British Speedway Forum
Paulco

Glasgow Tigers V Sheffield Tigers Cl Sat 2nd Sept 2017 @7pm

What a fantastic result for us Yorkshire Tigers; really didn't expect anything out of this meeting when Bjerre was ruled out. Whilst I'm loving the winning run we are on (must be a record for us) no silverware has been won as of yet. We all know the playoffs can produce surprises like we did last year to get to the final.

I'm sure Glasgow will come again; very powerful side when all on it and Ipswich will be a very hard team to beat over 2 legs. Never count out Edinburgh neither.

Should be an entertaining playoffs; hope above all that all teams involved have their No.s 1 to 7 available and may the best team win when it counts.

I don't understand how a team cannot be crowned league champions when they finish top of the league. I fully understand that the play off system is a good one (how many times can you say that about speedway) but virtually every year the play off winners are determined by injuries and/or weather and/or guests, and its down to luck not being the best team over the year.

Surely it makes more sense to have another title (League Shield?) to maintain the end of season interest.

• Like 7

Notice Stewart left scratching his head after tonight.

Think we all know the problem our big riders go missing when it matters most surely he can see that without the head scratching.

To be fair while I Agree the big riders have went missing at times,I'm sure you expected abit more from Smith when he was signed( probably next Bewley) but he has been pretty poor and not a lot of improvement and Lunna spends most of his seasons injured which does not help.Your still in there though which is what matters. Edited by Fromafar

Has anyone thought of giving it a try WITHOUT this obsessional grading and packing of the track after heat ten which almost always seems to benefit the opposition?

Said that last night. Tractor drivers were champing at the bit to get out when the kids race was on, maybe we should do a normal grading and see where that takes us.

Edited by tyretrax
  • Like 3

I don't understand how a team cannot be crowned league champions when they finish top of the league. I fully understand that the play off system is a good one (how many times can you say that about speedway) but virtually every year the play off winners are determined by injuries and/or weather and/or guests, and its down to luck not being the best team over the year.

Surely it makes more sense to have another title (League Shield?) to maintain the end of season interest.

Couldn't agree more this is how it should be but in most previous seasons the best teams in recent times Edinburgh , Somerset , and this year Sheffield have and should win the league.

Ironically the last team to win it without a play off was Glasgow 2011.

To be fair while I Agree the big riders have went missing at times,I'm sure you expected abit more from Smith when he was signed( probably next Bewley) but he has been pretty poor and not a lot of improvement and Lunna spends most of his seasons injured which does not help.Your still in there though which is what matters.

Wasn't really sure what to expect from Jack but one thing is he will have benefitted greatly from this season at both levels, Dan I reckoned would increase to around 6 - 6.5 so is thereabouts these are young riders and thus you have inconsistent meetings, but watching them progress gives you the most enjoyment.

Nike is box office and these type of riders come at a risk as there never say die attitude often means more risk, first name on the team sheet for me next season depending on structure.

We are still in there on both fronts but there will need to be a big upturn on our heat leaders form to stand any chance.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more this is how it should be but in most previous seasons the best teams in recent times Edinburgh , Somerset , and this year Sheffield have and should win the league.

Ironically the last team to win it without a play off was Glasgow 2011.

And we wouldnt have won if it was a play off having run out of steam in mid to late summer.

And we wouldnt have won if it was a play off having run out of steam in mid to late summer.

Newport made some shrewd changes and would probably have won it if there was a play off that season.

That actually had to be seen to be believed last night . Most of the talk beforehand was " this will be a walkover , Sheffield only have half a team " , well as it turned out that was all they needed to end our unbeaten home record .

In previous weeks i.e. Workington and Redcar , we had raced into a big lead , then collapsed in a heap - that was away from home . At home we'd managed to muddle through .

Last night half way through the meeting we'd established a 30-18 lead by heat 8 and all looked well . Racing had been crap up to that point , but we were winning comfortably so all was well .

However , by that time the two wobblers had done their three rides and Grajczonek and Howarth were looking in the mood . Howarth and Graversen then took advantage on tacky ride time to register a 7-2 , then between the 4 Sheffield men they chipped away and entering heat 13 they were only 3 points behind . Cue the Sheffield big two to go into overdrive and Glasgow's spearhead to go missing and the most unlikeliest of away wins had come to fruition .

Since Berwick things haven't been right in the Glasgow pits , and if that doesn't change and soon then the season will fizzle out in disappointment .

The travelling band of Sheffield fans were wonderful throughout and were justifiably thrilled by what they had just witnessed , I shudder to think what would have happened had they been at full strength last night . The title looks to be heading to Yorkshire this season .

• Like 3

Newport made some shrewd changes and would probably have won it if there was a play off that season.

2011 - Probably right. Glasgow won it (the league) by about 11 or 12 points. Which makes a mockery of the playoffs system. Agreed the league should be decided by the total number of league points.

Wasn't the famous rain-off and the eventual restaging in bright sunshine with the visiting support turning up with umbrellas very late on in the season and Glasgow ran out comfortable winners. From memory the league lead was increased the last month of the season so they gained momentum rather than lost it that year?

Sheffield look favourites or Ipswich.

Agreed. Those two were my pick at the start of the season.

Don't normally comment on individual matches, expected a smilar score but for Glasgow to win, but have to say Sheffield did very well indeed to win away with just 4 scoring riders. I remain big fan of the play offs despite the fact if they had been in operation in 2004, Hull Vikings wouldn't have won the league. We lost Ross Brady then the late Emil Kramer to injury and came very close to running out of steam. I also remain a Hull Vikings fan so it kinda pains me to say it but Sheffield will probably win the league, gotta be theirs to lose....

Edited by Martin Mauger

shaedenfreude ;) surprised it was worrell who went walkabout when needed.

shaedenfreude ;) surprised it was worrell who went walkabout when needed.

Who's he is this a new signing we have made without our knowledge.

Based on his performance last night , Josh Grajczonek must be a good bet for the riders championship here later this month . The way he stalked then reeled in and passed Richard Lawson during heat 11 last night reminded me of watching Shane Parker at the height of his powers round Ashfield .

• Like 3

Based on his performance last night , Josh Grajczonek must be a good bet for the riders championship here later this month . The way he stalked then reeled in and passed Richard Lawson during heat 11 last night reminded me of watching Shane Parker at the height of his powers round Ashfield .

We've been saying the same thing about Josh G for the last couple of months. Very reminiscent of Shane Parker round Owlerton in that all his passes are clean and come about through track craft (and rapid bikes) rather than him just shoving people out of the way. Class rider.
  • Like 3

Said that last night. Tractor drivers were champing at the bit to get out when the kids race was on, maybe we should do a normal grading and see where that takes us.

nothing to do with glasgow but ive often wondered about this at other tracks ive been to the track men want there own track time so much they often prep it for away teams advantage

Who's he is this a new signing we have made without our knowledge.

another clever d### english teacher i take it

why are somany on forums so quick to ridicule spelling mistakes and typo errors

im not too proud to admit im not the best speller

but really have you nothing better to do im sure your 100% at everything you do in life