. Instead of selecting someone to work for you (ride) from a bunch of candidates, there might only be one whose average fits. Automatically his wage demands rocket. A five or six point rider can (and often do) finish up on a higher wage scale that a rider with a better average.

Its not automatically his demands rockets,they don't have to pay over the odds it's just the way Promoters run their businesses in GB.Tell them where to go and pay money they can afford. It won't alter the entertainment factor.I agree averages are killing the sport in more ways than one.

Its not automatically his demands rockets,they don't have to pay over the odds it's just the way Promoters run their businesses in GB.Tell them where to go and pay money they can afford. It won't alter the entertainment factor.I agree averages are killing the sport in more ways than one.

Along with lots of other things. :sad: :sad: :sad:

That's the trouble "lots of other things" if it was just a couple of issues it could perhaps be mended but there's so much wrong with the sport I can't see it recovering especially from this season. Trouble is we keep saying it can't get any worse then it does. What the hells going to happen next season

• Like 3

That's the trouble "lots of other things" if it was just a couple of issues it could perhaps be mended but there's so much wrong with the sport I can't see it recovering especially from this season. Trouble is we keep saying it can't get any worse then it does. What the hells going to happen next season

It will probably be the"best ever BSPA Conference ever this winter" if it's anything to go by
  • Like 1

DEPENDS what those wages are. As I have previously argued here or elsewhere, scrap averages and wages could come down if you have 10 riders available for a team place rather than just one whose average happens to fill the void.

Erm, you are aware of you have 10 points you can still sign a 3 pointer so your belief only one rider fits is massively wrong.

The points limit is one of the best things about speedway.

QUITE right and another reason why averages don't work in any shape or form. Instead of selecting someone to work for you (ride) from a bunch of candidates, there might only be one whose average fits. Automatically his wage demands rocket. A five or six point rider can (and often do) finish up on a higher wage scale that a rider with a better average.

Every year at the conference the collective BSPA have the power to do away with averages but every year they vote to retain them

Erm, you are aware of you have 10 points you can still sign a 3 pointer so your belief only one rider fits is massively wrong.

The points limit is one of the best things about speedway.

THINK you are missing the point (no pun intended) and no its not ...

Edited by PHILIPRISING

So ok, you scrap the averages for team building purposes.

But there has got to be some sort of controls, hasn't there? Otherwise you risk getting a repeat of Cradley in the late 70's when McCormick's chequebook ruled.

I think the notion of "banning" GP riders is plain daft (same goes for "banning" any category of rider).

But if there isn't control via a cap on the team average total, wouldn't it bring in the need for control by way of an overall team pay cap instead?

That would be very hard to monitor and enforce, though. Teams would find ways around it, and you can bet it would be the usual slippery character at the forefront.

THINK you are missing the point (no pun intended) and no its not ...

Your point is that a points limit, limits who you can sign (correct point) but also assumes that no limit saves money.

Lets assume we have a points limit, I have 2 team places, I am the last club with any team places, I have 13 points to play with. I can sign any combo of 11+2, a 10+3, 9+4, 8+5, 7+6 plus nothing to stop me signing 10+2, 9+2, 8+2 etc. There are loads of combos.

Now lets assume it's a free for all. I have the last 2 places. The two 10 point men know I need them so can ask whatever the hell they like. How has anything changed? Except now Team A has built to 55 points and Team B have built to 35 points meaning Team A are going to beta Team B about 65-25 home and away. Without a point limit you end up with complete mis-matches and fans won't stand for that, they'll stop going.

Two things that absolutely should NOT be scrapped. The points limit (open to debate if you think it should be higher or lower. I think slightly below break even personally) and the league points for a meeting (again, open to debate if you should get all 3 points if you win at home by 1-6. Personally I'd go back to the original 2 points for a home win, a 3rd point if you win by 6 or more) as it makes most heat 15's matter.

AND how would that help?

If I asked you to name the top 10 moaners and causes of meetings being postponed there would be a heavy bias towards GP riders and Australians. I can't think of one that isn't one or the other, Sam Master maybe? But the rest? Either a PITA or frankly no loss if they're not here.

Obviously I can't ban Aussies, it has to be a "work permit" thing, which will effect nobody else AFAIK, Wilson-Dean has a British mum(if its not his mum its someone), Wells has residency, can't think of anyone else who would even be remotely effected.

Lets see the Aussies crack on then. They can show us how it's done!