British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bald Bloke

Autographs

I recall a couple of Scandinavian visitors of a certain age at Wolves just a few seasons back making a beeline for the pits to get a key autograph. They had one target in mind and were delighted both to get the signature and enjoy an extended chat with their hero -- not the current stars but Alan Grahame, latterly a machine examiner at Monmore.

Five years ago Peter Collins was guest of honour at a classic bike show in Shropshire and I saw him approached by a man for an autograph. The two had one of those "and who should I make it out to?" conversations in the display hall and the man turned to indicate, some distance away, a profoundly disabled young man in a wheelchair. PC promptly bowled over, signed, and chatted to the recipient at length. Top bloke.

I bumped into PC at Cardiff 2016 in the street outside Cardiff and had my photo taken with him while thanking him for the racing memories.

Went in a nearby pub and had my photo taken with Gary Havelock

Another very nice bloke who had plenty of time for the fans wanting to have a chat with him

Whoops I forgot to say even though I hated those bloody Heathens from Cradley

Alan Grahame and Phil Collins were probably the best team riding duo in every meeting I saw them in.

Edited by Triple.H.
  • Like 1

I recall a couple of Scandinavian visitors of a certain age at Wolves just a few seasons back making a beeline for the pits to get a key autograph. They had one target in mind and were delighted both to get the signature and enjoy an extended chat with their hero -- not the current stars but Alan Grahame, latterly a machine examiner at Monmore.

Five years ago Peter Collins was guest of honour at a classic bike show in Shropshire and I saw him approached by a man for an autograph. The two had one of those "and who should I make it out to?" conversations in the display hall and the man turned to indicate, some distance away, a profoundly disabled young man in a wheelchair. PC promptly bowled over, signed, and chatted to the recipient at length. Top bloke.

Great from PC.I got Ivan Mauger's once,but guess he was in a hurry, as all I got was Ivan :neutral:

Edited by Bald Bloke

OK Sidney!

I've never known anyone collecting duplicate autographs, but I'll concede to you if folk do

Re Ole Olsen, I don't think I ever mentioned "team riding", other than to answer you by saying I have seen him team ride

I stand by my opinion that he was not a team player in the mould of Boocock or Harris

As for Gary Newbon - don't get me started!

I remember sitting next to Shane Warne at an Aussie v Bangladesh game in Cardiff...I know him through him playing for Imperial before he was famous before anyone asks.

This guy came up to him about a dozen times during the course of the day, asking him for his autograph.

I cunningly checked on ebay, and he had already started listing them that morning.

You get the same with people outside football training grounds...serial collectors that sell often to overseas fans.

I've collected speedway riders signatures when a kid...but never since.

But have got Cricket, Golf and F1 when the occasion has arisen. Made a pretty penny when flogging them on in later years. Pays for your day out :-)

Great from PC.I got Ivan Mauger's once,but guess he was in a hurry, as all I got was Ivan :neutral:

You did pretty well. All I got was a squiggle.

• Like 1

My ex-mother in law gave me her autograph book many years ago as it contained some autographs she'd obtained at Brandon when she used to go as a youngster

They turned out to be from 1930, and include Jack Parker, Squib Burton and . . . Tom Farndon!

Needless to say, it's a treasured possession - I wonder if it has any monetary value?

• Like 3

Some really oldies there Midland Red..

I have the following...

Ian Turner, Micheal Lohmann, Derek Harrison, David Gagen, John Louis, Dave Morton, Carl Glover, Terry Betts, Richard Hellsen, Pete Smith, Billy Sanders, Mike Lee, Ole Olsen, Billy Burton, Bent Rassmussen, Craig Pendelbury, Peter Wordingham, Doug Wyer, Reg Wilson, Rodger Johns, Fritz Koppe, Larry Ross, Mick Hines, Colin Richardson, Stefan Salomonsson, Bob Mouncer, Keith White, Tom Owen, Mike Lanham, Kelly Moran, Bobby Beaton, Ivan Mauger(Not seen his signature,but think I just got Ivan), Jimmy Macmillan, Alan Grahame, Bruce Penhall, David Sheilds and John Hack.

I remember Derek Harrison arriving at Lynn in a beat up silver MK2 Cortina,with his bike on a rack on the back.It conked out 30 yards from the pits.So he just put it in gear and held the key on and the starter motor pulled it into the pits lol.

Edited by Bald Bloke

Derek Superted Harrison was a bloody great entertainer.

I think he did a few amateur meetings a couple of years back

Must be 60 ish now.Just checked 58 years young.

Edited by Bald Bloke