British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Somerset Rebels Vs Poole Pirates 01//09/17

I had a chat with your promoter last night at Lynn and he comes across as a very go ahead chap. Doubt you could wish for a better promoter. Rye seem to be in very safe hands and for a first season have done very well.

Well well well what a night of speedway which had everything! A huge crowd, Somersets biggest of the season, hundreds of travelling Poole fans making a ton of noise (at the end) and some great racing played out in a very tense atmosphere.

Somerset raced into a big lead and it looked all over, but suddenly Poole got their hands on the far superior gates 2 and 4 and two 5-1s on the bounce brought us back into it. With drawn heats and the meeting running out it came down to the wire. Pirates would simply not be denied. With ruthless utter determination Kurtz led down the back straight and a great cutback from Hans brought him into second entering the third bend. Lawson battled for 4 laps but Brady was not going to be caught. With Josh G tailed off the hundreds of Poole fans erupted as we took the win. A magnificient performance of true grit and determination not to be beaten and the Poole Pirates which we all know and love showed themselves for the first time this season.

For Poole.

Brady started poorly but improved as the meeting went on.

Starke battled for his points. Could have scored more but pulled up when third as he thought he heard something wrong with his engine. There was nithing wrong!

Kennett was excellent and did a blinding third to first ride in heat 14 to draw the heat and save the meeting.

Lahti was excellent. Really showing his class.

Georgie Wood was out of his depth.

For Somerset.

Josh G was very good most of the night.

Wright was unlucky not to have been in heat 15. Excellent around this track.

Hougaard battled but two poor rides.

Greebo was very good. Unfairly excluded in heat 13 when Josh G brought him off.

Doolan ran out of steam.

Kerr was consistent all night.

That's what speedway is all about. Would have made a brilliant tv meeting. Speedway the winner tonight.

Time for Swindon to pick us now. And more than happy if they do. We have nothing to fear from Swindon. No pressure on us at all. All the pressure is now on Swindon. They are expect to brush us aside and make the final. Let them try. Poole are not the same team that was falling apart in mid season. Our confidence has grown. The team has now gelled and is battling for everything.

Swindons bubble is bursting. Rye ripped them apart tonight and although they had a couple of riders missing they are not the force many of their fans think they are. We can go into the semis knowing we have every chance of reaching the final, against all the odds.

Lets do this!

For all you Poole fans out there ;)

https://www.facebook.com/richard.hayes2992/videos/1497722323598617/

I can only comment on what was obviously a hard fought meeting, from the live updates. I wasn't there, okay?

I am curious though, from the stats that I managed to glean, just how critical was the coin toss?

For me, I would always defer my choice to heat 15 if I was team captain (I can dream) and I won the toss.

My logic is that gate advantage varies from week-to-week at most tracks so choosing gates in heat 1 can be a lottery. By heat 15, you know if one pair of gates is significantly better.

I can only comment on what was obviously a hard fought meeting, from the live updates. I wasn't there, okay?I am curious though, from the stats that I managed to glean, just how critical was the coin toss?For me, I would always defer my choice to heat 15 if I was team captain (I can dream) and I won the toss.My logic is that gate advantage varies from week-to-week at most tracks so choosing gates in heat 1 can be a lottery. By heat 15, you know if one pair of gates is significantly better.

There was confusion about the coin toss. The announcer said Poole had won the toss and would consider the gates before making the choice. A few minutes later it was announced Somerset had won the toss and chosen 2-4. Clearly the home side knew 2-4 were better from previous meetings and so it proved. Gate 4 won 6 of the heats.

So, at the end of the day, it is what I guess you'd call the big 4 that take their places in the semis.

Big win for Poole, and it's clear that Poole fans now believe the title is theirs already, based on tonight's win.

Although those in Dorset think they are favourites I'd say it's a pretty even play offs with all 4 sides having a chance and no safe picks.

Obviously I hope Swindon can win but, as I posted a couple of days ago, they probably peaked just a bit too early, with David Bellego failing to score while the Pirates are hitting form at the right time.

Maybe I'll wait for the Belle Vue fans to congratulate Swindon on winning the title because they came top of the league and try to convince myself it's true!!

On form it's Poole's to lose now. I can see it coming.

Well done to Rye House, too, for giving things a good go in their first season in the top flight.

.....amazing how good gate 4 was but how bad gate 3 was....

For the record, there were 7 winners from gate 4 and 28 points scored. From gate 3 only 1 winner and a total of 16 points scored. Respectively the best and worst gates.

The real mystery is why? I've gone to look at gates before now after a meeting and there is often no obvious difference. Could such disparages be eliminated or at least reduced by better grading / raking?

Edited by False dawn

So, at the end of the day, it is what I guess you'd call the big 4 that take their places in the semis.

Big win for Poole, and it's clear that Poole fans now believe the title is theirs already, based on tonight's win.

Although those in Dorset think they are favourites I'd say it's a pretty even play offs with all 4 sides having a chance and no safe picks.

Obviously I hope Swindon can win but, as I posted a couple of days ago, they probably peaked just a bit too early, with David Bellego failing to score while the Pirates are hitting form at the right time.

Maybe I'll wait for the Belle Vue fans to congratulate Swindon on winning the title because they came top of the league and try to convince myself it's true!!

On form it's Poole's to lose now. I can see it coming.

Well done to Rye House, too, for giving things a good go in their first season in the top flight.

Sorry Grachan you can try and deflect but Swindon are clear favourites. And many of the Swindon fans want Rosco to pick Poole, so they can 'smash them' in both legs.

Well I say, bring it on. Pirates have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

• Like 1

Sorry Grachan you can try and deflect but Swindon are clear favourites. And many of the Swindon fans want Rosco to pick Poole, so they can 'smash them' in both legs.

Well I say, bring it on. Pirates have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

If you think Swindon are favourites, how come you were saying that their bubble had burst?

Which one is it?

You and Gater1 clearly thinking you have it in the bag now, judging from your posts on here.

• Like 1

Time for Swindon to pick us now

Not so sure... Rosco (and Matt) would love a south coast final £££.

Time for Swindon to pick us now

Not so sure... Rosco (and Matt) would love a south coast final £££.

Pretty sure Swindon will pick Poole because it would be guaranteed to attract the biggest away support.

You couldn't be sure either would get to the final if we picked someone else.

It's taken a few pages of utter drivel between the usual suspects to actually talk about a cracking speedway meeting at the OTA.

This was a superb meeting. A huge crowd, a tense atmosphere and two sets of riders giving everything for their clubs.

A fine evening with a slick dusty track still served up some great racing. You have to hand it to Poole. A magnificent fight back by them. It was almost as if they smelt a wounded animal, before moving in like a pack and going for the kill. All of a sudden, the entire Pirates side save for Wood, seemed to click at the same time. Kenneth had his best ever meeting at the OTA, Lahti was a revelation at reserve Starke after two engine failures whilst well placed suddenly sprung to life, and Hans Andersen was once again a terrific team player. His 3 bonus points won the Pirates this match. Although not on the fastest engine, he showed his class and experience by team riding where necessary, blocking the run of the quicker Rebels riders, and coming up with the goods when it really mattered.

Heat 13 was costly for the Rebels. Graczjonek in his eagerness to get on level terms with the fast gating Pirates, simply scythed Lawson down and was wrongly excluded. Kerr breaking the tapes in heat 14 was crucial also as Doolan was very sluggish And had got worse with each ride.

Lawson made a welcome return to form and was electric from the gate. However, Hougaard was once again poor. Whether he is still suffering from his recent injuries I'm not too sure, but his run of scores for the Rebels of late, must surely put his place in the Somerset side for next season in jeopardy.

Charles Wright was once again mustard to watch. He appears to ride a tyres width from the fence and it is almost a shock to see him go anywhere near the kerb!

A disappointing end to the Rebels first season in the top league, but the biggest crowd of the season were rewarded here for sure.

I do understand supporters that have become frustrated with the sport with all the chopping and changes, but tonight's meeting made me realise why I go to speedway., and what a great sport it is.

As Mr Shovlar said, the Poole fans suddenly came to life in the last few heats and I would estimate around 250 to 300 of them celebrated as wildly as the Pirates riders as Kurtz crossed the line in heat 15.

Poole are a real threat now, and will be a tough nut to crack in the play offs.

Saw Charles Wright do the same round our place recently ER, definitely one to watch into 2018, hope he progresses further.

So playoffs time, clean slate. Wondered if Robins would choose BV, no chance now imo. Pirates home & away ticks too many boxes,not to mention very winnable. Leaves Wolves & BV to slug out the other semi final - assuming Fricke & Bewley fully fit, that's a 50/50 tie, both sides go well at each others tracks.

Credit to Somerset & Rye for pushing so hard in debut season in top flight. Some great playoff speedway in store, may the best team win..

Greebo was very good. Unfairly excluded in heat 13 when Josh G brought him off.

Lawson had been superb for Somerset and was unbeaten. Brought down and wrongly excluded in heat 13.

Whilst not specifically written in the rules, it's generally accepted that a rider isn't excluded for causing his team mate to fall. Where two team mates come together and one falls, it is always the fallen rider who is excluded.

Whilst there is no mention of this particular situation in any of the rules, those relating to exclusions state that 'The referee shall disqualify the rider, who in his/her opinion is the primary cause of the stoppage, has indulged in foul, unfair, dangerous or reckless conduct that’s jeopardised the fair chance of an opponent.'

​The pertinent part of that rule are the final seven words (underlined above), so as the riders in this situation are team mates, the so called guilty rider, can't be excluded, and he has not jeopardised the fair chance of an opponent, therefore the primary cause of the stoppage is the fallen rider, and not the team mate who may have caused him to fall.

I have never yet seen a rider excluded for knocking off his team mate, but I've seen plenty of 'fallen team mates' excluded, in fact every time.

Edited by womble53

Agree with Shovlar we have nothing to lose now whatever happens I am proud of the boys.

We have got a great chance against Swindon.

They are overrated imo. Facing patched up teams constantly at the right time and that's the only reason why they finished top.

Personally I think Wolves will win the league. I hope I am wrong.