British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bald Bloke

Autographs

Hey mate, you forgot Tom Ledbitter off your list, lost count the amount of times ive watched Olsen team ride him home to a 5/1 at Wolves!

And Bill Powell

And Bill Powell

The list is endless the amount of times ive watched Ole team ride a much slower rider home to a 5-1

• Like 1

I've got the 72 world final program signed by either Bernie or Ivan, can't remember which one

Only you could turn a thread about autgraphs into a barneySid!!! :o

I have a few rarities i guess.Some of the old Ruskies like Korneev and Gordeev and some of the Poles including Jerzy the world champ.Think i even have Mike Bast,the would be world champ :P

Not a barney Iris, but the Red was taking the pee he did say Olsen could not not team ride if so when he watched he must of been Stevie Wonder in disguise.😂😜 Edited by Sidney the robin

The memory bank has just kicked in. I remember getting johnnie Hoskins & jack parkers autographs at the golden jubilee meeting at hackney in 1978. They probably were my last!

The list is endless the amount of times ive watched Ole team ride a much slower rider home to a 5-1

Remember Gordon Kennett passing the team riding Ole Olsen and Alan Molyneux at Wood Lane...brilliant!

• Like 1

1981 was me, Bruce penhall.

I remember trying to get Bruce Penhall's autograph at a meeting at Poole back in the day, trouble is I didn't know what he looked like with his helmet off and apparently I was pestering his mechanic... I was only a wee boy Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

I used to be one of the kids who would try to collect as many autographs as possible after the meetings at Poole in the sixties.

These days I no longer try, but I have a 1967 BSPA handbook that comes out at any opportunity to get the signatures of the now 'veterans' that are in it.

I remember an amusing moment in the pits a few years ago when Greg Hancock signed for the Pirates late in the season.

On his first night in blue and white, he was being mobbed for autographs with a HUGE crowd all around him like a swarm!

Meanwhile, as that was going on, I spotted little Norman Strachan in a quieter corner whereupon out came the handbook.

I can remember smiling to myself as he duly obliged with a look of surprise.

Norman is a weekly visitor to Wimborne Road and we always exchange a few words. I am proud to say I watched him many times in his days as a pirate.

• Like 2

I used to be one of the kids who would try to collect as many autographs as possible after the meetings at Poole in the sixties.

These days I no longer try, but I have a 1967 BSPA handbook that comes out at any opportunity to get the signatures of the now 'veterans' that are in it.

I remember an amusing moment in the pits a few years ago when Greg Hancock signed for the Pirates late in the season.

On his first night in blue and white, he was being mobbed for autographs with a HUGE crowd all around him like a swarm!

Meanwhile, as that was going on, I spotted little Norman Strachan in a quieter corner whereupon out came the handbook.

I can remember smiling to myself as he duly obliged with a look of surprise.

Norman is a weekly visitor to Wimborne Road and we always exchange a few words. I am proud to say I watched him many times in his days as a pirate.

Remember Norman when he rode for 'The Rebels' at Cowley in 1972. Recalled he scored 12 points against the mighty 'Aces' that year.

I haven't asked for an autograph since Sheffield's British League days, I don't think! My first autograph was Ivan Mauger - we knew someone who helped in the pits at the time at Owlerton so he got it for us. Sheffield riders are generally approachable as far as I have seen, and the promotion has had the occasional "meet the rider" events in between 6.30 and 7.00 in recent years where youngsters can have selfies etc.

Re Ole Olsen team riding - we soon learned at Sheffield when Alan Molyneux joined, how good Ole had been!

Edited by Tigerblade
  • Like 2

Are you trying to be clever or not ?? you said OLSEN could not team ride ?"?.i tend to DIFFER ask Moleneux ,Shirra,Stancl, Busk, Miller, Nicholaijsen,Guglielmi if they agree with you did you go to Brandon with your eyes closed. ??

Get out of bed the wrong side, Sidney? A light-hearted remark about how many autographs of one rider you need, and off you go on one! Calm down, calm down!

Anyway, you're wrong, Sidney - what I said was that in my opinion Ole Olsen rode for himself and could never be considered a team player in the mould of a Nigel Boocock or a Chris Harris

Yes, I saw him team ride, particularly mini-Ole Alf Busk, but I still stick by my original comment, which you deviously - or erroneously - misquoted

Not a barney Iris, but the Red was taking the pee he did say Olsen could not not team ride if so when he watched he must of been Stevie Wonder in disguise.

That's naughty, Sidney - and the word is "have", not "of"

Not taking the pee at all, see my correct quote which did not refer to being able to team ride

I recall a couple of Scandinavian visitors of a certain age at Wolves just a few seasons back making a beeline for the pits to get a key autograph. They had one target in mind and were delighted both to get the signature and enjoy an extended chat with their hero -- not the current stars but Alan Grahame, latterly a machine examiner at Monmore.

Five years ago Peter Collins was guest of honour at a classic bike show in Shropshire and I saw him approached by a man for an autograph. The two had one of those "and who should I make it out to?" conversations in the display hall and the man turned to indicate, some distance away, a profoundly disabled young man in a wheelchair. PC promptly bowled over, signed, and chatted to the recipient at length. Top bloke.

Get out of bed the wrong side, Sidney? A light-hearted remark about how many autographs of one rider you need, and off you go on one! Calm down, calm down!

Anyway, you're wrong, Sidney - what I said was that in my opinion Ole Olsen rode for himself and could never be considered a team player in the mould of a Nigel Boocock or a Chris Harris

Yes, I saw him team ride, particularly mini-Ole Alf Busk, but I still stick by my original comment, which you deviously - or erroneously - misquoted

That's naughty, Sidney - and the word is "have", not "of"

Not taking the pee at all, see my correct quote which did not refer to being able to team ride

Maybe i overeacted so i opologise for that Midland but people who get Autographs dont just get it once do they?? Also you are so wrong about Olsen as a team rider superb i will name them all again who benefited by riding with him.Stancl,Moleneax,Busk,Miller,Guglielmi,Nicholaisen, Shirra,Knudsen ask Gary Newbon who was on central sport if he was a team rider or not.!!!!!!

OK Sidney!

I've never known anyone collecting duplicate autographs, but I'll concede to you if folk do

Re Ole Olsen, I don't think I ever mentioned "team riding", other than to answer you by saying I have seen him team ride

I stand by my opinion that he was not a team player in the mould of Boocock or Harris

As for Gary Newbon - don't get me started!