British Speedway Forum
diamond_ren

Jason Doyle In This Weeks Speedway Star

Was he really saying that. Because dudek isnt Australian either?

But you are right, why would we want the best rider in the world riding here if he is occasionally going to express opinions rather than only generic platitudes.

if you want the best rider in the world riding in New Zealand , I'm sure they'll gladly come , provided you give them enough money , meantime we are discussing what happens here in OUR country with OUR speedway , which really is none of your business ,

I didn't misunderstand at all.

Kevin Doolan, Shane Parker Ryan Sullivan Jason Crump etc have made a contribution yes, no argument but had they not come to the UK I very much doubt they would have made a living let alone achieved what they have if they stayed in Oz.

Well Holder has made a contribution this season, pretty sure it's not to the benefit of the sport tho.

SO you simply ignore all the good seasons Holder had, the pure joy he, especially with Darcy Ward, provided not just to Poole fans but speedway supporters in general. There was a time when EVERY Elite league track (as it was then) admitted their best crowds of the season came when Poole with Holder and Ward riding were in town. Australian riders in general have made a massive contribution to speedway here over decades and the fact that many now also ride elsewhere is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

If you were offered a job but your prospective employer was unable to tell you when you would be required you might be sceptical about accepting. That is what a number of riders (not just Australian) are asking for.

• Like 4

We should listen to some of what Doyle is saying, take Poole for instance, why can't Matt iron out all the lumps and bumps ffs, it's ridiculous.. Our promoters should study their tracks and try to make them better, smoother, better shaped, do what is necessary. Of course accessing them is a problem and for some it's spending money on something they don't own but if the will is there to improve it and hopefully reap the benefit?

You could argue Holder had made a contribution to British speedway for the better but has undone a lot if not most of that through his actions this season.

looking at the situation realistically , we have only had these problems with Australians since big money was available in Poland , previous to that they were happy to race here in the leagues structured as they were and take what money was on offer , , had Doyle not had some sort of knock on the head which made him step up a gear and remained a 3rd heat leader at championship level , you wouldn't be hearing a peep out of him , I would say Holder is a spent force and who cares what he does from here on , Doyle is a greedy mardy arse who's too far up his own arse , if he wants to race in Poland fine let him go and no coming back. no point us worrying about a couple of greedy aussies . best thing to do is take steps now to prevent others following suit , shut the door on any Aussies turning up on these shores in the future , and get those making their was through our leagues contracted with a some sort of financial handcuffs , before they turn our speedway into an amateur circus sideshow like theirs .

SO you simply ignore all the good seasons Holder had, the pure joy he, especially with Darcy Ward, provided not just to Poole fans but speedway supporters in general. There was a time when EVERY Elite league track (as it was then) admitted their best crowds of the season came when Poole with Holder and Ward riding were in town. Australian riders in general have made a massive contribution to speedway here over decades and the fact that many now also ride elsewhere is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

If you were offered a job but your prospective employer was unable to tell you when you would be required you might be sceptical about accepting. That is what a number of riders (not just Australian) are asking for.

yes it was an absolute pleasure watching him fence Chris Harris in the playoff final , terrific , and the bonus for you is of course he's not German . or you would be starting a whole anti holder thread

• Like 2

looking at the situation realistically , we have only had these problems with Australians since big money was available in Poland , previous to that they were happy to race here in the leagues structured as they were and take what money was on offer , , had Doyle not had some sort of knock on the head which made him step up a gear and remained a 3rd heat leader at championship level , you wouldn't be hearing a peep out of him , I would say Holder is a spent force and who cares what he does from here on , Doyle is a greedy mardy arse who's too far up his own arse , if he wants to race in Poland fine let him go and no coming back. no point us worrying about a couple of greedy aussies . best thing to do is take steps now to prevent others following suit , shut the door on any Aussies turning up on these shores in the future , and get those making their was through our leagues contracted with a some sort of financial handcuffs , before they turn our speedway into an amateur circus sideshow like theirs .

The problem is, it isn't just a couple of greedy Aussies. If you look at the previous page you will see that most of the current crop of GP riders have ridden in Britain at some point. However, only three remain. Doyle has provided some insight into why so many of the top riders see the Britain league as merely a stepping stone on to larger things.

You may say, "who cares" and that they should be allowed (or even encouraged) to leave, but the simply fact is that over the last decade the top riders have gradually moved away from British speedway and at the same time fan numbers have decreased across the board. You can say this is correlation rather than causation and of course there is a vast plethora of factors which impact numbers, but in my opinion the loss of the top riders is the single biggest factor in dwindling crowds.

The problem is, it isn't just a couple of greedy Aussies. If you look at the previous page you will see that most of the current crop of GP riders have ridden in Britain at some point. However, only three remain. Doyle has provided some insight into why so many of the top riders see the Britain league as merely a stepping stone on to larger things.

You may say, "who cares" and that they should be allowed (or even encouraged) to leave, but the simply fact is that over the last decade the top riders have gradually moved away from British speedway and at the same time fan numbers have decreased across the board. You can say this is correlation rather than causation and of course there is a vast plethora of factors which impact numbers, but in my opinion the loss of the top riders is the single biggest factor in dwindling crowds.

Well we can't afford them, they consider our tracks dangerous and Polish Speedway controls what they can and can't do. If things go wrong elsewhere and they start to drift back, fair enough. Meanwhile we need to look at what we actually have and make the best job of it, if only we could agree what that 'best' actually is. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

When you have riders like Hancock ( love or hate him) who been and done it all saying that riders need to come here to learn their trade then that tells me that this is still an important league/s within the sport .They are vastly different to the wide open spaces of Poland etc and that is the very point ,there is less room for shall we say Mr Doyle's robust riding style plus like all sportmen/women once they taste success it often taints their point of view.

Edited by FAST GATER
  • Like 1

Well we can't afford them, they consider our tracks dangerous and Polish Speedway controls what they can and can't do. If things go wrong elsewhere and they start to drift back, fair enough. Meanwhile we need to look at what we actually have and make the best job of it, if only we could agree what that 'best' actually is. :rolleyes:

It is interesting. 10 years ago some clubs had TWO GPs riders, I know Swindon did for a couple of seasons. I'd be interested to know with the benefit of hindsight whether the promoters felt speedway was more sustainable back in those days of higher costs, but higher crowds, compared to today, where the costs are lower, but the crowds are too.

yes it is , we don't have to train Europeans ,so when they decide against riding here we have lost nothing.

It is interesting. 10 years ago some clubs had TWO GPs riders, I know Swindon did for a couple of seasons. I'd be interested to know with the benefit of hindsight whether the promoters felt speedway was more sustainable back in those days of higher costs, but higher crowds, compared to today, where the costs are lower, but the crowds are too.

Gp was 6 rounds , and Poland hadn't dangled the carrot ,no comparison with current problemsd

It's odd that supporters think they can spend so much time on here slagging off the state of British speedway, but when a rider does it he gets criticised for it.

If all the top riders are saying it's a pain riding in the UK and the tracks are not good, is it not possible that just somebody could take notice rather than a mass "stuff 'em" attitude until none are left?

I, personally, believe the riders when they say these things as there are s many saying them. And Jason has stayed here longer than most have. Perhaps they just want things to improve, the same as everyone else.

Edited by grachan
  • Like 8

It's odd that supporters think they can spend so much time on here slagging off the state of British speedway, but when a rider does it he gets criticised for it.

If all the top riders are saying it's a pain riding in the UK and the tracks are not good, is it not possible that just somebody could take notice rather than a mass "stuff 'em" attitude until none are left?

I, personally, believe the riders when they say these things as there are s many saying them. And Jason has stayed here longer than most have. Perhaps they just want things to improve, the same as everyone else.

WELL said ...

yes it is , we don't have to train Europeans ,so when they decide against riding here we have lost nothing.

So you think Aussie riders own us something for training them? I think that is fair. However, most are incredibly loyal to Britain, in fact the only riders who have thumbed their noses are Ryan Sullivan and Jack Holder. I don't think you can question the loyalty of Doyle, Holder, Schlein, Crump, Adams etc. Therefore I am confused about what point you're trying to make. Do you think they should rider here but not be allowed to voice any negative concerns?

Gp was 6 rounds , and Poland hadn't dangled the carrot ,no comparison with current problemsd

GP was nine rounds in 2005 and ten in 2006 when Adams and Richardson rode for Swindon. Either way, I'm not sure of your point. When have Aussie riders missed British league meetings to ride in the GPs. I can't recall any recently.

I used to go to Halifax, they had some good riders at times but often they didn't, eventually we moved to the Bradford track and richer promoters were able to fill the side with mainly top internationals every season. Halifax had pretty steady crowds and although the stadium was tatty we loved the steeply banked track. The big Odsal track held all the top meetings but I found it rather predictable, whether that was the case with everyone I don't know but for some reason it just died and when it closed supposedly to build a superdome, the crowds were so low it was embarrassing to be there. So I wouldn't blame any promoter who refuses to risk everything on paying massive wage bills on the off chance that it would sufficiently raise crowd levels (it probably would but only for a short while).

• Like 2

So Doyle has basically put himself in the shop window by working his way through British clubs that have little choice on the nights that they run, now that his stock is now sought after across the world he now deems it not for his liking!

Doyle you are a great ambassador for Australian Speedway and any Aussie youngster trying to break in to world speedway, but the platform for them to do so(British speedway) you are now basically either holding a gun to or washing your hands of.

British speedway has been around a lot longer than the likes of Doyle, Holder, Batchelor and co.

• Like 5