British Speedway Forum
archie21

Racing On Set Nights

In theory, Friday should be more accessible than Thursday due to the majority of people not having to go to work/school the following day. Do you think the declines compared to Thursdays is purely habit or are there other reasons?

My guess is purely habit - as far back as I can remember Speedway night is Thursday night. I guess that if that night changed permanently the crowds may hold up once they get used to it but it's a leap into the unknown.

I agree that in theory it should be more accessible - but hard to break that habit!

I MAY be wrong but I thought the idea of set race-nights wasn't necessarily about attracting the "top" riders back to the UK but, if two leagues remain, trying to ensure that there are no fixture clashes between Premiership and Championship sides.

posted in "Fixed Race Nights For 2018

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

There has been long running problems in British Speedway & Rome was not built in a day so what do we, the supporters, want to see & be achieved, over a period of time. Buster Chapman became Chairman at the AGM at the end of the 2015 season & said straight away it was too late to make changes until the AGM in Nov '16.

As there was a steady drop of top riders over the years, they decided to bring in a 1 average system for the PL & CL, bring back the present race format & doing away with the EDR system at the same time, hoping to bring the racing & results closer. They brought in promotion/relegation although I don't think this was thought out enough because of the amount of riders doubling between the 2 leagues.

What will fixed race nights achieve or what do we want them to achieve?

Which nights to be used? .......These must be nights that do not interfere with the other leagues so Monday(used by Sky & now BT Sport) & Wednesday. Choosing 2 nights together like Wednesday & Thursday means teams from the CL would have to change nights which would cause a greater problem.

Entice top riders back? .......What most are doing, because of the Polish ruling, is race on, almost, fixed race nights in 3 leagues in Poland, Sweden & Denmark. The few that are racing over here are doing so because they are based here(families, visa, etc) & to race more to be race sharp.

Reduce the amount of doubling up/down of riders? ..........This is a point well raised on here because teams are getting to have no identity as riders(self employed) are riding for numerous teams in both leagues meaning the need of guests & r/r.

The main points for me would be the 1st & 3rd options. There is a problem with fixture planning but teams have not helped each other by getting as many done as soon as possible & to ask other teams to help by rearrangement of their fixtures to assist others. Now there is a mad rush to get meeting in before a deadline date for play off positions. At this stage of the season, there should have been no reason for the KOC final not to have been raced. We know the weather has not been kind these last 2 years, so it has not helped, but let's help ourselves by trying a bit more to get meetings sorted.

What are we trying to achieve by fixed race nights..........................................enticing top riders returning or trying to eliminate/minimize doubling up & guests. I think most people are after the latter so let us sort this issue first.

As we are not sure about what will happen in Polish speedway where riders can only ride in 2 other leagues if they ride in the Polish Elite. They might extend this rule down to their 1st division, also. The Swedish league is struggling with talk of it going 1 league only. Trying to entice top riders back could be looked at for 2019 as we are only talking about half a dozen riders that might not be chasing the money but be after more racing on a variety of tracks or for family/visa issues.

HAVE you read posts 25 and 28?

WHAT if two NL teams felt they could operate in the Championship?

Hadn't, but have now....

Jon cook announced at lakeside yesterday, that the hammers were reapplying to join the top flight next season. Would the crowds turn up in sufficient numbers at arena on a Monday or a Thursday, I have my doubts.

• Like 1

Jon cook announced at lakeside yesterday, that the hammers were reapplying to join the top flight next season. Would the crowds turn up in sufficient numbers at arena on a Monday or a Thursday, I have my doubts.

It looked embarrassingly empty when they last were in the 'top flight' but they must know how far they can stretch and they'll surely be aware of the 'fixed race night' likelihood.

I feel there are many problems for the UK with a set night/s ( Mondays @ Thursdays ). Stadium availability, having to ride on a night that may not be a popular night with the locals etc. Keeping our traditional nights, but having a squad system for the top league, could still attract some of the top stars and also end the curse of too many guests and RR?

Need independent people to run the sport,here's Cook saying I help you out if I get a good deal,bunch of crooks the lot of them.

• Like 1

My guess is purely habit - as far back as I can remember Speedway night is Thursday night. I guess that if that night changed permanently the crowds may hold up once they get used to it but it's a leap into the unknown.

I agree that in theory it should be more accessible - but hard to break that habit!

So what do you suggest then.. :o

can't see Newcastle being happy if they had to change from Sunday's to mondays

Years ago Monday was their traditional race night

. IMO something does need to be done with having set race nights BUT PLEASE PLEASE don't make it so teams must apply to any council for a change of race night as it only takes one person to object as happened in Hull ( Craven Park ) with the Air Horns getting banned. The person worked in the council building and knew who to get on side when they where discussed at a council meeting hence the ban!!

Very interesting, I was told Preston Road residents were encouaged to complain in order for HCC to provided them with free double glazing. This apparently inlcuded propriators of the take away at the traffic lights with Marfleet Lane, who did very good buisness indeed on Wednesday nites. Thing is, I know people living 2 streets away from Craven Park, Stonebridge Avenue, and they mostly couldn't hear the speedway, indeed often they would ask me if the Vikings were even riding at home those weeks....

Edited by Martin Mauger

I have just seen the result of the Kent v Belle Vue meeting " abandoned after heat 13 ( curfew )" I take this as a planning restriction been placed by the local council ?

Very interesting, I was told Preston Road residents were encouaged to complain in order for HCC to provided them with free double glazing. This apparently inlcuded propriators of the take away at the traffic lights with Marfleet Lane, who did very good buisness indeed on Wednesday nites. Thing is, I know people living 2 streets away from Craven Park, Stonebridge Avenue, and they mostly couldn't hear the speedway, indeed often they would ask me if the Vikings were even riding at home those weeks....

This may be what you were told but I know the person who did all the shouting to all the East Hull councillors and was very proud of getting the air horns banned !!

Certainly if Championship meetings are Friday and Saturday they have the best deal re race nights.

Monday in the top league would mean

GP . sat

Poland Sunday

Uk Monday

Sweden Tuesday !!!!!!!